Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chinese New Year

Hi all

I am doing chinese new year all next week with the Nursery children and am looking for ideas for different activities or things i can put out as enhancements in the provision. At the end of the week we are going to have a stay and play session with the parents so would also like ideas for a big finale. Has any body got any ideas please??

thanks all

kate :o

Hiya we are doing it aswel nxt week, we are tasting fried rice, prawn crackers. Doing chinese writing onto Red card using black paint, role play resturaunt where they are usin chopsticks. Gonna put them in the play dough area aswell for chn to pick up.

MAING A large scale dragon outside. thats sme ideas anyway

hope it helps xx

We're looking at this too. This week we've made dragon masks and children have had great fun sticking paper streamers (strips of tissue paper), sequins and sparkles, bits of tinsel and some fabric flowers off a broken Lei. They are on the wall at the moment but we're going to do a big dragon dance at the end of next week to some Chinese music.

We've made paper fans - this year's children found the zig zag folding quite hard, but they've helped press the creases whilst an adult did the actual folding. They're on the wall too, with the giant wall fan. Tomorrow they are going to be painting egg box cups which will be threaded onto long pipecleaners to make a dancing dragon next week when the paint's dry.

We're going to have noodles in the messy tray, and they can have a go at picking them up with chopsticks, and they are going to try to eat their snack with chopsticks too.

Quick edit - I've remembered we're doing Chinese Paper Cutting next week too as well!

Edited by Cait

this may sound stupid but how to you do chinese cuttings? also does anyone know any short stories linking to chinese new year that the children could act out???? i know its short notice.

thanks kate :o

A bit like the snowflake idea, but you fold a rectangle of paper into quarters and again if you want to then snip like doing snowflakes. Using red (Chinese lucky colour) and gold or yellow, mount one colour onto the other - see picture attached - it's easier to see than explain!!

Quick edit to suggest acting out the animal race story

post-13453-1265323933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cait

this may sound stupid but how to you do chinese cuttings? also does anyone know any short stories linking to chinese new year that the children could act out???? i know its short notice.

thanks kate :o

We tell the story of Nian a monster like creature who lived up in the mountains. The people in the villages below were afraid of him because he would terrorise them by coming into the villages and try to eat them. One wise man said that the monster was scared of the colour red and of noise, so the people should paint their houses red, wear red and lock their doors, if or when Nian appeared in their village the people should all work together and make lots of noise with pots and pans etc. and chase the monster away.

We enact this story with the children and give them instruments etc. one of the staff plays the monster and we all chase her out of the building making as much noise as we can and then the adults let off poppers this "chases out the old year and lets in the new year".

We make different lengths of string noodles, then use chopsticks to catch them and then when playing with another person you can compare the lengths of the noodles, using different vocabulary dependent upon ability.

You could make Chinese New Year cards - give the children little mini clip-art pics of the different animals in the calendar to stick on red card, then add black felt tips and examples of Chinese scripts to your mark-making area for the children to write in their cards.

Also have looked at exapmles of Chinese art and discussed the recurring themes - nature, birds, flowers, trees etc. Have then used watercolour block palettes to paint our own Chinese watercolours, leaving out the examples for the children to use as inspiration.

There's a Chinese new year tradition that we've had fun with in the past. Children write wishes on paper, attach them onto oranges / satsumas (or we made papier mache ones and painted them orange). They then all take them outside together and throw them up into a tree - if the orange stays in the tree, the tradition is that the wish will come true.

thanks all for the lovely ideas, thanks gwennie for your plan of ideas its fantastic. Really love the orange wish idea will definately add that to the plans.

thanks again everyone

kate :o

Does anyone have the Chinese new year animal story that is child friendly? I tried reading one from a book last year and they didn't understand it. I'd be very grateful if somone could post up a few lines of the story.

Thanks

ppp

Yes, I read the scholastic one and it's not too bad at all - I'll find it and link it for you

Can't find it just now - but there's a powerpoint on TES if you are registered with them

here

Edited by Cait

Thanks Cait!

I'm being a little bit lazy here :o but also my brain isn't that efficient on a Sunday.

Can anyone list a few Chinese foods that would work well in a food tasting activity and are widely available?

Thanks!

ppp

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)