Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minimum Age For Volunteers?

Hi, we have had an offer from the older sister of one of our children to help out one day a week during part of the session. She is 16, would she be allowed to come and help or is there a minimum age for volunteers? I just know one of you will be able to give me a speedy answer and I can't bear another phone call to Ofsted, they must think I'm stalking them.

Thanks!

At a recent safeguarding day, we were told that under 18's were classed as children and so would come under our safeguarding policy and that anyone over 16 had to have a CRB. This didnt take into account the 16/17 year olds who go to playgroup on work experience for acouple of weeks though. The lady telling us this said she would look into it but so far nothing back.

That didnt help did it?

I dont think I would get an ey2 completed.. perhaps a mini interview, informal chat completing a form with her details, medical history etc , experience with this age group and a reference (2?) could be taken up, from a teacher perhaps at school - depends on how long she intends to stay.. bit like when applying for a job at the setting...

as to under 18s being classed as children - this also does not take into consideration that we can employ these 'children' at 17 and count them in ratios if we feel they are suitable and fit for the work , we did while they were on apprenticeship.. Doesn't EYFS give 17 as age when we can count them in staff ratios..

Inge

Thanks all, I might give Ofsted a ring just to check exactly how much paperwork is required to let her give us some help. Drives you mad doesn't it, all this bureaucracy? Whatever happened to good old common sense?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)