Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supply Staff?

Sorry to bother you all but I just want to check out a situation....I have a dilemma tomorrow with two members of staff phoning in sick tonight! I have been able to ring my supply list of relief staff drawing blanks with the two regular peeps but have managed to arrange cover using three other people, I for the morning, 1 for the afternoon and 1 for all day....now can I just check with someone in the now - how do I stand CRB wise or qualification wise....I am on the one hand jubliant that after phone calls and hassle I can cover the day but now doubting the ethical consideration of what I have arranged....?

Two of the supply ladies are qualified teachers and one is a nanny for one of our children at nursery...so all of them very able

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice please.......

Well done you! This is the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night!

CRB wise you just need to make sure they aren't allowed unsupervised access to children, and do not provide any intimate care. Qualification wise, the two who have QTS would count as qualified, I imagine. So it depends on the mix of staffing throughout your day - but if the nanny is the only unqualified staff member of a team of three I would imagine you're ok, qualification-wise.

Whenever I run up against issues like this and I consult my early years team they always tell me to do a risk assessment, so that if Mrs Ofsted turns up you can show them you've looked at all the issues involved and have got all the angles covered.

Maz

When I was supply the advice being given ws that managers had to ask to see proof of qualification and CRB. Its also the advice giiven at a recent safeguarding day.

Oh yes, of course - I guess when the ISA comes into force you'll need to get their registration number ahead of time and check that they aren't on any of the lists, too.

Without becoming completely paranoid, you'd need to take every step you can to make sure they are suitable to work with your children, even for the shortest time.

Maz

Really :o .....they are all people I know as well...what a hassle...I graduated with one of the teachers, and one is a supply teacher at my son's school so I know they are geniune...I guess we have to abide by the rules I just feel a bit embarassed about ringing them again to ask them to bring it in tomorrow... xD

Thank you :(

I CRB a list of people I can call on, in the event of need. One is qualified to level 5 and two others are unqualified, but lovely Mums whom I've known for over 6 years. As Maz says, it's down to how you cover yourself for Mrs O, with consideration for continuation of provision

Please remember not to rely solely on a crb check, recomendations and letters of reference are good to have,

I understand that in this case you were desperate it is always good to have a list of people that can stand in last minute with crb references already in place

can i ask - is the crb check only relevant to the place of work it was done for - we recently had someone coming in to do voluntary work whilst she was doing her nvq and although she already had a crb done through the localschool(she helps out in school) we still had to do another crb - x

Yes the guidance from the CRB agencies and I think Ofsted too is that a CRB check is not portable, ie cannot be used in another place. In a short notice circumstance like this, especially if the setting knew the person in question and they did not intend to allow them unsupervised access to the children, I think you could argue that the fact the person had a CRB check for somewhere else helped you to make a risk assessment and not that it meant the person could have unsupervised access. It is a tricky area though and very difficult to deal with, especially if you only find out at 7am!

If you use supply staff from an agency (LEA or privately run ones) you don't need to worry about CRB and qualifications as the agency checks them and the CRB counts for all work done through that agency, although it's always good practise to ask them to bring the CRB along. Agency staff are expensive though so they're not ideal if you're on a budget!

As has already been said CRB checks are not portable, although if you aren't allowing unsupervised access then the rule is they only need one if they are seeing the same group of children more than once a week. As they are only coming in once for supply it shouldn't matter, although I'm not sure if the rules are different if they are part of your staff to children ratio rather than just a visitor.