Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents As Partners

I was just wondering if people could give me some examples of what they do/use to establish Parents As Partners?

Any Ideas or tips would me great!!

Miss Red

Soooooo - referring to my recently completed SEF! :o

Parents are actively encouraged to contribute to their children's Learning Journey folders.........

Daily Contact books - very sucessful - especially for those parents who do not come into the setting on a daily basis, these provide an immediate and constant two way flow of information........

Regular Newsletters.......

Parent's coffee hours or 'stay and chat'...........

Parents questionnaire......

Verbal communication - including opportunities to arrange appointments with key person at a mutually convenient time.......

Noticeboard..........

Prospectus is provided to parents before child's entry.........

Entry record 'My Unique Child' completed by parents before child's entry........

Summative assessments/Individual plans drawn up and shared with parents once per term - space provided for parents to add their comments (this means that they are contributing to planning)

Wow wall - we are not actually doing this yet but have plans to start!

Hope this is helpful!

HI Sunnyday,

I have ticked off nearly all of those, apart from the "coffee morning"!! As we are full day care, we dont really have the space.

But i was looking into doing "Daddies Do Lunch" and invite the dad for lunch!!

My boss wants us doing more, and as you know we cant force them to do everything!!

Just to pick your brain what sort of info do you send out in your Newsletter??

We do the same as Sunnyday, and also have an active Parents committee who meet to plan social events such as fairs, parties and adult nights out at the village pub for supper and a laugh. We have an 'area' of our own on Facebook (closed group for parents only) where we can chat informally, and it gives parents the opportunity to 'have their two-pennorth' if they can't get to meetings.

Oh I love the 'dad's lunch' idea!

Newsletters -

Diary Dates

Themes/Topics - (if any)

Welcome - for 'new starters'

News of what we have achieved and how we intend to build on that (planning)

Local community info.

Invitations to special events - I always mention younger siblings, grandparents - invite them too!

Sometimes I add some EYFS info. e.g. a paragraph about 'play based learning' or similar

I do try not to make my newsletters too long.........might put them off reading them! xD:o

We've just started doing parent workshops. We don't call them that, but for the life of my I can't remember what we DO call them! What about 'Stay and Play' sessions. In the past we have had parents (dads) who would come in and service our wheeled toys, mend the fence etc. How about trips, did Sunnyday mention that? Oh, nearly forgot! We have started a cookery book which parents and the wider community have contributed to. It's to be a fundraiser when I eventually have time to finish it!

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

We've just started doing parent workshops. We don't call them that, but for the life of my I can't remember what we DO call them! What about 'Stay and Play' sessions. In the past we have had parents (dads) who would come in and service our wheeled toys, mend the fence etc. How about trips, did Sunnyday mention that? Oh, nearly forgot! We have started a cookery book which parents and the wider community have contributed to. It's to be a fundraiser when I eventually have time to finish it!

hi LJW - We're just exploring the idea of parent workshops - what kind of thing are you doing? Have you any links for concise info to give parents at all??? -- Please if you don't mind??

I'm just not sure where to start really!

Hi,

We've joined the National Literacy Trust and has subsequently started weekly (different day each week) 'Love of Literacy' sessions where parents are invited back 1/2 hour before the end of the session to join in with story time, story sack, singing, etc. varying what we do each time.

We've only done two and so far they have been really well received!! :(:( They are open to everyone whether they attend pre-school or not - and so far the only parents to come had their children with us in the morning, collected at 11.45 then came back at 2.30!! So it must be good..

We also make a big fuss of dads (and grandads, uncles, brothers...) around Father's day and have a set week when we ask for all male helpers. Done this for the last two years and it works really well - men have a focus and if you tie them down they can book a day off work, we have them come in pairs if they want to (less threatening !*!) And we promise not to make them cook, change nappies (obviously) or dance - might sound sexist but this was the feedback we got ("I don't want to do anything girly!") - so we made a bit of a joke out of it... :o Mums will often put dad's name down on their behalf and then tell them they have to come in he he. It is a brilliant week though and the kids love it - and the dads are expecting it again this year.

We have a 'celebration wall' which is like the wow wall really and the children are given stars to complete. Only just started this but it is going really well - I've just received some personalised stickers which we give out 'celebrate with me' 'xxxx pre-school' - that makes them nag mum/dad to fill out a star!! xD:(

There must be loads of ideas out there I love this site

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)