Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phone Call From Ofsted

Tink69

I have just received a lovely phonecall from Ofsted (just seeing the number come up on my phone made my heart pound) anyway just checking to see if I have started minding yet as I am newly registered and my first inspection is due in the next couple of months. My brain has now gone into panic mode as I have a long list of things I wanted to have ready and now thinking I will not be ready! It is crazy the effect they have on us. I am not new to inspections as was previously a daycare manager so have been through this process before. My poor family will think I have turned into some strange creature. LOL :o

tink69 xD

A call from Ofsted does that!

I'm sure you'll be fine. Concentrate on the "need to have" first and then move on to the "nice to have". If you have a to-do list of the extras, Ofsted will give you credit for knowing what you are aiming for.

The families of most childminders get used to the "weird woman" who takes over their loved one occasionally :o

Nona

Edited by Guest

hi

I am sure you will be fine with your background! Just do as other post said-essentials such as safeguarding,health and safety,first aid, EYFS and of course all personal contact details of your minded children/families.It is a good idea to show Ofsted your to do list and if you can breifly explain what you intend to do in future it will be in your favour. Good luck,keep calm it wont be half as bad as you think!

The families of most childminders get used to the "weird woman" who takes over their loved one occasionally xD

Quite true!

When the wierd woman takes over in our house my family realise that now is the time to help with the housework, do those little jobs that they've been putting off and make a point of tidying up after themselves. Every cloud has a silver lining. :o

Chill. You'll be fine. Let's face it you have to leave them something to pick you up on becasue you can guarantee they'll dig til they find something.

:o I had my phone call yesterday to say that they will be visiting in the next two weeks. I was only talking to a friend earlier in the day saying that I was expecting them to call, as I was due an inspection 6 months ago, and still my hand wouldn't stop shaking for half an hour or so after the call. Why is it the Ofsted turns the most sensible and calm of people into quivering idiots?

:o I don't know - but they have that effect on all of us!!

Good Luck with yours - let us know how you get on.

Nona

p.s welcome to the forum!

• 1 month later...

Well Mrs O will be here next week :o half-term xD so will have the school children as well as my normal day time children, As it will be my first as a childminder now in panic mode in case I have missed anything. Will just have to see what next week brings. Any last minute advice greatly received.

Tink69

Good luck - I'm sure you will be just fine! :o

Don't forget to let us all know how it goes.........

Safeguarding seems to a 'hot topic' (understandably) are you confident in this area - sure you are.......

Oh quick edit to say: Have you seen Helen's reports on the homepage - really useful........

Edited by sunnyday

Tlink 69 - deep breath and.... relax!!!!

I've never yet met an Inspector with horns, a tail or two heads :(

Helen's reports are great. I shared them with a friend before her recent childminding inspection and she says they were spot on!

Try not to panic, the Inspector knows it's your first inspection and that you'll be nervous. Have everything YOU want to show the Inspector in a folder so you can refer back to it to refresh your mind if you go blank! Don't be afraid to ask for time to think if you need it - it's not Mastermind and there's no timer ticking in the background :o

Being halfterm and having older children there may be a benefit. They'll be able to answer questions for the Inspector (hearing the child's voice) and may also distract the little ones from the inspector's lovely, shiny laptop xD

Good Luck - let us know how you get on.

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)