Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

12th Night

SueFinanceManager

It's supposed to be bad luck if you keep them up! Whatever that may mean.We make our own 'luck' I think. We keep the tree up to greet epiphany which is tomorrow. I hate the bare looking house when they all come down.

I'll be glad to see my bear back. He will love the snow we have at the moment.

Well not really I think there are two views on when 12th night is depending on whether you count from sundown on Xmas Eve or from Xmas day. I'm not hauling my tree outside today anyway as it will spoil the snow with all the needles falling off. The view from my windows is just stunning, as the snow still falls heavily!

For some Christians, Christmas doesn't fall until 7th January anyway. I've read that somewhere recently

We were discussing festivals at our staff meeting yesterday, and noticed that Zoroastrians celebrate Christmas on 7th January!

Maz

It is the Eastern Orthodox Church which celebrates Christmas on January 7th as they work to a different calendar, the Julian calendar, which is 13 days behind ours. As far as 12th Night and decorations go, the Nativity crib is not taken down until Candlemas, so some Christians will leave it up until then. Candlemas is on February 2nd and this was when Mary’s firstborn son was bought back from God by making a sacrifice, according to Jewish practise. Mary was also purified after giving birth. Zoroastrianism is not a Christian religion and they do not celebrate the ‘Mass of Christ’ so not Christmas, but the Magi are Zoroastrian Mages, or Magi, and it is from this Persian religion that the traditional names of the Magi come from. They follow the teachings of the prophet Zoroaster, sometimes called Zarathustra.

There are lots of versions of the Christmas Story, and so much is influenced by other religions and their traditions. The bad luck associated with 12th Night harks back to the Pagan belief in spirits living in the greenery, and if it wasn’t put outside on 12th Night to free the spirits, then they would wreak havoc on the house and family. Many Pagan traditions were woven into Christian tradition, such as eggs at Easter.