Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Getting Paid In A Playgroup!

Hi

I am currently a childminder but have the opportunity of joing a playgroup and I wondered how I would be paid.

It's term time only so I have assumed you get paid during the term and during hols you don't get paid - is this right?

It's a job I really want but dh is worried about paying the bills if i'm not being paid for 13 weeks a year and i just wondered if i have assumed right or if the salary is averaged out throughout the year.

Thanks

It think it really depends on the individual setting. In my last group pay was averaged over the year. In my current setting, we will be paid holiday pay in August, and we are paid for what we actually do each month. Perhaps you could ask the playgroup how people are paid in their setting as it is all new to you.

Our staff are paid monthly with the yearly salary being rolled up and split over 12 months so they always know how much they will be getting. Holiday is also rolled up this way but I've recently found out its unlawful so theres another job!

You'll probably find everyone is a little different, our staff are happ with how they get paid but others might have another preference.

We do the same, spread ours out over 12 months.

Rea, I just found out that bank staff also have to get holiday pay, all this personnel and legal stuff does my head in. I'm not quite sure why we're supposed to be experts, thank goodness for the ACAS helpline!

now that's very interestimg thank you all for your replies!

I think I better call the manager monday morning

i had just assumed I wouldn't get paid in the hols but if there's a possibility I might it makes the opportunity even more promising!

What do you all expect of your level 3's? Do they carry out supervisor duties or are they not necessarily supervisors but carry out a more senior role?

Thanks everyone

Our playgroup has 4 staff, 1 level 5 the other 3 level 3. They all muck in and do the jobs required with the overall running the responsibility of the playleader who is also the safeguarding officer.

The deputy is also the SENco, the other two have responsibilty for behaviour, training, health and safety and equal ops in that they are the named person, but these responsibilities are mostly shared. They each have their own key groups and bring planning together at staff meetings. They take turns packing away and preparing snack, but amongst themselves they have worked out who registers the children, does circle time etc.

Suzie, I attended a training day yesterday for safeguarding and business planning and told the DWs present that training for committee memebrs, most of whom have no childcare background, would be most beneficial.

Edited by Rea

Every setting is so very diferent you would really need to ask them how they run the sessions, pay and conditions etc...

we used to be paid monthly or weekly for hours worked and holiday pay at set times each year... then it became a regular monthly salary with yearly hours added together, and divided by the months... some had it weekly so it was divided by the weeks...

as we were paid while we were closed in august they included the holiday pay in the calculation and then said that as we were paid while closed this classed as being paid for holidays...

They decided that to have it rolled up meant that you did not get any pay while you were not working but only the 38 weeks a year and holiday pay was included in those 38 weeks.. but as we were paid 52 weeks a year we were obviously being paid while not working so it was not really classed as rolled up pay... does they make any sense to anyone.. it did when they d explained it and they had taken advice that this was Ok to do..

as to duties.. we were al level 3 so all did all jobs arranging between ourselves each day who did what tasks and was responsible for different things like ensuring register done, story time, etc.. other setting I worked in only the leader ever did it.. a job description should give indication of level of responsibility... but in most settings it only had a bearing on the ratios.. we always all did all jobs..

Also you need to remember that just because you are being paid all year does not mean it will equate to a full time wage - even if you work full time as the 38 weeks income + holidays has been split over 52 weeks... to cover the times you would not usually get paid as you are not at work..

Inge

Inge

• 1 month later...

We to get paid for 38 weeks plus 4weeks holiday pay then this is divided over 12 months so that we get the same amount each month.

That way everyone knows what they are getting .

How doe this work ie spreading over 12 months if you work diffrent hours per trm? i i did 29 hr pr week last half term but due to lower numbers had to drop to 24 hrs.

Thank

Hi Marley. We don't do it this way for the staff at our setting for this very reason (and because some in the past took the proverbial and took time off "sick"). I'd be interested if anyone can calculate it easily to take account of this though.

I dont think there is an easy way around this. We dont have flexible contracts, all our staff work the same hours each week. I f someone is sick they either swap or we just pay them (luckily no one has ever been sick long term) I realize that I am lucky in that all the staff have been there for at least 9 years, bar one and she is 4 years, so dont worry about people taking advantage. If it comes to it, then they are just owe us a day, which can be allocated to training or taken off the following years salary. The only way I have ever thought of deducting sessions (moneywise) and it working would be to pay salaries through BACS payments. I did look in to it at the bank but it was so expensive, would have worked out at roughly £30 per month,

Thanks for that reply. We do pay by BACS (it's free for us with Alliance and Leicester if that's any help to you) but my worry would be at working out exactly the amount to deduct for one day off if the wages were spread over a whole year. I'll keep thinking.

Holly you must know how much your staff are paid hourly? Just deduct the number of hours they haven't worked.or add any extra For instance my staff are contracted to work four hours per day. So if they are paid £10 per hour ( for arguments sake) then I would deduct or add an additional £40 to the BACS payment for them that month (with the appropriate tax & NI deducted from it)

Oh yeah I do know their hourly rate. It was just that previously the question was raised about the deduction of straight hourly rate for hours missed if the total wage was averaged out over the year. Someone was concerned that they might be getting less than they should or something like that. To be honest it was all getting so complicated to me that I kind of switched off! But if that seems like the right way to do it then maybe it is something we could revisit. Thanks

you should be getting 5.6wks pro-rata to term time, works out a bit differently to 4 wks

hours worked per wk (A) x 38wks ( :o = ©

divide © by 46.4 = (D)

(D) x 5.6wks = hours holiday entitlement

Would you mind explaining what the 46.4 is, I realize it is probably blindingly obvious but I'm having a brain freeze moment.

THanks

Would you mind explaining what the 46.4 is, I realize it is probably blindingly obvious but I'm having a brain freeze moment.

I'm guessing that they add up to 52 weeks, Deb. If you get 5.6 weeks holiday, your entitlement is worked out on 52 weeks minus your holiday entitlement - 46.4 weeks.

Maz

if you work 38 weeks you should get 4.58 weeks holiday. Yes I add this on to their 38 weeks and divide by 12 months. there has been a lot of debate over this but staff like this as they know what they will get each month.

buttercup

Could you tell me how what the multiplier would be on 39 weeks (or show me how to work it out) - thanks.

I'm guessing that they add up to 52 weeks, Deb. If you get 5.6 weeks holiday, your entitlement is worked out on 52 weeks minus your holiday entitlement - 46.4 weeks.

Maz

Thanks Maz, have a meeting with the Trustees tomorrow one of whom is an accountant and want to be sure of my facts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)