Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ambulance Visit

hello all, i have a child that has epilepsy and has regular seizures many resulting in having to administer medication and calling an ambulance, this forutnately hasn't happened yet but it's only a matter of time! i was wondering if, like the fire service anyone has been able to get the ambulance service to visit their setting i have phoned the local headquarters and not had much luck! i just wanted to invite them in to give the children some idea of what to expect before the event ie. their uniforms and strangers coming into the setting with all their equipment etc etc. and to just be able to put them at ease, we have done lots of role play and have a persona doll who also has seizures!!! but thought that this would be useful. if anyone has any suggestions how i could get them to visit i would be very greatful!!

just realised i've put this in the wrong place sorry don't know how to move it please can a wonderful knowledgable person move it to the right place!!!!!!!!!!! :o

We had an ambulance visit once. It was arranged by one of our parents who was a paramedic. We had to write a letter to the station boss requesting a visit. The children went in in 2's and 3's because of the room. They tried out the masks, lay on the stretchers, looked at all the equipment. You just need to know where your local station is I guess.

Getting a contact in your local Ambulance station is probably key to organising a visit of this kind - if it is anything like contacting the Fire Brigade with a view to arranging a similar visit it can be very difficult until you find that crucial local person who is in charge of this kind of thing.

In any event I've moved this out of the Christmas forum for you - I've put it in curriculum/general issues because frankly I couldn't think of where else to put it. :o

Maz

I think you may find the same problems as the fire brigade - they will be on standby all the time so could turn up and leave almost straightaway! Our fire brigade aren't allowed to do visits any longer to pre-schools, they can go to primary schools, can't remember the explanation for this now but I had a letter from them refusing to visit, we were lucky to have a fire fighter dad at the local fire station who used to pop by with the engine when they were taking it out to "test" things on it after it had been serviced.

thank you for moving it Happy Maz!! thanks for the ideas :o i've got parents who are in the police force, firebrigade and even the burns unit but no ambulance crew i'll do more digging someone must know a friend of a friend that might be able to help me!!

Around 2/3 years ago a small child was run over (it reversed) by an ambulance that was on a visit. The subsequent enquiry in to it found that the people that were visiting schools/groups were no more trained in 1st aid proceedures then we are. I cant remember the exact details, but this was given as a contributory factor in the child death. We had a child who's parents were both paramedics and they always said this was the reason why there where no more visits. However they left us over a year ago so things coudd have changed now.

Have you thought about your local St John Ambulance?

Don't know if it is the same in all areas but in our locality some St John Ambulance members are trained paramedics and support the 999 service in attending calls.

Ambulances are just the same except they have the St John Logo but I don't think that would matter

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)