Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Probation Period

this might sound harsh but i have a new member of staff been with us since september 9 weeks total. She is still on probation till end of Nov. She works thurs and fri morning. out of a possible 18 sessions she has only worked 10. this is really awarkward because of ratios. the staff or children have not had time to relate to her. her reasons for being ill seem valid although another member of staff disagrees with me.

What do I do she is back on thursday after 3 weeks off.

buttercup

To be fair I think it might be an idea to have a word regarding her sickness, especially as her probation period is nearly up.

She should be having reviews as part of the probation anyway? Have you been able to raise this with her before? Or has she been off sick when they were due (joke!)

Sue

I had a member of staff who kept having lots of odd days off 'sick' and excuses ranged from coughs, colds, sore throats and headaches from almost day one! It was her first experience of a child care setting and had no idea the chaos her 'sick' days were causing the rest of the team. I sat down and explained how days off affect the setting and ratio's and that it was not looking good on her attendance record. Almost immediately her days off 'sick' became fewer and fewer and she is now one of my 'top' members of staff, hardworking, reliable and dedicated, so I would say from experience it is well worth sitting her down and having a heart to heart :o

dottyp

If you extend her probationary period and tell her the sick days are the reason she will have an opportunity to change her behaviour if that is what is needed. If she genuinely has been ill it won't continue and you'll see that she is reliable after all.

It may be an idea to find out from someone like ACAS the best way to go about it regarding wording letters etc.

I believe that up to 1 (may even be 2) year she can be dismissed immediately and without a reason, this works both ways, she can walk out on you without giving notice or without a reason.

Have you monitored her sick days, are they the same each week, are they all normings or all afternoons, she could be working for you and also doing other things at the same time :o

she only does a thurs and fri morn so when off both days does seem like she is off all week. in Jan i need her to do more hours but am reluctant to ask her because of track record. I think i might be best extending probation and telling her why and see what happens.

buttercup

this might sound harsh but i have a new member of staff been with us since september 9 weeks total. She is still on probation till end of Nov. She works thurs and fri morning. out of a possible 18 sessions she has only worked 10. this is really awarkward because of ratios. the staff or children have not had time to relate to her. her reasons for being ill seem valid although another member of staff disagrees with me.

What do I do she is back on thursday after 3 weeks off.

buttercup

Hi Buttercup, It is a tricky situation. Did she have a valid doctors certificate. Perhaps explaining the effects her sickness is having on the staff team may prompt her to be off sick less. I explain to new staff before they start that they are joining a small team and that my staff team are normally veryy ill before they take time off as everyone else then has to struggle with an increased workload. It normally works. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Ok realise that I might be speaking out of turn, but have any of you succumbed to the illnesses that the children have? We have found that so many new staff pick up a cold etc very quickly after starting, probably due to all those children who haven't yet learn to blow their nose and the staff member isn't yet immune (and if the staff are ill they shouldn't be working with the children).

Ok it may be that your member of staff is taking the **** but could they just be getting used to working with children?

Rachel

You make a good point Rachel - I can think of two of my staff who suddenly succumbed to heavy colds within a couple of weeks of joining the team. Both were moritifed (never been off sick for years) and hated being off sick so quickly after starting a new job. Once they had been working for us for a few weeks, things settled down so it seems they just needed time for their immune system to build up so that they didn't catch every sniffle the children bring in with them.

Only time will tell, I guess!

Maz