Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk Assessments

hi all

just wondering what kind of risk assessments you do and what sort of things you include on them. Also ohow often do you do them

If anyone has any they are willing to share i would be very grateful

Thanks

Lola

that's interesting Marion.

i have done risk assessment for all our activities we provide the children as well as for the environment both indoors and outdoors.

Our nursery teacher has been told not to do risk assessments by her union as she isn't qualified and if a child has an accident in an area she has risk assessed she may be held responsible.

Goodness! :o

Lola I have attached some info. passed to me by my SIP

Hope it's useful

that's interesting Marion.

i have done risk assessment for all our activities we provide the children as well as for the environment both indoors and outdoors.

We have always done them but since receiving an email saying we shouldn't we are awaiting further information.

bubbles

clay

collaging

compost

construction

cooking

cornflour

den building

food tasting

ice play

jelly

junk modelling

painting

parachute

pasta

planting seeds

playdough

sand

shaving foam

small world

soap flakes

treasure basket

water

treasure_basket.doc

This is the index page from our main risk assessments. We do smaller ones for activities such as dough, or hammering golf tees into a pumpkin etc

FIRE – PREVENTION AND MEANS OF ESCAPE

SLIPS TRIPS AND FALLS

STORAGE OF EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS

USING SMALL PORTABLE ELECTRICAL POWERED EQUIPMENT

CLEANLINESS AND MAINTENANCE

SITE SECURITY

SHARPS/NEEDLES ON PRESCHOOL GROUNDS

GROUNDS MAINTENANCE – HYGIENE HAZARDS

HEATING AND VENTILATION

USE OF EXTENSION CABLES OR EQUIPMENT WITH TRAILING LEADS

DOORS

STORAGE AND ISSUE OF MEDICATION

DEALING WITH BODILY FLUIDS, BLOOD, VOMIT, AND URINE.

VISITS, JOURNEYS, ACTIVITIES AWAY FROM SCHOOL PREMISES

MANUAL HANDLING, INCL. LIFTING AND HANDLING

PRESCHOOL PLAY EQUIPMENT

INDOOR PLAY

OUTDOOR PLAY

HYGIENE ASSOCIATED WITH FOOD PREPARATION

HANDLING HOT ITEMS

USING SMALL SHARP EDGED HAND TOOLS

KUW - POND DIPPING AND SITE VISITS

Our nursery teacher has been told not to do risk assessments by her union as she isn't qualified and if a child has an accident in an area she has risk assessed she may be held responsible.

I was told by the HSE that any competent person could carry them out and they did not need specific training. Can you let me know if this has changed as I'll have to do more training - or stop doing risk assessments. Hmm now which would I prefer?!

Hi Marion,

I just ran this by my husband who is the Health and Safety director for the company he works for. He said

1. You employer i.e. the school, are legally required to have some sort of protocol in place for carrying out risk assessments

2. As holly35 says the HSE do not expect people to be trained in doing these

3. You would actually be exposing yourself more by not carrying out a risk assessment than carrying one out badly. Not risk assessing an activity which then results in serious consequences for a child would be deemed as negligence at best!

Just had a reply from my union (ATL)

"1 Does it need to be done at all?

2 Is the task of an admin or clerical nature?

3 Does it call for the exercise of a teacher's professional skills or judgement?

Clearly risk assessments need to be completed. However it is an admin task and therefore should be completed by a suitably trained and skilled member of the support staff.

hope this helps

Mr xxxxxxxxxxxx"

If a teacher, or someone else, is planning an activity as part of their duties then surely it is their job to do a risk assessment on that activity if necessary not employ someone extra to do that.

Actually it doesn't fall within a teacher's duties and it isn't necessary to employ someone extra to do it just train someone from the support team.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)