Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mod Pod's

Hi,

My I'm currently looking at the way we use the outdoor environment and at my Nursery we have invested in some 'Mod Pods'. I'm just not sure how to use them! Currently I have put a variety of media in them for the children to explore, e.g. sand, stones, shells but I'm sure they must have many more uses. Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers Mel

In my head I imagined some of those smaller square tubs on adjustable legs that you can arrange in lines or in blocks.

I did a quick search for 'mini sand trays' and found this:

post-8466-1257208996_thumb.jpg

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz
To add in photo!

Hi sorry, I didn't know what they were before we bought them. They like bowls on legs with a lid. They are a funny sort of triangular shape so they can fit together in a circle. They are waterproof and are designed for outside use but the bowl part of it is so small only one child at a time can use it. I've run out of ideas for what to do with them. Think they were a waste of money to be honest, I've put different things in them for the kids to explore but they would rather use the sand tray because they can work together and have more space. Any ideas would be good, school paid a lot of money for them. The other item they invested in is child sized gym equipment. It cost a lot of money and the children are bored with it, and so am I to be honest. Has anyone else got this equipment and if so how do you use it? Cheers Mel

I suppose the mod pod idea comes about from an early "form" - 4 'cat litter' trays on a table so that children had individual trays to work in, but all doing the same activity, so sand in each pod, a cup and a spoon, throw a die and put that many spoonfuls of sand in your cup! The individual type trays were quite popular some time back, especially in school settings I believe. Obviously most children like a good old sand pit for the more dynamic sand play.

I think it is a shame as you say to waste such expensive products but this is where those doing the buying don't do the playing! Could you use the gym equipment once a week as an obstacle course set up for the whole group to do at the same time? We set out some ground safety rules with the children before we begin, about not getting to close to the person in front etc., we have a separate tunnel, a steps combination, hoops out to jump in and out of .....etc. etc.... it only takes a few minutes to set up and the children go round the obstacle course in a one way system.

In my head I imagined some of those smaller square tubs on adjustable legs that you can arrange in lines or in blocks.

I did a quick search for 'mini sand trays' and found this:

post-8466-1257208996_thumb.jpg

Maz

Somebody was on a thread a month or two ago trying to track something like this down and we were all giving ideas about washing up bowls etc. cut into tables to try and save her some money. perhaps these two practitioners could get together and play swap shop!

Just found it, Holly35 was trying to find some cheaper versions of these titchytubs

Edited by Panders

Thanks for the replies. We have put a couple inside now and I think they probably work better in this way as the outside environment is best used for large scale activities. Cheers Mel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)