Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pla And Sick Pay

Guest Spiral

Hello,

Our leader has had some bad news regarding her son and sadly needs some time off. We just can't afford to pay for this, but can see that she will be without anything if we don't.

Somebody mentioned that there may be a way for us to claim through our PLA insuance for sick pay, but has anyone else heard of this?

thank you, Spiral.

I think it will depend on what cover the group decided to purchase when it took the policy out - best people to ask are Sun Alliance (assuming they still underwrite the Alliance's insurance policy).

It is a tricky situation isn't it - the last thing she'll need to be worried about at a time like this is money, but sadly there isn't a lot of money floating around in most groups to pay for a long period of absence as well as paying for staff to cover the hours.

Good luck!

Maz

the rule we have as a committee runplace is that if we can cover staff with a committee member (who do it for free) then we can still pay the staff member this maybe one help but not sure if you are committee run?

Salm

check out the inland revenue site for statutory sick pay... if she qualifies you have to pay it, and then you can claim back the majority of it... there are conditions to qualify which depend on hours worked and pay recieved, and it is not a full wage but better than nothing.. I had it for 4 months when I was off sick..

HMRC - sick pay an overview

this link goes to the relevant page and there are calculators to follow which will tell if she is entitled..

this is useful for all settings who do not usually pay as the employee may be entitled to it and you claim majority back..

Inge

Edited by Inge

sorry misread original post.. of course this will apply if she is sick, I very much doubt if you could claim because of illness for a family member on any insurance unless it has a specific clause for it.. most will be for own illness, not seen one for family members.

Inge

Inge is right, unless someone has some sort of special policy you're not going to get any money. My daughter is an HR manager for one of UK's largest companies. They (like most companys big or small) dont pay staff unless they're sick themselves, she says if soemone is off sick long term for imediate family then she would advise them to get signed off for stress.

Wre have PSLA insurance and I cant think of any clause in there that would pay out for sick pay. We had a member of staff of sick for nearly two months last year and she got SSP. I t was really easy andwhoever does your wages should be able to sort it. Without that we would never have been able to pay her as much as we would have liked to,