Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rain Water

Hi all,

Just been round to the pre-school (not working - just walking past!! honest!!) to see our very long awaited and very lovely new wooden canopy which was been erected over half term. It is lovely, lovely lovely!! :oxD

And the best thing is that it has guttering and a drain pipe and my plan has always been to install a water butt so that the children can have free access to the water supply to water the plants in the garden and to enhance their play, etc. directly from outside..

I was so excited when I saw it but now I'm having a mini panic about whether the children should be 'playing' with old rain water.

I'm sure their will be some good comments or experience on this as usual ......

Thank you!! :(:(:(

I would have thought that it won't get chance to be 'old rain water'! I don't see any problem with it at all, my children play with rain water on a regular basis, and to be honest, I'd never given it a thought. They have a pot on the path with paintbrushes in and 'paint' the path whenever they can! I regularly have to top it up with tap water as they use it so much - especially in the summer of course!

I would think that if you keep the water butt covered to prevent leaves, etc dropping in it shouldn't be too much of a problem. As a child I always played with water from my grandma's water butt and I survived!

Hi, this was a worry of ours too but after a bit of research was told so long as the lid is on it shouldn't go slimey.

The Milton tablet is a good idea but a HV pointed out that when we sterilize we always rinse afterwards but the kids would be playing ( and possibly ingesting it) so probably not much safer.

Another tip we got was to put some chicken wire at the top of the gutter going into the butt to prevent leaves etc entering the butt.

The children love the independence of accessing the water, turning the tap etc and understand the cycle of collection... Well worth the investment

The Milton tablet is a good idea but a HV pointed out that when we sterilize we always rinse afterwards but the kids would be playing ( and possibly ingesting it) so probably not much safer.

You don't need to rinse Milton off baby bottles and as you would have a very weak solution in a large water butt I think it would be more akin to swimming pool water than sterilising solution.

I would have thought that it won't get chance to be 'old rain water'! I don't see any problem with it at all, my children play with rain water on a regular basis, and to be honest, I'd never given it a thought. They have a pot on the path with paintbrushes in and 'paint' the path whenever they can! I regularly have to top it up with tap water as they use it so much - especially in the summer of course!

I agree with Cait. We have to fill our water butt every day so the water never does get 'old'. :o

any chance of a photo of the lovely wooden canopy or a link to where you got it from? We need to create outdoor all-weather cover and I've been looking at sails, umbrellas, canopies, awnings but they all make me feel sad at losing our natural garden space (we just moved in last September so it is all still new and the space isn't that big). Looking for ideas, and wooden sounds good (our building is wooden). If there's another thread showing ideas/companies/sources for outdoor cover, can someone point me in the right direction (I am new and can't always find what I am looking for!)? Thanks.

We have a water butt and did have a problem with it going smelly last year, due to the leaves getting down the gutter. it's not in the main play area so I think the children didn't work out that they could access it freely. So the idea of chicken wire is good, or you can buy gutter guards (plastic chicken wire type things - they come in different sizes) for the full length of the gutter.

You don't need to rinse Milton off baby bottles and as you would have a very weak solution in a large water butt I think it would be more akin to swimming pool water than sterilising solution.

Thanks for that Upsy Daisy...I think our HV is little on the 'efficient side'

Thanks for that Upsy Daisy...I think our HV is little on the 'efficient side'

:o

To be honest I don't think a bit of green water to play with would do them any harm anyway. In fact you could invent an investigation - how much water do you need in a container before you can see that it is green?

Thanks for all your replies!!

Feel really excited now :oxD

Sometimes I think we worry too much!!

If I can work out how to post a picture I'll give it a try - although it might give away my identity :(:(

whether the children should be 'playing' with old rain water.

Thank you!! :(:(:(

My youngest son used lie on his stomach to drink it from puddles. He's fine!! :wacko: :o

Although I suppose a puddle could be considered 'fresh' xD

Edited by Rea

xD

To be honest I don't think a bit of green water to play with would do them any harm anyway. In fact you could invent an investigation - how much water do you need in a container before you can see that it is green?

we would just look at our fish tank!! Haha :o poor things

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)