Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supporting Baby Room As Eyp

I've posted this in here as it is an under threes discussion, just as a result of eyps training. Anyway am starting an intermitant baby placement at my local day nursery who I have previously worked for and have good links with staff. I visited the staff briefly a few weeks ago to explain why I would be volunteering and what my aims were- to support and lead them with something they felt they wanted to improve upon. The three staff present (1 had day off) identified the following areas/issues they wanted to improve. I said I would go away and have a think and research to see what I could find the most info to support them with and therefore be the most realistic

1. supporting construction development/within the planning (they feel babies tend to whack each other with bricks and jigsaws are same old same old)

2.outdoor area (which they are currently are updating)/ finding time for babies to frequently access the outdoor area due to routine constrictions

3. room layout

4. I suggested the same old Treasure Baskets :D as I have a personal interest in this and know they do not provide these

For each 'issue' I have thought of some ideas and have some info printed to show them tomorrow but thought I would also ask you lovelies for any further opinions, suggestions and ideas as there are many of you who frequently work with babies whereas I don't so may overlook or overthink some things!

I feel most confident with supporting construction or 'heuristic play' as a wider subject rather than simply narrowing down to treasure baskets- I thought this could be introduced across the curriculum & routine and via a variety of realistic ways. For construction I am looking for simple ideas- perhaps some simple refresher info for staff such as considering how adult supports construction play, using simple props such as cardboard boxes (which would enable babies to experience and explore large scale construction) to construct, and considering what 'construct' actually means- to make things, so how we can support this in all areas of l&d.... what does everyone think????

what does everyone think????

I think you've pretty much got it covered, by the sounds of things!

Are you doing this for general experience or for a written task? If you have to narrow it down to one of the suggestions, there's a balance to be struck between sticking with what you know and choosing something that challenges you and enables you to develop your own practice.

Its great that you've asked for their thoughts and feelings - you're much more likely to achieve a lasting change if practitioners have an emotional buy in to the project.

The only experience I have with babies is from my EYP placement, but I've seen some really good written tasks about how candidates have changed the approach to outdoor play for babies, especially given the high emphasis placed on this in the EYFS.

I'll read everyone else's responses with interest!

Maz

I find larger sticklebricks pieces are quite nice for babies as the tend to stick when pushed together at an angle so it's easier for them.

Taking babies out to experience the rain is a lovely activity as they're often very protected from the elements so the feeling of raindrops on bare hands and feet is new and exciting.

I'm trying to think of ways you could bring the heuristic play and construction to the outside area too. I'll come back with any I think of.

thanks for all your replies, and thanks for thinking I seemingly have it covered, I don't feel like it very much! :o I'm currently sat in my room after day of uni with one pile of books/magazine articles for dissertation, another for two modules currently studying, another for eyp (standards/tasks) and another for baby placement...all I can think right now is help!

I am attending placement for experience but will hopefully get my two written tasks covered with this age range as I work in a preschool that takes from 2.6 years...for one of my tasks I have collected a million and one boxes and hope to clear the room and simply offer all these cardboard boxes for the babies to explore as they wish- does that sound an ok idea? or do the tasks need to be longer-term??

Having been there two days last week (in my half term may I add, talk about commitment! lol) I have noticed there are very few opportunities for freely accessible creative play which got me thinking but I feel like this would simply be opening a can of worms and as it is not my room or nursery I cannot try to work my magic on everything I would like to 'improve' (not meaning to sound too critical of the staff of course as they do a wonderful job there) plus it was not something they specifically identified as wanting to improve.

With the outdoor area they have so many ideas of what they want to do with it but because the pre-school is still waiting for their outdoor canopy the baby room staff don't want to ask for money for their outdoor area. However I do think they could do some very simple things to develop the area alone- having access to the sandpit and water play would be one thing (they have waterproof suits to try and keep babies dry/clean)...they could make their own mobiles/windsocks/chimes etc with the babies so wouldn't need to spend much money in buying ready made ones...what does everyone else have in their outdoor area for babies?

The rain idea sounds lovely, as does the sticklebricks and they have actually got quite a fair bit of construction materials they could make use of so will sort them out lol!

hrm think I'm waffling now!

what does everyone else have in their outdoor area for babies?

In my garden babies enjoy;

Buckets of pebbles all shapes and sizes but big enough to be safe

Tuff spot with sand and bare hands and feet

Rolling large balls around

Sitting in dens made from sticks and sheets

Exploring piles of leaves

Digging in soil (closely watched to prevent them from eating it)

Pushing wheeled toys and turning them over to examine the wheels

Being allowed to throw things

Crawling through tunnels - either manufactured or home made

Banging things with sticks

Getting really messy with home made finger paints (edible but not pleasant tasting)

Gloop

The ball pool

Just being free to explore without being told not to touch

Crawling over logs

I could probably keep going and some of them are probably too obvious but I hope this gives you a couple of ideas.

:o

In my garden babies enjoy;

Buckets of pebbles all shapes and sizes but big enough to be safe

Tuff spot with sand and bare hands and feet

Rolling large balls around

Sitting in dens made from sticks and sheets

Exploring piles of leaves

Digging in soil (closely watched to prevent them from eating it)

Pushing wheeled toys and turning them over to examine the wheels

Being allowed to throw things

Crawling through tunnels - either manufactured or home made

Banging things with sticks

Getting really messy with home made finger paints (edible but not pleasant tasting)

Gloop

The ball pool

Just being free to explore without being told not to touch

Crawling over logs

I could probably keep going and some of them are probably too obvious but I hope this gives you a couple of ideas.

Sounds like your babies have lots of fun! How do you make home made finger paints please ?

Right, finger paints;

I thought I had an original version which gave more precise measures but I can't find it sorry.

I usually use one part salt to two parts plain flour, food colouring and enough water to make a paste. Just mix them together and use. The texture isn't as perfect as shop bought paints but I don't mind this going in mouths by accident so much.

One word of warning the colour soon fades to a muddy brownish hue so don't use the finished items for displays.

It is hard when they put everything in their mouths.

I try to offer lots of things like jelly and ketchup on the highchair tray for messy play then I don't have to worry about what goes in.

A little bit of water with food colouring on the tray is good at this age too. It's enough to explore and splash a bit for a minute or too and is much less work than a water tray with soaking wet child and a swamped floor so it is easy to do often.

Thanks for the ideas Upsy Daisy, I will write them down for when I next visit and see how they go down. I like the water and food colouring idea- the less mess factor will probably greatly appeal to staff!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a placement in a baby room and was a bit startled( to say the least!) that there are two members of staff ( two toddlers and one baby while i was there) to discover that they leave just one person in the room while the other staff have their break/dinner etc (half an hour, to an hour)..............i asked what happens if one child needs changing, one needs feeding and another needs a cuddle, all at the same time and was told that two of them just have to wait.IS it permitted to leave one person alone?? Also,some other H/S things that I noted that realy worry me: fire exit blocked off with equipment, fire extinguishers covered with equipment ( in the baby room and in the staff room,so it seems to be a 'normal' occurrence).

Hi Narnia,

The scenario you describe is what happens in a childminding setting on a daily basis so I really don't see it as a problem.

However, blocked fire exits and covered fire extinguishers are a big no no. I would feel compelled to speak to the manager about that straight away.

although it is the norm in a childminder setting, surely it is not acceptable in a nursery? I thought we had to have at least 2 members of staff on duty however few children there are - when we have a late collection like we did today when a child was 25 minutes late being collected and this took us 10 minutes past our closure (and staff finish) times, I had to ask another member of staff to wait behind with me as I thought it wasn't allowed for me to wait with the child on my own. obviously toilet breaks, changing a nappy etc are fine but not half an hour to an hour break surely!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)