Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Oftern Do You Observe Each Child?

Guest colechin

Guest colechin

Please could you advise me.

When a new child starts at the setting we arrange for a tracking document to be raised. This is usually after they have been in the setting for 2/3 weeks. A member of staff will observe the child for the whole session, writing down areas visited, what was said, done, if other children present and so on, with a summary at the end, which we sit down with the parents and show during their child's first half term parent meeting.

Firstly I would like to ask should a tracker to see if they are visiting all areas of the setting be done for the whole session or just for part? Also what other detailed observation should be done and for how long. I had been told that each child should have a detailed observation once a term.

We do lots of observation on post its, that go in to the child's profile book and help with planning, but I think I am missing out on this area.

Please could you tell me what you all do. Thank you

There's another similar thread going at the moment.

We do the mini catch obs on post-its which go up on the board in the wall, we do these for each other too so we have our own colour post its so you can see at a glance when you look at the board if there's any blue (my colour) post its there that other staff have written for me.

We do timed obs when children are new, just to see where they are going and how log they stay there, whether they are verbal or interacting non-verbally with others, or just on their own. We don't tend to do these, unless there's a specific reason, once the child is established in the group.

We do a minimum of 6 long obs over the course of the year, which should equate to a minimum of one per half term, and I like staff to consider each of the six areas of learning and focus on a different area for each one. This ensures that there's not loads of PD and no CLL, if you know what I mean!

I have a chart on the wall for staff to not the dates of their long obs, which helps us to see 'where we are'. I've uploaded it onto the other thread, and can do a link if you'd like me to

Please could you advise me.

When a new child starts at the setting we arrange for a tracking document to be raised. This is usually after they have been in the setting for 2/3 weeks. A member of staff will observe the child for the whole session, writing down areas visited, what was said, done, if other children present and so on, with a summary at the end, which we sit down with the parents and show during their child's first half term parent meeting.

Firstly I would like to ask should a tracker to see if they are visiting all areas of the setting be done for the whole session or just for part? Also what other detailed observation should be done and for how long. I had been told that each child should have a detailed observation once a term.

We do lots of observation on post its, that go in to the child's profile book and help with planning, but I think I am missing out on this area.

Please could you tell me what you all do. Thank you

Although this doesn't totally answer your question, i thought you may be interested in what we have been told by our county.

We've recently had training from county on planning and next steps. They have said we should be doing 6 observations over a period of six weeks (not half termly), ideally these should cover each area. One of these over the six weeks should be a long observation of approximately 10 minutes. All obs, the long one and our post it's should all contain next steps, whether this is developing something further or by moving sideways so to speak so as to reinforce something. These next steps shoud then be shown clearly on planning.

Although this doesn't totally answer your question, i thought you may be interested in what we have been told by our county.

We've recently had training from county on planning and next steps. They have said we should be doing 6 observations over a period of six weeks (not half termly), ideally these should cover each area. One of these over the six weeks should be a long observation of approximately 10 minutes. All obs, the long one and our post it's should all contain next steps, whether this is developing something further or by moving sideways so to speak so as to reinforce something. These next steps shoud then be shown clearly on planning.

So you are doing a long obs every week on every child? goodness!

Ours equates to a long obs roughly every week, for a key person, but for different children in their group.

Ours also show the possible next steps or 'sideways' comments for planning, and also the outcome of the next steps

tracking/sociograms are done for new intake or children we have concerns about, we try and a achieve 1 long ob (though 10 mins doesnt seem that long for long ob) once a term for each child, taking from that areas learnt for each elg, and any plod's, also staff take notes during adult directed activities (grab the 'sticky label' sheets) for children they have in group which can go straight in records then LLN's are written and used to inform planning, and more general things said/did are put on their sheet as and when......

Observation_and_Assessment_Sheet.doc

Guest colechin

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have read your comments with interest.

Please could you confirm that I have understood - None of you do a whole session observation for a child but, a 10minute (long obs) for each child every half term and to make sure that each of the six areas are covered. Do you build this in to your planning 'Focused Obs' and is it the keyworker that would do this Focused obs or any other member of staff?

I will understand and get this right eventually!!!!

Here's the pages we have, if it's any help.

It's generally the key person who does the focussed observation as they know what they are looking for specifically for their children, or any schema their child may be working through.

I let my staff decide what and who they are observing, but as I read their observations I can ensure they have get as much out of it as they can, and sometimes suggest next steps or whatever.

Learning_Story.pdf

Here's the pages we have, if it's any help.

It's generally the key person who does the focussed observation as they know what they are looking for specifically for their children, or any schema their child may be working through.

I let my staff decide what and who they are observing, but as I read their observations I can ensure they have get as much out of it as they can, and sometimes suggest next steps or whatever.

This is my first time on here so this might not work!! Am very interested in the discussion have looked at the Learning Story Focussed observation I know I am probably being really stupid but what is "laevers" mean

Apologies for the English it should say "does"

It is reference to the Leuven scales...........all about children's levels of Well-Being and Involvement........we use them too....we were lucky enough to be given fantastic training in our area!

Google - you will find loads of info.

Ah Cait got in first - she's quick of the mark that girl!!!

Edited by sunnyday

thanks for that info........have to say ive never heard of the scale before.....and certainly not been offered any training on it.

crotty i find the easiest way to use the obs form i put up is too have a diff highlighter for each area, so if PD was green i just highlight any words relevant to PD in green too,it is amazing what u can drag out of a 10/15 min obs

thanks for that info........have to say ive never heard of the scale before.....and certainly not been offered any training on it.

Bet you will be sometime soon......it's 'all the rage'!!! :o

No seriously - do go if you get the chance - it's fascinating stuff - I loved the training!

Guest colechin

Thank you everyone for your comments. I will raise this at my planning meeting later this week. It would be nice to put it in to place next week.

I love this site.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)