Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parental Access To Children's Records Online

sunnyday

I was more interested in the bit on the website that said "This information can then be saved to compact disk for parents and could be ideal in helping you meet the 2012 requirements for parental access to children’s records on-line"

How did this one pass me by? Does anyone know where I can find the source of this information?

Maz

If it's any consolation that is news to me too! :o Oh my goodness whatever next........can't be true - can it? xD

If it's any consolation that is news to me too! :o Oh my goodness whatever next........can't be true - can it? xD

Well this has bothered me a bit (and since I am not at work tomorrow and have no Sunday night pressures - bliss!) I did a bit of digging.

Page 25 of the document "Children's Plan - one year on" which you can see here - says:-

"From the autumn of 2009, we will run a pilot to assess the impact of an online, parent-centred service that combines information and records related to a child’s wellbeing, learning and development in one place."

I can't really find out much more than this - it is typically vague and doesn't specify whether it is intended for all children, or only certain age groups or only those attending certain types of setting.

Will be keeping an eye out for this with interest!

Maz

Just to clarify for those who might be a bit confused, on another thread about Focus Fingertips software, I gave a link to the website here. Rather than take the initial thread off topic and prevent the original poster getting some feedback on the product itself, I thought I would re-post my query in its own thread.

Trouble was, I didn't do it properly and this explanatory post appears after the earlier ones.

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz
to explain this moderator's stupidity!

Thanks for that Maz!

I have had a 'read' and have resolved not to worry about it!!! :o

This may or may not be sensible - just call it 'self-defense'........I sometimes feel that I am running just to stand still.....is it just me? xD

Edited by sunnyday

No, it's not just you. I'm starting to think there are people 'out there' whose sole job is to make things difficult for us - and to give themselves a 'jobsworth' at the end of the day.

Well it's good to know 'it's not just me'!

I recently had a conversation with my sister - I explained that I was working hard on updating my operational plan........I said something along the lines of "It's heartbreaking to have to remove all of my hard work that is no longer valid"........she was flabbergasted by this....just couldn't understand that we as Early Years managers have to constantly change our 'ways of working'........she said "people have no idea that this is going on".........how right she is!!!

Just to clarify for those who might be a bit confused, on another thread about Focus Fingertips software, I gave a link to the website here. Rather than take the initial thread off topic and prevent the original poster getting some feedback on the product itself, I thought I would re-post my query in its own thread.

Trouble was, I didn't do it properly and this explanatory post appears after the earlier ones.

Maz

Only had a quick look at the site.

Hmmmm, how does this method fit in with 'safeguarding' policy re mobile phones with camera's???

Peggy

Do they.......where would that be found.......on the school website?

No it is separate from school websites and password protected for each child so that others can't read private information. We are still in the process but I know other schools are further down the process. Some schools have told staff they must log on every morning ...

No it is separate from school websites and password protected for each child so that others can't read private information. We are still in the process but I know other schools are further down the process. Some schools have told staff they must log on every morning ...

Thanks Marion - how interesting............and who exactly is going to put more hours into the day for these poor teachers? :oxD

This has not been adopted (yet) by our local Primary.........well - I will know all about it now if/when this happens........

Edited by sunnyday

Hmmmm, how does this method fit in with 'safeguarding' policy re mobile phones with camera's???

Well the software can be run on a mobile phone, but also on a PDA which would avoid the potential problems caused by taking photos on the mobile. However, if there is a suitably robust policy for using the mobile phone to take pictures then I don't see why there would be a problem. There is little difference between uploading a photograph from a digital camera to a computer and sending it off somewhere, and taking one on a mobile. If the guidelines for its use are clear enough and rigidly adhered to, then settings should be able to allay parents' worries about how and where photos are taken of their children, and what is subsequently done with them.

Maz

Well the software can be run on a mobile phone, but also on a PDA which would avoid the potential problems caused by taking photos on the mobile. However, if there is a suitably robust policy for using the mobile phone to take pictures then I don't see why there would be a problem. There is little difference between uploading a photograph from a digital camera to a computer and sending it off somewhere, and taking one on a mobile. If the guidelines for its use are clear enough and rigidly adhered to, then settings should be able to allay parents' worries about how and where photos are taken of their children, and what is subsequently done with them.

Maz

Yes, I think too as long as policy ensures mobiles stay within the setting. :o

Peggy

Going back to the original query here, where the quote from the software company stated:

"This information can then be saved to compact disk for parents and could be ideal in helping you meet the 2012 requirements for parental access to children’s records on-line"

I contacted Fingertips and asked where this information came from and they replied:

"The situation that this enquiry is about relates to the use of Learning Platforms in schools. BY 2010 all secondary school children's

parents will have a legal right to access ongoing records of their

children on line at home. This regulation comes into being in primary schools in 2012. They could make use of Fingertips to help them meet this

requirement. Secondly, they could down load the learning diary section

of the software if they wanted to give/ sell to parents on CD ROMs or memory sticks"

Thanks for raising this Maz and Sunnyday :o

So a little editing of the text in their website might be in order to prevent them scaring other early years practitioners who think they've missed something vital!

Thanks Helen!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)