Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You Absorb The Infomation You Have Just Read?

katehart

I am really getting into the habit of reading something every night to prepare meself for the foundation course, which I am starting next year.

Just was wondering how everyone manages to take in the information when reading and how do you record information? How to pick out the important parts?

Any tips I would really appriciate your advice.

Edited by katehart

This might sound silly but 'reading for pleasure' helped me rather than 'reading to remember facts' - I found I actually recalled things much better that way. I used to highlight things that 'grabbed me' for whatever reasonm maybe I just 'liked' something, maybe I found something quite profound - that kind of thing

I also think that when you actually start your foundation degree rather than reading to prepare yourself ( which is great don't get me wrong!!) you will adjust your 'reading style' without realising it.

When it comes to writing assignments you will be reading around a particular issue which is a little more focused and with the knowledge of what the assignment requires you will have more of an idea of what you are 'looking for' if that makes sense.

sorry if this is vague!

I read with a pad and pen next to me and jot down those things that 'get to me' like Geraldine.

I always put a page no. next to my notes though, I learnt the hard way about not doing so!

You could write the note on a postit and stick the postit in the page too, gives a bit more 'meat' to your jottings.

I realised early on that I was not going to remember all that I read. I decided to make my own notes where I collected information from different books about the same subject. E.g. I have word documents with lots of bits of cut and pasted info and my own interpretations of what I have read about Piaget and Vygotsky. They wouldn't make much sense to read through but I have found popping back to look at them helps me when I need to find a theory to back something up.

As for taking things in. Well I sometimes have to read things four or five times and that only works when I am not tired or distracted. Reading out loud seems to help too. I find little and often is the best way to retain it. I have books which I pick up, read a paragraph and put down again with post-its standing by just in case.

I also take books with me to read when I am waiting for hospital appointments - it's one of the few times when you can guarantee not to be interrupted for a reasonable period. If you have quite a few of them it can be really effective.

If the books are ones you've bought, I find the very best approach is to write in the books themselves.

This takes a bit of nerve if you have been brought up to feel that books are to be kept pristine, but if you look on them instead as working documents, and highlight important words, underline bits, make notes in the margin, this will really help you retain info.

If the books are ones you've bought, I find the very best approach is to write in the books themselves.

This takes a bit of nerve if you have been brought up to feel that books are to be kept pristine, but if you look on them instead as working documents, and highlight important words, underline bits, make notes in the margin, this will really help you retain info.

I've done this too - but it means you can't sell them on really - what you find pertinent, someone else may not

My friend was always excited when she bought second hand text books to see what other people had written in the margins, she said it was interesting to see what other people thought.

I suppose its a case of 'one man's meat.....' :o

Thank you for your useful info. I am now using an note pad and writing down anything that stands out. I am also going to get myself some post it, as well.

SuzieC8 I would just like to say I don't think I would have the nerve to write in the books, but I will use the small post=it's to underline any important bits and stick them to the actual page. however thank you for suggestion.

If you're studying with a uni you will have access to e-books.Journals are also very useful and not so daunting to read - again electronic but uni should have some for you to read.

But if you're not registered yet you won't be able to access them, just bear them in mind when you do register.

Amazon sometimes offer the 'read inside option' and google scholar can throw up some interesting articles and links.

Sam

Edited by sam2368

It's also helpful to get e-books if you can, you can search the text electronically for salient points that way and copy and paste them into word for later use

But just as a word of caution: remember to paraphrase or quote them properly in any assignment to reduce the risk of plagiarism. So it is a good idea to include the reference too so that you know where it came from, just as has been suggested for quotes from books.

All this talk is really making me miss my study - I love that stage of writing an assignment when I'm searching online journals, or reading text books to find information that agrees or challenges my view of the topic.

I have been known to use different highlighter pens in books for different reasons, and a new course of study is always a good excuse to stock up on post-its, highlighter tabs etc in many different colours and sizes. I was thinking about buying an e-reader so that I can download and annotate pdfs prior to my next course, but it would be a bit sad to do away with the post-its altogether.

I think making notes of quotes, ideas, bits of theory etc is excellent because when it comes to writing an assignment I have often half-remembered something and then not remembered where it came from. So your notebook full of page numbers, book titles (including which edition it is) is an excellent way of being able to recall information. It depends on your learning style, but sometimes the act of writing it down is enough to make you remember it.

I wish I'd had the forethought to do some preparatory reading before my Foundation Degree - perhaps I should do the same before embarking on a Masters?

Maz

PS I'm building up a small collection of old books and love to read people's comments in the margins etc, especially when I come across old newspaper cuttings that were used as book marks etc!

All this talk is really making me miss my study - I love that stage of writing an assignment when I'm searching online journals, or reading text books to find information that agrees or challenges my view of the topic.

Maz

I'm sitting at my pc with a very stiff neck (having been here all day) trying to research the changes in parental involvement in english eys settings' for my dissertation...feel free to remind yourself of the feeling of euphoria when you find something worth using!!! And pass it on...Am struggling to drum up the enthusiasm to find 10,000 words. My problem is that I find something to get my teeth into then go off on a tangent, or get on my soapbox. Not particularly academic.

Sam

Thank you everyone for you wonderful comments.

HappyMaz, the reason I am wanting to start early (I already had a letter confirming a place starting 2010), is because I don't find writing very easy and I know without a little headstart i may fall behind. I love my job and it's the best job I have ever had, which is why I am keen to follow my dreams. I run lots of groups at a surestart children and they are all well attended. I get a buzz from it. I am much better with the practical stuff.

My dream is to complete this course and hoping to prove to myself I can do it and I am like you I love learning new things. I would say go for the Masters, expecially if you are missing studying so much.

Going back to reading, I needed a little help to get me started and very greatful for the support so far.

Once again thankyou verymuccccchhhhhh

Edited by katehart

Slightly going off at a tangent ...

I also do the sticky label thing but do this to pick out interesting and useful references.

I then have a reference file in which I write up these references complete with author, book, page number etc.

The reference file is divided into useful section eg. Partnership with parents, social development... Etc

I keep thinking I should use the pc for this but I am afraid I am probably stuck in the dark ages!

I find this system helps me remember the interesting bits I find - as well as bailing me out when I am looking for a specific reference !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)