Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can't Get Motivated And Thinking Of Giving Up :(

mrsbat

Sorry to sound so depressing but I don't know if I can cope with this course.

I'm totally only doing the foundation degree because I am a supervisor and ofsted are making it compulsory to have an eyp in each setting.

I only started in September so really I shouldn't be getting negative about it but I feel it all goes over my head, I've not been in education for *cough* 15 years *cough* lol

My homework for this week is to find articles or show "how Chris Athey's theory links to practice".

I just don't know where to start, I've searched the forum and found lots of info on her actual theory but nothing on how it links to practice - maybe I'm just being dim?

Anyway I would really appreciate any help,tips,links etc that anyone has if you have time to help please?

I really want to complete the course but I don't want to screw up my family and work life in the process xD

Thanks in advance :o

Hey there

Sorry you are feeling so down. HAng on in there.

I looked up Chris Athey and she relates to schemas and there is LOTs of stuff on here, including an article on the ront pagae.

Sooooooo as far as relating her to practice, look at ptterns of chldren's learning and how sself initiated learning develops these schemas in some children.

Ifthis is a load of twaddle I apologose, but someone will come along and put me right :o

Thanks girls :). Upsy Daisy I found that article too and it's fab thanks :(

Maybe i'm just not reading it right though because I can't get my head round what it means when it says "show links to practice" I know about the schemas etc but how do I link it to practice when schemas is the actual theory? xD:(

I doubt i'm making any sense lol so maybe I should rebury my head in the sand :o:(

You are probably doing what I always do and making it too complicated.

I would say that when you allow for child initiated play, free choice of resources or base planning on a child's interests you are supporting their schematic interests and therefore their learning.

You don't actually have to know what schema they are developing at any one time in order to support it if you have a wide choice of non-prescriptive resources and child led activities efor them to select from independently.

You could also say that basing your planning on obs of their interests is supporting their schematic learning.

That is just my take on it but I am no expert! Anyone else want to put in their two penn'orth?

mrsbat - if i did it - you can honest - just take a deep breath and as i used to say just 'plod on' through it and it will be done. it is hard work but once you get into it very rewarding and you wont regret it honest :oxD

My friend is having huge confidence problems at the moment (totally different issues though) so I thought I'd pop in and send a hug.

Cant help with any of the FD work mrsbat, but you wouldnt have been accepted onto the course if they didnt think you had the skills and ability to finish it, would you? Take it easy, its still very early days when you've been out of a learning environment for so long, everything will click into place. :oxD

Hi there,

I shouldn't get too stressed about the phrase 'links to practice'. I suspect what they want to see at this stage is that you are recognising similarities to the theory in the children you work with and reacting appropriately.

As Upsy Daisy said, an acknowledgement of interests is probably fine, it may be early days to identify a schema. You are showing however, that you are aware of Athey's work and reflecting on how it may affect your practice as you learn more about the children.

Any help?

Sue

Hi there Mrs Bat,

I just wanted to say a big well done! you managed to get the funding in place, take a big step and get a place to do your degree - that is pretty big in itself.

I found there were moments when I couldn't remember why I decided to do it, but these were outweighed by the amount of time I spent feeling good about it.

Don't be put off, you've already achieved alot, take a deep breath and plod on - after all maybe this essay won't be your favourite, but who knows, the next one might really grab your fancy!

very best of luck,

Spiral :o

As one who has also been exactly where you are (and on more than one occasion) I'd say hang on in there, for all the reasons outlined in these posts. What sort of support are you getting from your college? Often a chat with your personal tutor will help you to recognise your strengths and remind yourself why you started this journey and what you want to achieve.

You can do it, you know your stuff and have so much to offer. Keep plodding on as hali says and you'll be at the end before you know where you are!

Maz

Just a very quick hug from me to - you can do it.

As a supervisor too - I know it's not easy and yes we are awful at putting ourselves first. But it will be worth it. It does get easier and the work load will just blend into your other supervisor piles.

Hugs and kisses

X X X

I second what everyone else has said! I wanted to give up half way through the first year, the pressure of the work was too much, I was fed up of never spending any quality time with my family, work pressures were getting to me... A very good friend talked me out of it one evening and were it not for that chat we had, I would have undoubtedly given up.

Then I wanted to give up through the second year. I found out I was pregnant at the start of it and couldn't seem to get my head around anything. The support I had from the college and my colleagues was fantastic. I graduated six weeks after I had my son. I was unwell for most of the last module too, so didn't do as well as I know I could have done, but as others have said, just kept going. Graduation day was THE BEST day of my life (apart from the obvious; having children days lol) as it was all about me and my achievements. I felt as though I had achieved the unachievable.

I am now pregnant again, after taking a year out of academic type study (I did do GCSE maths in the meantime though) and I am doing my third year! My head is all over the place and most nights I am too tired to sit and do any work. Seven o'clock bedtime hasn't been unusual lately, but I know that I will get through it because I know who to turn to for help and support. I tend to overcomplicate things too, which stresses me out no end, but I can do it and I will do it.

You can and will too!

Have you got a group of people who you get on really well with at college? This helped immensely, when I couldn't get to grips with something. Emailing and ringing my mates helped me make sense of the workload, we shared the same worries and stresses but we were all in it together so nobody felt too alone with it all.

I started mine in September, i have found that many of us now seam to be flagging a bit, its like the honeymoon period is over and we now have to seriously work at it. We all have doubts and ask why on earth did i sign up for this. Do you have any one on the course you can talk to? may be get in early and have a good old moan to each other over a coffee. We can all do this, have faith in your self, friends and your tutor!

i found a study buddy on each course I did.Someone to moan to, weep with and discuss with, it is always a great relief to find others feel just like you. They do you know, you are not alone, so hang in there...you can do it and you have all of us here..

:o

Thank you everyone so much, i've read the replies a few times now and each time I've got a tad emotional xD:(:o It's good to know i'm not the only one thinking like this - if you see what I mean lol.

I don't know anyone at all on the course, everyone else has got frieds/colleagues with them which is a bit awkward. I have made a few friends though but as yet don't really know them that well but fingers crossed i'll get there :)

Thanks again so much everyone smiley-hug002.gif

Hiya - its early days yet and things will be different for you but don't think you cannot do it - what do we tell all our children - so just sit tight and tell yourself that you can do it and you actually want to do it. I think everyone has self doubt but tell yourself its just a stage and you will get over it - you will also hit the wall a number of other times too. Studying can be hard but you wanted to do it so think about all the positives - you will find plenty of support here and sometimes its hard to see the wood for the trees - don't overthink things - try and look at them logically.

Look around at your setting's resources - you will no doubt have building blocks/bricks of some sort, you will have cars, scooters with wheels, you will print with wheeled cars, you will have little hidey holes that children can get into, you will put out boxes that children can climb into or they can hide under, perhaps pieces of material they like wrapping themselves up in, they will post things though any hole that they can get hold off - think of how they use the art materials - do they draw in circles or straight/grid lines - children love lining up things in a long line - all these things follow some sort of schema.

I have found Chris Athey quite difficult to read although I would really love to get to grips with it - but there is a really good book about a child called Harry and its about his schemas from a very young age - I cannot remember who wrote it but it was one of the Penn Green lot. It really is good.

Hope this helps - I think its Dorset who do a lovely chart on what materials you can provide materials to support schemas.

Google Schemas and I think they come up - good luck and keep going

Nikki

Hi Mrsbat

I know how you feel !

Every week I question if I can cope with this course. I don't even understand my first assignment in child development and Its got to be handed in in a week and I haven't started it yet ! So your definitely NOT alone !

I've been researching Schemas for a report i've got to write for my first assignment in study skills for my Early Years Foundation degree. I've found 'How children learn' by Linda Pound helpful it has a section about Chris Athey and in a style thats easy to follow, another book is called 'Again! Again!' by Stella Louis et al, its very comprehensive and explains how to support children's learning.

In practice having knowledge of schemas and by observation we can analyse children's play which in turn can be incorporated in our planning. It gives us a greater understanding of children's play and why they do certain things e.g. repetition of lining up cars.

Well thats my view on it !

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on here than me that will come along and help you

Motherclangerx

Our first module involved working in a group which did me a very big favour. I felt very out on a limb not knowing anyone else and being the only childminder. The group I worked with have become very good friends and study buddies. As time goes on you'll get to know each other better and you will find that everyone feels like you. Hopefully then you'll be able to support each other.

It is hard to go back to study after a long time but it is worth sticking at it. Make sure you take advantage of all the support available to you from the tutors too. I'm sure you're not the only one feeling this way.

Don't forget that you are there to learn these study skills too. If you could just do it really easily you would not be on the course. Your tutors are not expecting you to walk in with an A grade standard piece of work. They need to see where you are all at so they know where to pitch their teaching. You'll probably find you've done better than you expected and that you have ideas other have not thought of.

There's a wealth of knowledge and experience at your fingertips here so keep coming and asking for tips.

Let us know how you're getting on won't you?

there is a little boy with a very strong eveloping and containing schema, one day he came to pre school without any pockets on his trousers and became quite distressed that he couldnt fill his pockets up, we spoke to mum and suggested that while his schema is so strong could she ensure his trousers had pockets, which she now does. How his schema links to our practice is to ensure that he is able to access resources which enable him to envolope and contain, so in the home corner we have lots of soft fleece blankets, when he's in the book corner he is always under a blanket with a book, so we have now added torches, which he and all the children love using, in roleplay we have a selection of empty boxes, some huge some small, shoe boxes etc, with sorting activities we have added small bowls and pots so he can sort into different containers and our cooking activities last term were making sandwiches, filling pitta breads with different ingredients, making pies etc, we have also added a small wagon within the provision as he has now added the transporting schema, however his enveloping and containing is his dominant schema at the moment, also in mark making we have added oil pastel crayons, as every picture he did he then covered in black crayon, with the oil pastels he is able to scratch it off and see his picture underneath.

Hope this helps

Claire x

Dear Mrsbat,

I am now on week 5 of my degree, there is 42 people in our class, we sit in rows of chairs with fold over mini lap desks. I do not know any one and as you have said many people are from the same setting etc. I tend to sit at the back, out of the way.

Due to the lay out of the room I can not see any ones face or reaction so i find it hard to tell if it is just me lost or every one!

I'm not very confident in myself but decided that I would not jump in and plonk myself next to the same person each week. My reason being that I need to weigh up whom i would like to be stuck with for the next three years. Now,at the risk of people thinking that I'm being rude or self centered i am carefully selecting who i am sitting with as i do not want to feel out of my depth (some of the class are way above my league!) however I do not want to be with some one whom needs constant support as i am concerned about my work load yet alone someone elses. I am taking my time to find some one on the same wave length as me.

Last week I joined a study group, there is about 10 of us and after chatting i think we will all get on well.

Take your time and find some one who is good for you as you will be with them for a long time!

Now,at the risk of people thinking that I'm being rude or self centered i am carefully selecting who i am sitting with as i do not want to feel out of my depth (some of the class are way above my league!) however I do not want to be with some one whom needs constant support as i am concerned about my work load yet alone someone elses.

When we started our degree last year there were some members of the group who seemed to know all the answers, came up with quotes from theorists and altogether made me feel like I knew absolutely nothing and was way out of my league. By the middle of the second term all of these students had left the course, unable to cope with completing the assignments.

I then found out at the end of last term that one group of friends had decided that the group I'm friends with were really clever and know lots because we speak up and offer ideas in tutorials - I was blown away by that as we all feel we are scraping through by the skin of our teeth.

The support I find most valuable is often from friends who are not those getting the high grades and the right answers. It is the emotional support, the listening ear and the empathy borne from shared experiences. I could never have predicted in the first few weeks what staunch allies I would have never mind who those people would be.

Relax, take your time, get to know as many other students as possible and remember they are probably feeling just the same as you.

Most importantly of all enjoy the course - it will be fun as well as hard work and very worthwhile in the end.

Hi MrsBat :o . i just wanted to say hang on in there! Reading yyour posts brought back all the emotions I had when I started a my journey into teaching. It took me ages as I was studying part time and working with 2 children, husband and a house to sort out too. I felt totally overwhelmed at times and wanted to chuck it all in but the feeling I got when I achieved it all was absolutely out of this world! Everyone on this forum ahs helped me get through some pretty horrid times with support and ideas so keep looking here as there is always someone ready to listen and support you.

As for schemas and practice, I agree with what has been said here and a s you look for this in your setting you will realise you probably see it and note it all the time it's just now been brought to your attention. keep going, you can do it!

P.S I also had a long break between studying and everyone was about half my age too!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)