Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Term Time Only Pay

I may be reading this wrong but even if you just work term time you get 4 weeks holiday pay. I used to get the holiday pay as a lump sum but now it's included in my hourly rate.

business link - holiday pay

this may be of help..

you now have to be paid holiday pay when you take it.. it is not allowed to be rolled up and included in your general wage, so if you work term time only you should be getting paid time during the holidays for the holiday pay you are due.. after all this is when you are taking the holiday time off..

Inge

there has been lots of messages about this especially when the entitlement changed. yes everyone is entitled to the same holiday pay of 5.6 weeks but for term time workers this is pro rata. i divide their yearly pay by 12 months so everyone gets the same each month. not sure if i am suppose to do it this way there are some conflicting reports on here and other sites. staff are happy to be paid this way they are getting the same each month regardless of how long the holidays are and who will find out.

buttercup

Our staff have their 5.6 holiday pay added to the 38 weeks pay and then the total is divided by 52 weeks. This way everyone gets paid all year round. We've tried it many ways but everyone is happy with this way and there are no worries that there will be weeks in holidays where we're not paid.

We include the .6 in our holiday but we had some nosey person say that the .6 was the bank holidays and we didn't have to include those into our pay as we're not contracted to work those days if they're in a holiday e.g. christmas or august bank holiday.

I wasn't sure what to say back to that so i just ignored it????

Mmm, doesnt sound like Im doing it legally either, but its how the staff like it and it suits the business as everyone knows where they are.

We work out the annual salary, then add on the holiday pay and divide by 12 and pay the same every month (plus any overtime obviously)

Staff get paid in August as normal and everyone is happy.

Should I be changing this then? As someone else commented earlier, who is going to know?

x

Mmm, doesnt sound like Im doing it legally either, but its how the staff like it and it suits the business as everyone knows where they are.

We work out the annual salary, then add on the holiday pay and divide by 12 and pay the same every month (plus any overtime obviously)

Staff get paid in August as normal and everyone is happy.

Should I be changing this then? As someone else commented earlier, who is going to know?

x

This is something we're looking into at the moment - our staff are paid this way and we all want it to remain. The admin person is going to look into it legally to see if we can all sign an agreement that this how we would like to be paid. If she has any luck I'll let you know.

the holiday pay is really causing havoc.

Although we only work 39 weeks per year we still need to give everyone bank holidays even though staff do not work on these days eg christmas, new years day easter may bank holiday X 2 august they are off.

However government law states they still need to be paid on these days or have aditional time off in leiu.

Who gives me money to pay for all these extras

It also states we can not pay on a rolling programme

what I do - is calculate salary and holiday together and pay same amount in each month

the holiday pay is really causng havoc.

Although we only work 39 weeks per year we still need to give everyone bank holidays even though staff do not work on these days eg christmas, new years day easter may bank holiday X 2 august they are off.

However government law states they still need to be paid on these days or have aditional time off in leiu.

Who gives me money to pay for all these extras

It also states we can not pay on a rolling programme

what I do - is calculate salary and holiday together and pay same amount in each month

But those bank holidays can be included in the 5.6 weeks( or whatever holiday they are entitled to) and not in addition to the entitlement, so makes the same amount of paid holiday anyway... no more need be paid for bank holidays etc,

Inge

This is the reason the extra days were introduced for those that didn't have the bank holidays or were'nt paid for them. It's the rolled up holiday pay that concerns me the most. We all get it paid to us this way and none of us staff want ti to change, It also means more work for who ever is doing the wages. So until someone comes in and tells us to stop...... So silly as we (as in staff and committee) are all happy and dont want to change this arrangement.

Edited by lynned55

we too were paid holiday in with the wages, but it did mean we were paid during time we didnt work, essentially holiday time.

We felt it meant more like holiday pay added to weekly pay and this then paid over the 38 weeks we worked... by being paid for the 38 weeks plus holiday weeks we believed it was Ok.

sorry hard to explain, but we were essentially paid for time we were on holiday this way.. so it was not really rolled up into our pay..

after all other jobs have a monthly wage where paid time is taken off so we saw it as the same..

Inge

Hi

Ive actually done this by myself. I have worked out wages, incl holiday pay etc and divided by 12 so that I can get a wage each month. The figure I came out with was £600 per month. So, anything I earn over that in a month I put away in savings account and for those months I earn less than that I take out of savings to make up to £600!

Our setting gets the holiday pay split into half. Half paid at xmas and the other half at summer.