Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Policy

milo1

Hi, In light of the recent and awful news about the nursery nurse in Plymouth does anyone have infrmation or a sample policy they could share with regard to code of coduct, staff use of mobile phones and facebook?

Thank-you.

Hi, In light of the recent and awful news about the nursery nurse in Plymouth does anyone have infrmation or a sample policy they could share with regard to code of coduct, staff use of mobile phones and facebook?

Thank-you.

We added this issue in staff handbooks and also in safeguarding policy. Not meaning to be rude but why do staff need phones in session???

We have the policy of no personal phones/cameras are used for photos or use in work times! Also staff do not post anything reguarding work on facebook. Its written as a warning notice of termination of employment.

oooo i sound like a really mean manager :o But its to protect the children!! xD

i have my phone on me for our fire procedure, once we are out the building i can call firebrigade, always in my pocket, with light of everything may need to rethink!

My phone (setting mobile) is in our 'grab bag' along with the register and small first aid kit.....this is, as the name suggests to be 'grabbed' in case of emergency evacuation......

These issues have been discussed before milo1 - have you tried a 'forum search'?

Not meaning to be rude but why do staff need phones in session???

I've got small children at school myself and I have my phone in case of an emergency with them... I don't use it but would answer if the school rang.

Any I know how annoying it is when you try to phone parents and can't get through! :o two children taken ill yesterday and couldn't get hold of anyone to come and collect them xD good job it wasn't more serious!!

I've got small children at school myself and I have my phone in case of an emergency with them... I don't use it but would answer if the school rang.

Could your children's school not ring the setting number rather than your mobile?

Our staff are allowed to store their mobile phones in their locked lockers and check them when on their breaks away from the children, they are not allowed in the nursery.

Mine (owner manager) is kept in the nursery office. To be grabbed when evacuating the premises or when I go to meetings etc

We also have a non – camera mobile phone that is taken on walks (eg listening walks) around the immediate environment should help be need to be summoned quickly, this is stored in a cupboard in the office until it is required.

All photos of children for assessment or display purposes are taken on the nursery cameras, downloaded by myself or another manager in the nursery office and stored /deleted as required.

Staff should never take mobiles into the nursery, or use their own cameras, we have policies about this and also one on social networking which I got off FSF - thanks xD

What a sad world we live in..........................maybe I'm just getting old :o

I dont know any settings where staff mobile are allowed. In an emergency with staffs own children the setting would be rung. I have mine close by but not visible because I'm with an agency so its hard to always be contactable - is that even a word??!

The nursery in plymouth has worried me on more than the basis that this woman was doing horrendous things, I worry that she had the opportunity to take photos and be on here own long enough. I suspect that in most settings staff are not left alone for long periods, they dont have access to their phones or other cameras that go out of the setting and the safeguarding policy is understood and adhered to by everyone.

Couldn't agree more Rea - I have already said in a different thread.......this would not have happened in a well managed setting......and for the first time ever I couldn't care less who that offends........

I am wishing that mobiles with cameras had never been invented.........I was talking to a fireman friend the other day and he told me that people flock to accident scenes to film proceedings on their mobile phones - that makes me shudder - what is wrong with these people?

Oh there are some very strange people about sunnyday. Its the 5 minutes of fame thing isnt it? Everyone wants to be a celebrity so they're either film makers or film stars. Weirdos :o

We are in a village hall, no phone line connected thats why i have my phone with me, im sure others are in the same situation where we just dont have that luxury of a phone,

We are in a village hall too!! But the pre-school has a contact phone (mobile) Its a very OLD model and doesn't have a camera either. But the loudest ring tone in the world. :o so we can hear it in our large hall!!!! xD

My daughter is a teacher and she doesn't have her mobile on at work.

Yes agree what a strange and sad world we live in!!! :(

We're also in a hall with no landlne but we do have a mobile which staff can be contaced on. I cant think of many jobs that would allow you to have a mobile in your pocket, even if it's just to look and see who is ringing you. Imagine walking into a shop and the assistant is on the phone, or your childs classroom and their teachers mobile is ringng, apart from anything else I really feel it looks so unproffessional, I hate having to use a mobile for our setting, I always feel as if I should explain to parents if I have been on the phone that it wasn't a personal call but work related!! My husband has his phone on him in his office but always switches it off when in a meeting, some of which can last for hours. My daughters both work in offices and can only occasionaly be contacted on their mobiles.

I understand the wanting to be contactable but my own 4 children managed for 20 odd years between them at school without me having a mobile and yes I did leave the house sometimes when they were at school and wasn't able to be contacted.

Think I've probably had my say in this thread........but I feel really strongly about this issue!

We are also a village hall setting - we have the setting mobile - as I have already said that is put into our grab bag - I have one staff member who has young children at school - the school know to ring the setting mobile only.........would also have to say I don't have young children but I do have a family as does my deputy - so they all know that in a dire emergency they can ring the setting mobile number.......... I can see no problem with this at all.....we must get safeguarding right.......it is, in my opinion, one of the most important elements of Early Years practice.

As others have said - I would not expect to be in a shop, a bank, hairdressers, doctors - anywhere at all and see staff taking personal phone calls - we have worked hard for a very long time to 'raise our status' - we must now make sure that we are acting professionally.

We added this issue in staff handbooks and also in safeguarding policy. Not meaning to be rude but why do staff need phones in session???

We have the policy of no personal phones/cameras are used for photos or use in work times! Also staff do not post anything reguarding work on facebook. Its written as a warning notice of termination of employment.

oooo i sound like a really mean manager :o But its to protect the children!! xD

Hi,

Thank you for your response. It's ok, you are not being rude by asking the question why staff need phones in session.

In answer they dont and I agree that there should not be a need for staff to carry personal mobile phones at anytime when in the setting. Some responses I have recieved have been made to suggest that staff need to recieve calls incase their own child/family memebr is ill or has an accident then they need to be informed of this. I have always stated that the settings own phone number can be used for staff to share with their family/childrens schools/carers to contact staff if needing to be alerted to an emergency situation or similar. There should be no problem with that.

The systems you have in place clearly support the safety of children and specify in your policy what expectations are re use of phones and social networking sites. I dont think you are a mean manager, you are working in a security conscious way for the benefit of the children and to reduce risks. Staff are clearly aware of the setting policy regarding mobile phone use and social networking use so dont have any excuse if this is not adhered to. This also benefits staff and protects them from possible allegations being made against them aswell. I was just interested in looking at an example policy to compare to my own to check that I had not left anything pertinent out. From the posts I have seen and read I think I have covered all points that need to be considered. Thanks again for your input.

On the subject of photo's, it seems to me that we should be asking why we are taking photos of the children anyway, does it help their development? we use digital cameras to record everything but is it necessary. Nursery teachers need guidance on good practice on the use of digital photography e.g in what areas of the setting should they be banned? i feel that this is a subject that needs to be addressed to keep practioners protected.

mobile phone use at work? This is a totally differnt issue from child protection.

What has been reported in the news is thankfully an extreme case, and we cannot persuade ourselves into thinking that anyone using a phone with a camera is going to do anything perverted with it!!

I have my phone for an emergency - and while it has already been said - the previous generation managed quite well without mobiles! But we live, rightly or wrongly, in a world of technology, and in a world with technology so readily available, I would hate for my child, my mother or my husband.... (not necessarily in that order! :o ) to have an accident and for me not to be contactable....

In light of the recent events, staff phones are kept centrally and are ONLY there for emergencies.

Do we start asking visitors and parents to empty their pockets and confiscating phones and cameras?

Surely, common sense can still prevail...

Staff are CRB checked

Only setting equipment should be used for photographing children.

No staff spends inappropriate amounts of time alone with a child (ie. toileting) - also, the door is never shut to the toileting area.

No one would take photographs of vulnerable children while they are undressing, within the toileting area, etc.

Taking photographs are a wonderful way to share activiites with parents, record activities, and celebrate achievements - I would be extremely sad if this was no longer considered appropriate practice.

I agree with the previous posts and this is obviously an emotional subject, and it sickens me to think that this has gone on. But sadly, those people who get pleasure from such things will always find a way... but we are professionals, and should continue to act as such,

sensible people don't ask children if they want a lift....

don't ask children to help look for their puppy....

don't put themselves or children into inappropriate situations....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)