Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratio Amendment

Hi

I just wondered if anyone would be kind enough to let me have the exact wording of paragraph 6 in Appendix 2 of the EYFS statutory guidance under 'Children aged three and over in any registered early years provision. It originally read:

Between the hours of 8am and 4pm, where a person with Qualified Teacher Status, Early Years Professional Status or another suitable level 6 qualification (which is full and relevant and defined by the CWDC) is working directly with the children, the following requirements apply:

I know it changed ages ago but would be really grateful if someone has access to an up to date version and could help me out! I just need the exact wording and have hunted on line but the 2008 version still has the old wording. I think they just issued an amendment but can't find it anywhere :o

Fingers crossed and thanks in advance!!

Thanks for all your help it is much appreciated. I tried the National Stategies and downloaded an adobe version of Appendix 2 and though it is dated 2008 the wording is the same as 2007!

Thanks for the table too but alas it's not on there.

I know without a shadow of doubt they changed it - I remember a notice at the side of the website about an 'important change' but that's long gone as it was quite awhile ago.

I even searched old messages on here and it was discussed back in March so it was before then that they made the change.

Thanks again, I will keep hunting!!

Ok have dug out my version for you. Whole appendix seems to have changed in terms of numbering, but I think you are referring to the new paragraph 7, which i hopefully have attached. Note my version of the document is May 2008.

post-12960-1254501062_thumb.jpg

oooooh, attachment didn't quite work as i wanted. Let me know if you can't read it

Many thanks and i did manage to read it :o

The wording is the same!

Please can someone tell me I have not lost the plot I am 100% sure they took out the bit that says

or another suitable level 6 qualification (which is full and relevant and defined by the CWDC)

In relation to changing the ratio to 1:13 the only recognised level 6 are QTS and EYPS. I just cannot find it in print anywhere xD

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thought you might be interested in a reply I received today!

This is an email I sent to the DCSF at the beginning of October

Dear Sir

I would be most grateful for some clarification about an amendment made to EYFS Appendix 2.

Under the heading:

'Children aged three and over in any registered early years provision.

The 2007 publication stated:

Between the hours of 8am and 4pm, where a person with Qualified Teacher Status, Early Years Professional Status or another suitable level 6 qualification (which is full and relevant and defined by the CWDC) is working directly with the children, the following requirements apply:

The above wording appears unchanged in the 2008 publication. However I believe I read an amendment notice on your website some time ago which stated that the only suitable and relevant level 6 qualifications are QTS and EYPS and therefore the wording '(or another suitable level 6 qualification which is full and relevant and defined by the CWDC)' was no longer applicable.

I would be very grateful if you could inform we where this change is documented.

Thank you in advance for your help

Well... I am not quite sure what to say about the reply I received (bearing in mind I asked nothing at all about information under the heading 'Children aged three and over in maintained nursery schools and nursery classes in maintained schools' but here it is:

Thank you for your email dated 2 October about the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) guidance. I have been asked to reply.

The EYFS requires that, in provision for children aged three and over in maintained schools (except for children in reception classes) there must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children. At least one member of staff must a be a 'school teacher' as defined by section 122 of the Education Act 2002 and the Education (School Teachers' Prescribed Qualifications, etc) Order 2003. One member of staff must hold a level 3 qualification. The requirement to have a teacher is not new. Section 2 - School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document 2005 - (a statutory document) says: 60.3.3 ensuring, save in exceptional circumstances that a teacher is assigned in the school timetable to every class or group of pupils –

(a) in the first, second, third and fourth key stages, for foundation and other core subjects and religious education; and

(:o in the foundation stage.

The word 'assigned' above means assigned to teach - so in the same way that it is expected that there will be a teacher teaching in any other class in a school (except when there is PPA time) so there must be a teacher in a nursery class and not one supervising or directing that class from a distance.

I hope this information is helpful.

Yours sincerely

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Public Communications Unit

www.dcsf.gov.uk

Well no not really helpful! It also says that maintained nurseries and nursery classes in maintained schools need to have another member of staff qualified to level 3 and yet the relevant section in the EYFS says level 2 - mmm I wonder does anyone know!!!

"Well no not really helpful! It also says that maintained nurseries and nursery classes in maintained schools need to have another member of staff qualified to level 3 and yet the relevant section in the EYFS says level 2 - mmm I wonder does anyone know!!!"

Definitely teacher and level 3 in a maintained nursery class. I just can't get the Teachernet page to load for some reason, to reference it for you, as far as I can remember it was a misprint and corrected later.

6 The EYFS ratio and qualification requirements for maintained schools are compatible with the

national Agreement and the workforce remodelling agenda which have introduced changes to

enable teachers to focus more effectively on their teaching and to enhance the role of support

staff. Teacher involvement, due to their specific training and expertise, can have a significant

impact on children’s learning. Therefore, the teaching and learning in each class or group of

pupils aged three and over in maintained schools and nursery schools must be led by a teacher.

Children aged under two in any early years group setting

■■ there must be at least one member of staff for every three children;

■■ at least one member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined by

CWDC), and have suitable experience of working with children under two;

■■ at least half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification (as defined by CWDC);

■■ at least half the staff must have received specific training in the care of babies;

■■ the member of staff in charge of the babies’ room must have suitable experience of working with

children under two years.

Children aged two in any early years group setting

■■ there must be at least one member of staff for every four children;

■■ at least one member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined by CWDC);

■■ at least half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification (as defined by CWDC).

Children aged three and over in any registered early years provision

7 Between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm, where a person with Qualified Teacher Status, Early Years

Professional Status or another suitable level 6 qualification (which is full and relevant, and defined

by CWDC) is working directly with the children, the following requirements apply:

■■ there must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children;

■■ at least one other member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined

by CWDC).

7 Between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm, where a person with Qualified Teacher Status, Early Years

Professional Status or another suitable level 6 qualification (which is full and relevant, and defined

by CWDC) is working directly with the children, the following requirements apply:

■■ there must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children;

■■ at least one other member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined

by CWDC).

Thanks Marion :o I am trying to find out where/when the amendment was made. There is no other 'suitable level 6 qualification' as relevant honours degrees at level 6 are 'mapped' by CWDC as level 3! Originally it was QTS, EYP or someone with Hons degree in early years but they changed it to being only QTS or EYP and I just can't find the 'proof'

May 2008

EYFS 2007 Appendix 2

6. Children aged three or over in any registered early years provision

Between the hours of 8am and 4pm where a person with Qualified Teacher Status, Early Years Professional Status or another suitable level 6 qualification (which is full and relevant and defined by CWDC) is working directly with the children, the following requirements apply:

At that time a BA(Hons) in Early Years was deemed as being 'another suitable level 6 qualification' but the DCSF changed it so that it was just QTS or EYP. The message on the website said something along the lines of 'the only qualifications deemed as being suitable level 6 are QTS and EYP and therefore the sentance saying 'or another suitable level 6 qualification' is no longer applicable.

EYFS May 2008

The wording is exactly the same as the 2007 version.

In the great scheme of things it doesn't matter in that the CWDC have BA(Hons) at level 6 but have mapped it to level 3 qualifications for ratio purposes.

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it and sorry this is such a ramble

Now I'm going to ramble

..........isn't there a qualification that's at quite a high level just for people running Children's Centres? I can't think fot he name of it at the moment - but would that class as 'another suitable level 6' which could be why the statement has been left in.

You may mean the NPQICL which is way above Level 6 and a Masters level qualification. Someone with NPQICL is the head of a centre which could have 30 to 40 staff and children from 12 weeks to five years and s/he is the equivalent of an HT.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)