Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Headlice

Deb

Hi

Had a parent today who said that he would take his child to another setting if we didn't do something about the fact that his child keeps having repeated infestations of head lice.

Trying to find a short and to the point leaflet to hand out to all parents. Any suggestions please?

After that I'm goint to tackle world peace because I'm clearly responsible for that too!

Hi Deb, yes there is a leaflet you can order, I haven't got details at home, but if nobody else comes up with the details, I'll post them as soon as I can.

We have lots of info for parents and I send out a standard letter every October about signs and symptoms.

However, if children are getting re-infected, it is very difficult. You only have to miss a couple of the little devils when treating them and off it goes again so your child could in a sense be re-infecting themselves, some children seem far more likely than others to get them.

If whole families aren't treated or people that come into contact regularly with that child aren't treated they could be the possible cause of infection rather than anyone at your nursery. Your parent may not want to believe that but it is highly feasible.

I want to know where the little devils hide over the 6 weeks holidays - even the most sleepy parent would have noticed a child with 6 weeks worth of infestation. The headlice would have been huge and the whole head wriggling. (oooh i'm scratching at the thought)

I really must build headlice treatment of my own kids into FD study plan :o having done the full works twice already this term.

I really must build headlice treatment of my own kids into FD study plan xD having done the full works twice already this term.

Well I never thought of claiming that skill! I have to say I am rather an expert though (unfortunately).

I agree with Panders that your setting may well not be the origin. I might suggest to this parent that a quick comb through with the nit comb when they get home each day would be a good preventative measure. Hopefully then if the child has picked one up in your setting they will have removed it before any eggs are laid.

It is hard to suggest to parents that the re-infection may be coming from home but if they get into the habit of a comb through every day it soon becomes apparent where they are coming from.

I mix vodka with conditioner to get them out. I don't think it always kills them but they stop holding on to the hair so tight so they are combed/washed out more easily. I wouldn't pass this on to parents as official advice but it works for me just as well as the conventional treatments (if not better!).

Ugh! I am itching now. :o

Edited by Upsy Daisy

"I mix vodka with conditioner" xD

Do you drink the vodka to make the wet-combing less tedious!? :o

I have a Bug Zapper which we use each week "just in case"

Nona

I lost count of the times my daughter has had them over the years and even at 15 she still keeps getting them I did hear that head lice can live off the head for longer than a week and the eggs 14 days sometimes its not other children but a favourite teddy or bedding that is the culprit for harbouring the sneeky little visitors it only takes one to be missed

Ive tried adding tea tree oil to condition but never vodka I can understand why the little visitors have trouble holding on after a dose of conditioner laced with vodka I can imagine they all die happy!

good luck with world peace that should be doddle once you've cured the setting of headlice!

Thank you for all your replies and links. Panders the info on the leaflet would be great when you get a moment.

Vodka - I've heard everything now! I think I ought to try it in the interests of the setting you understand! Another selfless act!

Hi All

We recently bought a DVD about headlice from the company Pink Cow, it cost less than thirty pounds and comes with acess to a website resource. We refer parents to the website and loan them the DVD to help them understand the issue a little better.

Also this leaflet on the lyclear site has lots of good info for parents (its advised for schools/nurseries to give)

http://www.headliceadvice.net/downloads/76...ear_leaflet.pdf

Hope that helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)