Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Nightmare With Newbies!

Hi Everyone, never posted before, I guess desperate times etc!!!

Had the worst day of my career today in 15 years of teaching :o

My new intake into school nursery have screamed (x8 children) vomitted(X3 children - one EVERYWHERE) and filled their nappies (yea, at 3 years old) with vile stuff. Only one of the above mentioned speaks English.

I have cried. A lot.

Any wonderful distraction ideas?? Thanks in anticipation xxxx

Must admit, our intake is not so great this year either, however we are into week 4 and things are calming down crying wise, but behaviour issues are still rearing their ugly head but only one nappy issue!

I'm sorry to hear that it's bringing you to tears - that's not good.

The children sound as if they are very anxious if they are vomiting and screaming.

How much help are you getting from your TA/Assistants? Do you all need a meeting to discuss strategies? It doesn't help that none of the children really speak English - do the parents speak much English - could one or two stay each day and help you to communicate with the children, or at least give you some "emergency vocabulary". Are you using a lot of visual aids to communicate?

We keep the morning as simple as possible with the least amount of transitions as possible until the children are more settled and then we begin to tweek the routine and add more layers to it.

With regard to distraction techniques - one of the best cause and effect toys we have used is a marble run - we set them up, we have 3, from extremely simple to quite complicated and the children are fascinated by them. This appears to give each one a little "peace" from being so upset, play dough often keeps them calmer.

p.s. Welcome to the Forum!!! Hope you find the help you are looking for!

Edited by Panders

Poor you

welcome to the forum, I hope the replies you get help you to face the day tommorrow.

Im sure you'll work your magic and by the end of the year you will look back with pride in what you have achieved :o

Guest Greenhouse

Sweet Lord!

My heart goes out to you! I had such a horrid bunch last year I was on the verge of giving up! However I am still here with a new and better lot. You will make a difference, it just might take a bit longer this year! Sending you happy vibes and possibly a sick bucket too for good measure!!

...screaming, vomit and filled nappies, might they all be going down with something nasty? :o

I must admit I was just thinking the same thing, BMG. The problem with these kinds of difficulties is that we don't know our children very well if they are new to our setting so it is hard to gauge what is down to sheer unhappiness at separating from mum or going to a new setting and what is in fact an illness.

Welcome to the Forum, Nicky - hope things soon settle down and you begin to enjoy life with your children again!

Maz

I must admit I was just thinking the same thing, BMG. The problem with these kinds of difficulties is that we don't know our children very well if they are new to our setting so it is hard to gauge what is down to sheer unhappiness at separating from mum or going to a new setting and what is in fact an illness.

Welcome to the Forum, Nicky - hope things soon settle down and you begin to enjoy life with your children again!

Maz

weve had a nasty sickness bug going around, but i have noticed there are alot more children in nappies this year than ever before,and a few in pants that are clearly not trained, im all for inclusion but there must be limit, everyday i change dirty pants or nappies, we have no facilities, no nappy bin, gone are the days were we couldnt take them in if they werent clean :o

Couple of things..... from someone from a pre-school (2 years old up) background of 15 years...

1. Have they any previous pre-school experience?

2. Do you have a settling in policy/hints sheet for parents (can post mine if you want....)

3. Do they come for visits before joining (as well as any possible home visits - we don't do those....)

4. Do they all come every day or just a few

5. Do they all join on the same day or do you stagger them

6. Do you have a keyworker system

7. Do you let the parents stay until the children are settled? (did have one that stayed nearly a year!)

8. Is your EAL unusually high? Do you have any staff with particular skills with EAL?

Wow, that was quite a long list in the end! If I were in your shoes I would also cry, then brush myself down, and try and look at the problem objectively..... how can you address any or all of the above, immediately, in the short term or in the longer term to avoid it happening again.

In the short term, do you have any trustworthy skilled parents who might be willing to come in and give you a hand for a bit? I know there are crb issues but if they don't have any unsupervised access.... Is there anyone that can be released from elsewhere in school/FS to support you all for the 1st 1/2 hour etc....

Ooh, don't think I'm trying to tell you your job, sorry, that wasn't my intention, rather to help you turn the problem on its head so you can see it as a challenge and can tackle it in a positive light....

Well done for posting - this is the best site ever and you will get loads of hints and tips which will help improve your lot, honest xxxx

It does sound a nightmare and yes, I have been vomited on more than once, I do sympathise but it does get better - honest!!

Forgot to say, if they have been to pre-school before, can you have some preliminary visits to you before with their keyworker (and vice versa)? What is transition like?

Edited by Guest

Couple of things..... from someone from a pre-school (2 years old up) background of 15 years...

1. Have they any previous pre-school experience?

2. Do you have a settling in policy/hints sheet for parents (can post mine if you want....)

3. Do they come for visits before joining (as well as any possible home visits - we don't do those....)

4. Do they all come every day or just a few

5. Do they all join on the same day or do you stagger them

6. Do you have a keyworker system

7. Do you let the parents stay until the children are settled? (did have one that stayed nearly a year!)

8. Is your EAL unusually high? Do you have any staff with particular skills with EAL?

Wow, that was quite a long list in the end! If I were in your shoes I would also cry, then brush myself down, and try and look at the problem objectively..... how can you address any or all of the above, immediately, in the short term or in the longer term to avoid it happening again.

In the short term, do you have any trustworthy skilled parents who might be willing to come in and give you a hand for a bit? I know there are crb issues but if they don't have any unsupervised access.... Is there anyone that can be released from elsewhere in school/FS to support you all for the 1st 1/2 hour etc....

Ooh, don't think I'm trying to tell you your job, sorry, that wasn't my intention, rather to help you turn the problem on its head so you can see it as a challenge and can tackle it in a positive light....

Well done for posting - this is the best site ever and you will get loads of hints and tips which will help improve your lot, honest xxxx

It does sound a nightmare and yes, I have been vomited on more than once, I do sympathise but it does get better - honest!!

Hi and thanks!

I can say yes to pretty much all of the above, its all in place, we just got outstanding in our OFSTED so at last we feel assured we are doing the right thing, but there are so many problems!! We are in the bottom 25% of the country socio-economic scale as a catchment area, with high EAL (which I get support for 3 afternoons, not 5! That's all we are allocated in this borough). The vomitting is screaming til they are sick, not illness for definite. The nappies are because the 3 year old is still not on much solid food, mostly milk!!!

They are coming in for 1 hour only initially, longer each day if they settle.

Parent support is only from the children who don't need it, funnily enough!! We have several illiterate parents, some with drug problems and a high number with no English language.

I love my job and have had a lot of success in Nursery in the last couple of years, but this new lot have floored me.

Nicky x

Cooh, Nicky you are really up against it. I really wasn't trying to preach, just help but at the moment I'm feeling pretty useless :o I'll sleep on it tho, and try and think of something for you, honest. Well done on your outstanding, you obviously make a difference and that's what counts, not that you are in control from day 1.

Chin up!

xxx

Hi Everyone, never posted before, I guess desperate times etc!!!

Had the worst day of my career today in 15 years of teaching :o

My new intake into school nursery have screamed (x8 children) vomitted(X3 children - one EVERYWHERE) and filled their nappies (yea, at 3 years old) with vile stuff. Only one of the above mentioned speaks English.

I have cried. A lot.

Any wonderful distraction ideas?? Thanks in anticipation xxxx

Hi Nickysherran.

Poor you, what a day! Chocolate works best!!!!!!!!!!!

Scottiedog

Edited by scottiedog

We have spent £4.50 on 3 goldfish who are worth their weight in 'gold' for settling children. Marvellous - and good for staff to watch too when they are feeling a little 'tense'

I must admit, a couple of times this year I've felt like that Arnold Schwartzenegger (sp?) in Kindergarten Cop where he runs outside into the street and has a really good scream!!!

Thanks everyone, and you are very kind LJW, I didn't think you were preaching at all xx

I think we need new fish, one of our TA"s keps killing them, lol!! xx

Here's to a better day :o

Oh nickysherran, I do feel for you. I really hope you have a slightly better day than yesterday, wish I could be of more help. You are obviously good at your job, just remember that and try and keep positive, mrsW.x

Thank you one and all!! I feel a bit low despite significant breakthroughs this week!! My son has suspectee dyspraxia :o , talk about a bad week, lol!! If anyone knows much about it I would be very interested. I will post somewhere else more suitable on here xxxx

Oh Nicky poor you!! I was feeling so smug this last few weeks thinking ours had all settled but end of last week and this week has really thrown me as well. Although not as bad as you, we have had 5 new ones start since last Thurs, all have EAL, none of the parents are willing/abe to stay and today I'm afraid I almost lost it with a parent who told me to 'ignore him, he likes to do what he likes!!' This was about a child who had spent most of yesterday not just screaming but throwing himself on the floor and around the room- he was sick, threw the chairs, playdough and puzzle pieces at anyone who attempted to go near him and really did frighten the other children. I called his father back to him and said someone had to stay with him, poor child is just really frightened of us- he cant understand us, we cant understand him- just think how scary this must be for them. I dont understand why people think they can just drop these children and run. Even after I called the father back and he calmed his son down and got him engrossed in something, he was then (the father) trying to sneak out without even telling us!! I have now said the child cannot stay without one parent staying with him, it's not fair on him, the other children or quite frankly the staff who are trying to settle other children as well.