Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents,parents,parents!

Just wondering if anyone can share what they do to promote good communication with parents?

I feel we do alot already but doesnt seem to be good enough for some parents!! :o

I find each year the parents change, one year we may have great parents who want to be involved and other years they just want to drop off and go.

we have regular newsletters, drop in mornings and it gives us a chance to gauge the parents desire to be involved. some parents want an opportunity to mingle and chat with the other mums but many just want to rush off as soon as possible

put yourself in the parents shoes, what would get you to communicate more with nursery?

We have:

Termly newsletter

Chalk board outside door in mornings for notices (this works great)

Informal chats

Parent conferences terms 2 and 5

Emailed newsletter

Currently setting up our own website

Parent helpers always welcome

Table with info on for parents to read

We're also looking into the idea of the home/pre-school learning diaries. At the moment, parents fill out a sheet about the child's reading book and we want to (slowly) develop this.

Hope that helps. Has someone made a specific complaint? Remember the saying: you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Oh no we havent had any complaints just some answers to a questionnaire, it said they would like to know more about the activities we do and how their child is progressing.

We do things like:

x Newsletters- which explains what were doing currently with regards to topics/outings etc..

x Parents evening twice a year with detailed reports

x Two parents notice boards

x All about me sheets -that two parents per week take home.

x The weekly planning is up on a display wall for all to look at and the childrens individual

folders/learning journeys are on a shelf for parents to access as an when they like.

I know its impossible to please everybody and most of our parents do rush in and rush out!!!

Thanks x

A friend of mine whose little boy has just started nursery is really pleased with the little diary he has. His keyworker writes a very brief comment in it (just something like 'he enjoyed playing with the bricks today') and she can then write about what he's interested in at home.

I'm toying with the idea of getting our staff to do something similar, because it makes for a very personalised communication.

A friend of mine whose little boy has just started nursery is really pleased with the little diary he has. His keyworker writes a very brief comment in it (just something like 'he enjoyed playing with the bricks today') and she can then write about what he's interested in at home.

I'm toying with the idea of getting our staff to do something similar, because it makes for a very personalised communication.

This is exactly what we do 'Daily Contact books' - I have always been a great fan of these........however.......one parent is now using her son's book to 'issue instructions'.......oh dear! :o

We do daily contact books with our unders twos as there is only seven babies...we used to do the books for the older children about five years ok...... but found they were so time consuming with all the other paperwork practitioners have already!!x

We do daily contact books with our unders twos as there is only seven babies...we used to do the books for the older children about five years ok...... but found they were so time consuming with all the other paperwork practitioners have already!!x

We try to keep it to just a line or two.........e.g. 'Super morning - super boy'! or 'ask Jonny about the parachute games' something like that........it does get a little more 'time consuming' when you have been asked a question by a parent and need to respond.......

I encourage our parents to tell us about what's happening at home.......e.g. 'Granny is staying' or 'we went to the zoo yesterday' - this can work really well and leads to some great conversation with children........

It does mean too that there is 'daily contact' with those parents who can't get to the setting to deliver/collect their children......

Edited by sunnyday

parents are the most challenging part of the job i think ha, id take paperwork over the parents i had last year! so glad only now i feel for our poor poor year 1 teacher!

have you heard about those wow vouchers on here. i think it was cait or marion or someone. they have wow voucher which family fills in and they get put on a display then later added in their profiles. i have just started them and the parents LOVE it!!! we are also starting stay and play sessions. we have a meeting about phonics to train parets to say the sounds properly e.g bbbbb not 'buh'! ermmmm i have one aft a term where parents can juct phone or come and chat to me in the library and have a cuppa, i got told allsorts about husbands losing jobs, people breaking up etc i think its really good because sometime they just want someone to listen to them.

but saying that it sounds like you already do alot and they should be grateful!!!

We also have a facebook chat room so they can natter to each other and think about fundraising ideas and ask me stuff that they may think of when they are at home - it means that I need to keep a facebook tab open a fair bit - which is a great trial (hehe).

Hi all, We do very similar to the above and we are planning a parents evening on CLLD and letters an sounds phase 1. Many parents dont always appreciate that some of the work children do, particularly large mark making, does not produce an end product. We are going to do a mini presentation in October. I will add a post and let you all know how it goes. If anyone has any tips or has had one of these please give me some tips!

Thanks X

Right been thinking....... how about having `Wow scrapbooks!??

The children could have these books and take them home at weekends if there is a special event, outing or if they are just doing something fun.

The parents could stick photos etc etc in these books and the children could bring them

into nursery to show their friends...good idea??? :o

Edited by Guest

Oh thanks- just ordered scrapbooks from GLS ..... 25 books for 11.45 (my pound sign

isnt working strange) that works out about 45p per book bargin!!!!x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)