Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Play Based Learning

mps09

On friday one of my colleagues strode outside calling to some of the children to keep the sand in the sandpit, she was quite cross and the children did as she had asked and my colleague took a bucket of sand back to the sand pit....

not too much of a problem had the children been pointlessly tipping the sand out on the ground BUT

what they were actually doing was transporting the sand from the sandpit to the outdoor kitchen where they were adding water, grass, stones, stirring with spoons, sharing out into dishes and 'making soup'.

It would have made a wonderful observation and could have been extended in so many ways! It involved children from 2 - 6 so great learning going on....

My question is.... does anyone have a link or information about an article that I could get her to read which might just switch on that area that would make her think this is not untidy, thoughtless mucking around? Does anyone recall any articles in Practical Pre-school or similar?

Any advice gratefully received!!

Love my colleagues to bits but sometimes I just dispair :o

Thank you very much

Wanted to add HUGE sympathy....I am having similar problems......my colleague told a child off for diong a similar thing and slammed a lid of a pot of 'muck' (sand and water and stones mix) that I had been letting the children play with all week....the child was really confused.....she flew at me saying it was such a mess.....be interested to see what others think........loads of learning going on in my opinion.......(yes to those in the know...it was ......da da the Admin Manager!

Edited by Guest

Just as a start, maybe look at this link to a Nursery World article.

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/inDepth/8934...talk-Food-play/

Also, maybe putting posters or A4 laminated sheets with pictures of items crossing the boundaries (sand pit fairy cakes which need to go into the oven?)

just a thought,

Spiral

And just to empathise, yes it can be really frustrating when staff have different ideas, and I have come up against this before.

My staff and I have good clear discussions and we had to bring it out into the open. Those that said they found the messy activities frustrating had their say, then the other staff stated that they preferred to stay in the messy areas and everyone was happy. I did make it clear that this isn't always going to happen on the rota, that I would make an effort and they all understood that.

Good luck :-)

Hi Killowen, just had a look through your transporting schema and think it is fab! Do you have others for different schemas? Would you be willing to share? I think that these will be really useful for getting parents to understand thier child and thier learning styles

Thanks

H

Hi Killowen, just had a look through your transporting schema and think it is fab! Do you have others for different schemas? Would you be willing to share? I think that these will be really useful for getting parents to understand thier child and thier learning styles

Thanks

H

I agree, it's really good, well done!

Spiral

I agree just had a brief look and this would be a really useful document to use with parents and also SMT at my school. Thank you so much for sharing. As others have asked do you have any more on different schema's.

Thanks again

Nicky Sussex :oxD

wow - thank you! glad to know I'm not alone!

thanks for the links - will definitely pass them on for others to read.

my superviser also get fed up when the dino world is set up and dinos end up in sandpit! I think it should be sending messages about the provision - perhaps sand toys are'nt interesting enough?

lts of 'food' for thought :o

thanks again

On friday one of my colleagues strode outside calling to some of the children to keep the sand in the sandpit, she was quite cross and the children did as she had asked and my colleague took a bucket of sand back to the sand pit....

not too much of a problem had the children been pointlessly tipping the sand out on the ground BUT

what they were actually doing was transporting the sand from the sandpit to the outdoor kitchen where they were adding water, grass, stones, stirring with spoons, sharing out into dishes and 'making soup'.

It would have made a wonderful observation and could have been extended in so many ways! It involved children from 2 - 6 so great learning going on....

My question is.... does anyone have a link or information about an article that I could get her to read which might just switch on that area that would make her think this is not untidy, thoughtless mucking around? Does anyone recall any articles in Practical Pre-school or similar?

i know exactly how u feel one of my children said in plan do and review that she was going to draw outisde and was told by my TA that if she wanted to draw she must sit at the 'drawing' table. I have tried talking to her about child initiated tasks but it does not appear to be sinking in so if you get any further on wot to do wouldnt mind some help too

Thank you very much

Wow, Killowen Girl that is some piece of work you have shared! Thank you. Can you let us know how we can best give you credit for this?

just let them know where you got it thank you. I am just pleased it is helpful to settings. thank you everyone. I did have some help from this forum as well so it is a joint effort.

killowengirl

Thanks Killowengirl - just what I need for my Learning Journeys!

A 12 month old I childmind LOVES to move all the books from the bookcase in the conservatory and into the dining room, which is fine - except that when Dad picks up he asks her to tidy them away. They tidy them together, then he says "No" when she starts to take them off again and she looks so bewildered and gets upset.

Think I'll pop your notes with my observation into her L.J :o

Nona

Thank you to everyone who's responsed on this - even I understand the behaviour a bit more having read Killowengirl's handout!

It will be interesting to try and support this schema rather than just let it play out each time ....

We also have a little girl who constantly fills up a particular handbag with anything she can find, including single jigsaw pieces!! now I know why and can support her learning even more through this.

I'm just hooked on schemas now :o

I just love this forum xD:(:(:(

Thank you very much

Hi

what a fab idea, im scrapping my role play for the cafe/rest tomorrow morning and taking the whole lot outside (weather permitting) now lets see what then children do with it. THANKS!!!

I let you know how i go on.

Thank you for that. We have a T/A who has completed a level 2. When she commented on a childs behaviour I casual said it was because it was the childs current schema, she hadn't a clue what I was talking about and I was shocked :o I shall be taking your document in for her to read. I've verbually explained and she's shown an interest and been spotting some schemes herself but your document will fill in the gaps for her. (

This is absolutely fascinating, thank you so much.

It's not a word I've come across even though behaviour is my 'area' (although with older children).

I think with older children you're probably talking about preferred learning styles and multiple intelligences meaning pretty much the same thing.

My own daughter has a very very strong transportation schema, which I've only realised thanks to this thread! I must stop whinging when she packs bags and deposits them around the house!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)