Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swine Flu Again - Sorry

We have a case where a sibling has been diagnosed with swine flu and the parent has asked if her child can still come to Pre School - I didnt really see a problem with this as the Pre School child shows no signs or symptoms at the mo - however other members of staff think the other parents will see this as a big problem - we live in a small village a news spreads very quickly

I cant seem to get any up to date advice and early years is uncontactable til Monday so any advice would be greatly appriciated - Thank you

This is so difficult isn't it - the sibling is well - so why shouldn't they attend? What of course, we cannot know is are they incubating swine 'flu or not. Didn't that programme the other evening suggest that by next year everyone will have had swine 'flu it was just the severity of their symptoms that would vary.

i would be reluctant to turn the child away because they are not unwell - why do parents have to give this decision to us anyway - it puts me in mind of the parents that say, " oh he's been feeling poorly this morning, but he so wanted to come today, because he would miss his friends so much" - why cant the parent be the adult in that situation - surely the parent must do what is right for the child, not what the child wants, or use the child as an excuse.

Perhaps the answer lies in asking the parent to consider how she would feel if the situation were another family - would she be o.k. with that child attending and possibly infecting her child?

i'm sorry I don't feel I have been able to offer any words of wisdom, we will all be facing this at some time in the next few months, let us hope that parents begin to be sensible about the 'flu. I have said in my newsletter this week if their child has a fever not to send them into pre-school. If their child develops a fever at pre-school we will send them home - what more can we ask of ourselves? We just have to follow guidelines about hand washing and nose blowing/sneezing.

we have had a few children diagnosed with swine flu and the advice we received from the HPU and Ofsted was to carry on with our stringent hygiene practices and that we should/could not exclude or ask the siblings of the ill child to stay away from the setting unless they where showing signs or symptons i have a leaflet that we have been given on swine flu advice that i will upload.

Edited by belle06

Thank you for the leaflet. My daughter was diagnosed by contacting the helpline and tamiflu issued. Sought further advice and told only 1 in 10 people diagnosed actually have the illness. Can't tell unless swabbed. By all accounts tamiflu often causes more problems than swime flu. Riduculous i think. My daughter getting better with good old fashioned rest and usually remedies. :o

U r welcome our LA sent it out today so it is hot off the press I found it quite informative

Thanks for that links - it's really helpful seems to say it all!

At the beginning we seemed to be getting stuff daily from our LA, most of it not that helpful......Now there's something useful out there that don't send the info or links!!

xxx

Thank you for that Belle.

Hopefully our winter will not be too bad. Stayed up ntil 2am last night watching programme on Swine Flu, under 5's will be the most affected.