Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What A Night!

JacquieL

Well I have just finished dealing with a man at the door who had had too much to drink, fallen over our wall and hit his head! He was obviously confused and also not mentally stable, but not aggressive poor chap. My tea towels came in handy and it isn't the first time I've used them to staunch blood. His confusion led us to call the Police and we had 2 police cars, a paramedic vehicle, and eventually an ambulance, in our drive. He told me he had come to sleep on his Father's grave. We live by a cemetery. Still he's gone to hospital now. He had a hospital band on so must have been there earlier today, and his head was covered in cuts and stitch marks. The Police were really patient and kind which is more than I can say for the paramedic!

It's been a bit of a week really as the day before we had someone at 5 am shouting the odds outside the house and slumping on the Cemetery wall. It sounded as if he had had an argument with his family. He was obviously aggressive so we kept clear. After about an hour we called the police but he disappeared before they came.

Now it's bedtime I think as I've never been one for late nights, or early mornings for that matter. :o

Oh dear Jacquie! Poor chap. He was lucky to find a good samaritan in you who took care of him and saw that he got the attention he obviously needs.

When my dad escaped from his hospital ward, a kindly lady gave him a ride in her car but left him on the side of the road when her journey took her in a different direction to that he was taking. When he fell over and couldn't get up a nice lorry driver set him on his feet again - so that he was able to walk from one end of town to the other to get home.

Like my Dad did, I'm sure your visitor will be tucked up back in his hospital bed safe and sound and recovering from his adventure.

Sleep well - you've done your good deeds for the whole week, I imagine!

Maz

Oh dear!!

We've been through similiar things so can undertand your feelings.We had an attempted murder in our garden so we moved and here we had someone who had burglared a house locally knock on our door late at night 'looking for...' trying to hide from the police. Husband held him cornered with a baseball bat in the garden while I called the police :o Husband had been going to bed so he only had his under pants on at the time!!!! xD

It really unsettles you and best to talk about it-better out than in as my mum says

Goodness me we do have interesting lives don't we? I can remember my hubby in only his underpants chasing someone down the street, they tried to steal a neighbours car! My Aunt sounds like your Dad Maz, she frequently went walkabout at funny times of the night, as she was very confused and developing dementia. What a worry they can be? Eventually she went to live in a really caring sheltered home where she was well looked after until she died last year aged 92.

It seems to happen everywhere!! Awful experiences and take a bit of time to get your head round.

We were broken into one Sunday morning around half 6 (thankfully it was before James was born) and the guy actually walked into our bedroom and woke me up!! He made a dash for it, I screamed at Martin and I then jumped out of bed and chased him halfway down the street in vest top and pants!! (thankfullly I was bit thinner then and gravity hadnt quite set in!)

When I got in the house, Martin was standing at the top of the stairs wondering what was going on!! xD:o To be fair he did have a lot to drink the night before as it was his brothers birthday and you know what men are like, especially irish men! :wacko:

The guy managed to get away with my handbag, but not before he had been through all our cupboards downstairs and trashed the spare room!! xD The handbag was found 3 days later on the path to a housing estate but unfortunately the purse and mobile phone were missing, of course!!

Like you Jackie, I have had moments in front of my house with it being beside the railway and bus station (again thankfully before James was born). Martin's cousin was beaten up on a Saturday night and threw over the railway bridge at the top of the town. They then went down after him and beat him stupid, leaving him for dead. He knew we lived near the railway station and the poor fella crawled along about 1/4 of a mile along the track. How he was able to do this I will never know. Unfortunately, he came off it a bit too early and got stuck behind the fence of the staging area (I think thats what it is called) just opposite our house.

On of our neighbours sons was returning from a night out and was walking along the same side of the road and heard him calling for help. Martins cousin told him what house it was and he hammered on our door, screaming our names and trying to get our attention. Now over here, someone beating your door down and screaming your name at 3 in the morning, might cause a bit more concern than normal. Martin was on sleeping tablets at that time and never heard any of this!! I stood at the top of the stairs, frozen with fear before finally realising who it was and answered the door. I then got my neighbours son to wake Martin and ran over to his cousin and then rang for an ambulance. We couldnt get near him because the gates to the staging area were locked and spent time trying to keep him awake (and also calm martin down who was obviously very angry) before the ambulance and police got there. He was in a bad way and we both went up to the hospital initially and then I had to go round to his mums and break the bad news.

Thankfully he made a full recovery, but the police never did find out who did it.

We have also had one of the local 'druggies', stark naked outside the front of the house, screaming, shouting and dancing to techno music that only he could hear!!! :(:( We did ring the police, but as soon as he heard the sirens over the racket of the techno music, he made a break for it and disappeared, although I have often wondered how difficult it must be to find somebody stark naked in a town full of fully clothed people!! :(

As somebody has already pointed out, the best thing you can do is talk about it and know that did you all that you could to help this man. As Maz has already said, he is probably tucked up in a hospital bed now, getting the care that he needs.

Mummyspud what terrible experiences you have recounted. It is hard to imagine how you must have felt at the time, and afterwards. Nothing I have eveer experienced compares with what it must have been like for you. Your ability to cope and your good humour come across on here. I like the naked man incident! :o , and why are men more able to sleep through these things?

Most of us just don't know how lucky we are do we? As you say talk about it, reflect and move on.

Crikey ladies - what a sheltered life I have led (long may it continue)!

The only experience like this was early one morning - years ago - we heard a man shouting 'Sue' over and over again - I got up to investigate - it was a neighbour - known for his 'drinking' - but also known for his 'shooting' (wildlife you understand) - anyway I bolted back into the house but unfortunately he had seen me and came in after me - I hid (yes I know what a chicken) he ran out again and back up to the field behind our house.....

Mr Sunnyday got up and went to deal with the situation....with me saying no don't he might have his gun......anyway the upshot was that the poor man thought that the horse in the field had eaten his wife.........he kept saying it has, it has look I can see her hair (the horses tail).......I'm laughing as I'm writing this and I really shouldn't be :o .......

Anyway Mr Sunnyday was a complete hero - took him back to his house - the poor chap ended having some 'hospital treatment'.........

This is the sort of 'excitement' I can live without..........the poor man obviously has no recollection of any of this - we still see him about - he stills drinks far too much - but seems to be recovered mentally.........we have never told anyone about any of this - oh until now........but then you have no idea who he is.......

It is hard to imagine how you must have felt at the time, and afterwards.

To be completely honest its either fight or flight at the time (for me anyway). Its usually afterwards that it all hits home!!

The time of the robbery I simply lept out of bed and gave chase. It was only when I returned to the house, that the full impact of what had happened hit me and the tears started.

As for the incident with Martins cousin, my fear at the top of the stairs was the worst part, wondering if someone had got their houses mixed up and decided the occupants time was up!! (it can happen) Once I got out to him, I panicked for about 3 seconds when I saw the state of him and then the automatic sensible head kicked in. Afterwards I couldnt thank my neighbours son enough. I kept thinking that if he hadnt walked past when he did and he was only so late walking past because he had been out in Belfast (usual arrive home is 3.30am on the last bus), then Martins cousin may have lay there all night and lost his life because of it.

As for the naked man, well that was just funny!! He wasnt a bad dancer by the way, even Martin commented on his dancing and said it was definately techno he was dancing to!!!

Believe me when I say there are some experiences in life I could definately do without and the first two are definately the experiences I would rather have missed.

As for the naked man, it was worth it simply for the entertainment value!! Even the police were laughing. If my memory serves me correctly, they did catch him on a later occassion. He jumped into a hedge in a desperate bid to escape and the only thing you could see were his feet halfway up, unfortunately for him the police knew the feet were his!! For his sake I hope he was wearing clothes on that occassion :oxD

My 13 yr old daughter was followed by a man, well a youth really on her way to school three times last week. She didn't tell us until the weekend. The police came around and took a statement. The third time she noticed him was when he got out of a car and followed her as the car was driven slowly behind.

She said she felt very uncomfortable and the hairs on the back of her neck were 'prickly'. I'm a firm believer in female intuition and am so glad that she has this ability to sense danger.

I have walked her to her friends house every morning this week and there has been a police presence in the estate.

It's very worrying as she looks much older than her years and is taller than me. I'd have thought that a predator would go for smaller kids if they meant any harm.

Of course it may be all very innocent......some people may not realise that their actions may be construed as being suspicious. At least I'm hoping that this is the case.

Blimey dublinbay - I just got my own 'prickly on the back of my neck' moment reading your post. I was followed for quite a period by a strange man when I was in junior school. Things were very different then mind you, but the police came and took a statement etc.

Later when I was a teenager I was tall and well developed for my age and that brought its own problems simply because I was frequently being mistaken for a much older girl.

I hope whoever this person is, they just look a bit 'shady' and have no ill intentions. Sounds like you've done a good job with your daughter in that she can recognise the danger signs and knows how to keep herself safe. Scary stuff though, isn't it?

Maz

Yes it is scary Maz. But it doesn't seem to have daunted her at all. The only thing she's worried about is how long I am going to follow her to her friend's house in the mornings!! I only actually follow her at a discreet distance........she doesn't want her friends to see her (or me). She also told me that it has made her more aware of her surroundings.....she notices things more and pays more attention to who and what is around. Some teenagers walk around with i-pods in their ears totally oblivious to their immediate surroundings so I think she has learnt a valuable lesson.

As for this guy in the hoodie......no sign of him all this week and the police are still driving around the area.

Meanwhile, my daughter and her friends are trying to work out (regimental style) different routes to take to school and whether they can meet at the tops of the roads and gather their members as they go. When she comes out of our house she can see down to the top of the next road where one friend would be waiting etc etc. If she can organise and carry this out she can come and organise our pre-school outings with parents.....should be good!! :o

Some teenagers walk around with i-pods in their ears totally oblivious to their immediate surroundings so I think she has learnt a valuable lesson.

Family bought me one of those things you play music on and they uploaded? my favourite CD's. I only wore it once but realised how vunerable it made me walking the dog on my own especially at 6am. I kept spinning round to check. :o I fell the first day back at school on my early morning walk and twisted my ankle.It was a bit scary trying to get home.I now carry a mobile in case I need rescuing in future. xD