Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Elgs? Profile Points? Whats The Difference?

Hi, I'm having a bit of a relapse here! Whats the difference?

I always thought you planned from the ELGs and then tried to observe the children 'doing one of the profile points'

but I seem to have heard so many conflicting views I now don't know what I'm doing!

ELG's = Learning objective thats right isn't it!?!?

Agggrrrhhh! :o

thanks x

No the ELGs are the assessment at the end of the year Early Learning Goals - and while I do populate mine during the year I do not plan from them. Once popultated for the first time I then see if there are any common gaps etc and then I plan from Development Matters and then at the end of each term use my observations to decide which of the ELGs children have achieved.

The Profile is the summary of a child's achievements at the end of the reception year and not intended as a planning document. If you do a search on here you will find a large number of threads on planning, which I'm sure you will find helpful, as you can imagine it is a very popular topic.

Yes I understand what the profile is - but where do you get the objectives from that you put on the plans? At my last school the early years co told me to use the Early Learning Goals as the objectives.

I don't know what I mean anymore!!! :o

I was given a sheet of Early Learning Goals from which to plan by at my last school - not sure of they were taken from the Stepping stones.

At my new school we use the 'creative learning journey' and plan using the wheels. (see website www.thecreativelearningjourney.com)

The learning objectives on the medium term planning tool are skills based and say they are taken from the Early Years Early Learning Goals. I was just trying to figure out where they got them from, as there is alot of repetition and I am worried about my coverage throughout the year.

Yes - Thanks everyone - It is beginning to make more sense now! So if I plan using this 'creative learning journey thingy' that the school has spent a fortune on and then check my coverage termly (3x a year) using the New EYFS doc I should be ok?!?

Thank you for all your help xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)