Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Has Anyone Ever Set Up A Playgroup?

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had ever set up a playgroup (not a toddler group session) from scratch and if so how did you go about it. I know of a possible school where this may be possible and was wondering whether to approach them, but don't want to go blind (if you know what I mean). I wondered if there would be help available in the form of a grant or something initially and how you go about registering as a charity and getting a parent committee. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Netta

Sorry Netta I have never been involved in setting one up.

However I would suggest that you think carefully about who you would like to be on your committee. I would consider trying to include some people who are experienced in Early Years and able to contribute from the practitioners point of view.

Thanks to my understanding it is mainly parents that are on the comittee but not sure. I may see if I can arrange to talk to someone in a different area to see if they will help me out advice wise as to how to set up.

You're welcome Netta.

I'm just aware that there seem to be a lot of pre-school leaders who might have fewer problems if they had someone on the committee who had a deeper understanding of what is involved in running and early years setting. I have been in the position of trying to explain things to a group of parents whose jobs are very different and it is not easy.

Netta, speak to your local authority early years dept, as they may well have an advisor who can help you. Also speak to the Pre School Learning Alliance who will adcise you as well. Think carefully about the type of set up you want. Quite frankly, I would go for owner managed rather than charity/manangement committee route!!!

i would agree private rather than committee. People do not seem to want to take on committee roles these days - too much resoponsibility, financial risks, more people working these days so not much time. the list goes on. i have my playgroup because for several years the committee got less and less forcing the playgroup to close. I took on as a private concern two years ago. we are on school premises and rent building but thats all their involvement. everything els is down to me. registered with ofsted fortunatly had children from old playgroup and took on some of the staff aswell. all went smoothly two years on best thing i die. staff prefer private than committee.

in our areas we have a local pre school parent and toddler group (pata) they advised on what we needed.

all the best

Definetly Private not committee. Have done both and wouldn't go back to committee. I like being my own boss and not having alot of parents telling me what to do. lol Check with your LEA and the NDNA even though you will be opening a pre-school.

Approach the School and see what they want.

Don't be frightened at opening your own pre-school there is alot of us on the Forum who will give you advise as most of us have been there and bought the t-shirt.

Go for it and good luck

Steph

as suggested contact LEA they should have a Development Officer or similar who will come and visit you or you her to discuss your proposal.

Is there a need is the other question to ask, or are there already sufficient providers in the area. this may have a bearing on if you will get any funding to set up a new setting.

Think carefully about committees as they can be more trouble than they are help, as many can testify on here.. i was lucky and had a good one for many years, there can be very good committees out there, but they change so often and I have also had bad experiences, and these days the responsibility is enormous for a volunteer..

Inge

I would echo the others avoid parent commitees we are based in a church hall and the staff run it as a managmet commitee and the church are the trustees we have to submit accounts to them at the end of every year but other than that we are our own boss but with all the perks of charity because we are part of the church

there are a variety of ways you can set up as a small business and your local early years probably has business advisor I know my area does and they have been a great support as I have expanded and changed things in the setting

key things market research and business plan before you go too far

if there is an identified need in the area for preschool provision and nursery places then there are possibly grants available both from your local early years and sure start depending on the space you have and what services you can provide as well if your considering a preschool could you offer a toddler group its a great way to get the children in the door feeding the sessions and if your on a school site bonus parents dont want to be going from one place to another dropping off siblings to different places

there was a topic not long ago asking the same questions so I'd do a topic search

Thanks everyone for your advice so far! I know there are quite a few playgroups etc in our area, but to be truthful I'm being a bit sneaky! Years ago my son went to a playgroup attached to a school that closed a few years ago (not sure why). I have heard that the school are looking to reopen it through the grapevine. I don't know if I should email the head teacher to express my interest at this stage. I know they have a nursery and all the other schools in the area have a play group or similar attached to them. Not sure what to do, don't want to miss out.

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had ever set up a playgroup (not a toddler group session) from scratch and if so how did you go about it. I know of a possible school where this may be possible and was wondering whether to approach them, but don't want to go blind (if you know what I mean). I wondered if there would be help available in the form of a grant or something initially and how you go about registering as a charity and getting a parent committee. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Netta

Get in touch with you develpment worker from PLA She will give you support and advise and signpost some playgroup in your area .

I don't know if I should email the head teacher to express my interest at this stage.

I would definitely get in touch with the head and find out what the situation is. If the rumour you've heard is untrue, then you may have done a lot of work for nothing. If there is substance to the rumour there is no harm in letting her know that you're seriously interested!

Maz

I went to the childcare development worker that works for our local council and she was extremely helpful. Once you start you find advice (as well as brick walls!) from many places. Just put feelers out everywhere! I am wanting to set up my own but unlike you I'm having premises trouble.. so if you may have that hurdle sorted.. go for it, speak to the head! Wishing you the very best of luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)