Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swine Flu

Hi! In preparing for our new term which starts next week I was trying to see if there have been any changes in the advice for settings over the summer. I did read an e-article from Nursery World that we should remove any cuddly toys....... what do you think? Is this correct, have you done it? I can't find that in any official advice and am wondering what to do.

I can't see any point whatsoever in removing cuddly toys.

If you look into the advice about hygiene it tells you that these bugs die on soft surfaces an awful lot faster than on hard ones.

It might make the parents feel like you are being pro-active but think of the distress caused by denying so many children their comforters.

Sorry for sounding really negative but I can't see the point of that. If a child is in the setting with the virus the others can catch it from normal contact within the setting.

Unless you have a child with a compromised immune system or something which makes them particularly at risk from swine flu I would just carry on as normal.

I think it is more important that we teach children to use tissues properly, wash their hands, etc which are skills which could help protect everyone if the virus becomes more dangerous in the future.

Hi! In preparing for our new term which starts next week I was trying to see if there have been any changes in the advice for settings over the summer. I did read an e-article from Nursery World that we should remove any cuddly toys....... what do you think? Is this correct, have you done it? I can't find that in any official advice and am wondering what to do.

Hi LJW - there is 'official guidance' on this - I found it 'once' it was either DCSF or HPA or Teachernet - can't remember which - do a 'forum search' and you will find it in one of the other 'Swine Flu' threads........

I think I may remove mine ....... not sure.......will discuss at Friday's Staff Meeting!

If my memory serves.......there is also advice about not allowing children to share pens/pencils/crayons.......I don't really understand this....seems to me that there are lots of other things that children are even more likely to put in their mouths - play food in home corner for example........

Not looking forward to having to deal with this issue again (we had Staff member with Swine Flu before summer break - all got a bit fraught).........this is one of those times when being an Owner/Manager can feel like 'lonely' place........the buck stops here!

Obviously good advice from Upsy Daisy.

Think I need to get 'something in writing' (policy) before our start of term - next Monday.......

Oh quick edit to say - wouldn't 'take away' anyones 'comforter'

Edited by sunnyday

I totaly agree with you Upsy Daisy, I also think things are becoming a tad hysterical over the whole thing.

If we stop children sharing pens pencils etc then we may as well give up. What about wqter trays, sand pits,clay, play dough etc? The whole thing is now becoming more then a little ridiculous. But what do I know, not even back at work yet :o

Would this mean we would have to remove all soft furnishings, dolls' clothes and dolls, any bedding we may use for the home corner, dressing up clothes?

I just feel we need to be sensible and take each day as it comes. The soft toys can be washed more easily than the bricks etc. I will be leaving ours out and bringing them home to wash more frequently.

Linda

Would this mean we would have to remove all soft furnishings, dolls' clothes and dolls, any bedding we may use for the home corner, dressing up clothes?

I just feel we need to be sensible and take each day as it comes. The soft toys can be washed more easily than the bricks etc. I will be leaving ours out and bringing them home to wash more frequently.

Linda

I know.......the more you think about it.........it's just not practical.........just slightly worried about the 'implications' of not following official advice...........

I had a surf and found that little gem about removing communal soft toys on teachernet. The information I saw a couple of weeks ago said that the flu virus can live on soft surfaces for 20 minutes and hard ones for several hours.

I can't see how removing soft surfaces can help unless we are expected to clean all hard surfaces every 20 minutes or more!

It is very confusing and frustrating and there doesn't seem to be any one agency we can ask questions of to clarify it. I have an old PTA colleague who is a microbiologist, perhaps I should email her.

Its probably likely that as autumn hits us and it becomes more apparent as to whether the flu is getting more virulent as some experts have predicted, that further advice will be issued if needed. Otherwise I would just stick to good hygiene procedures as before. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)