Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Register Format

Hi,

We are a new setting about to open in September. It's all getting a bit too real!!

Just wondering about the register in a Pre-school setting. I am a teacher so am used to using the official blue school registers however do not particularly want to use one of those in pre-school, although I know lots of people do but I find it a bit confusing when you have got different children every day and don't want to be calling out all the names.

I actually don't really want to be calling out any names at all at this stage if I can help it.

We are doing a timed sign-in sheet and sign-out for all the children's parents to fill in and also a self registration board for the children.

My questions are: Are you legally required to do registers in those blue book formats or can you make your own consisting of separate sheets in a file?

And what is the actual requirement as far as taking a formal register? Can it be done by an adult marking children in without calling out names?

I know there are pros to sitting down and listening for your name, answering etc but I'd like to try it a different way to begin with to free up as much time as possible for other play and activities.

What do other people do?

Thanks.

Hello, in the pre-school where I work we have daily parents sign in/out sheets, which we pre-print with children's names (which makes it easy for us to see who is due in each day), children also self register (using name tags on their coat hooks that they hang up in main room) and then leader fills in county council register when all children have arrived. County council register allows easy totalling up of absences and viewing of children's attendance over a length of time (may be needed for funding issues). So no calling out of names as there is no need. You may find that different county councils may have their own rules as to what format they recommend.

My register is on the computer - it's uploaded on the forum somewhere - and I also have a register tyhat the children in my group (the oldest ones) call out and mark. They self register by putting their names up on the magnetic whiteboard and if they want to they can write it alongside too. the children's register is the one that goes out with us if we need to evacuate

My register is taken at the door by a member of staff as the children arrive, she marks them in with the time they arrive, the children then go into the hall and self-register by putting their name cards in a box. Later as they leave, they are marked out with the time they leave the building.

The register has columns for their name, date of birth days they attend then two columns in and out for each day, and we total it up at the bottom.

we use a sign in/out sheet for the parents as the children enter and leave and the children then self register and that is it

a class register helps keep a track of childrens attendance but that can be covered using the signing in sheet

ofsted like to see -

time in and out so that we can prove we know who is in and out and when

total numbers of children and staff recorded to ensure that staff ratios are covered at all times

other than that I think its up to you how you handle registers

I dont know if there is any requirement for parents to sign children in and out but alot of settings do it as its an easy way to make sure time in and out is recorded and it helps keep parents aware of regular lateness

Id also like to say "all the best with your new group"

We do the same as Panders, a member of staff is responsible for register recording times of arrival etc. I personally would not want to rely on parents doing this.....I have just written an excel spreadsheet which has columns for what we need and also a box for working out ratios. Much better than the bought one as I have one sheet per week which means we are not juggling folded pages.

Hi Edlee

Registers are pretty much up to the individual setting. As long as you are recording childrens and staff attendance each day, for fire drills and headcounts format is up to you. Ofsted also require times in and out as well.

Good luck in September. I started my pre-school a few years ago - challenging and rewarding just about sums it up for me! This forum will be a real help to you. Theres nothing like having somewhere to go where people really understand where you are coming from - the help I can find here is great.

Sally

Hi

have just finished my register for the year. I have attached a blank one on her for you. It has lots of things that I just transfer on to the computer at the end of the week. I permark the children in so that i know whos in and so on. If they don't come in I simply cross them through. S for sick. H for holiday. Easy peasy. If a parent chooses to pay for lunch seperatly from there bill it goes on the register.

Have attached the file.

Kat

blank_Flexable_registar.xls

Hiya

We do a record arrivals and departures in a register but the children self register as others do. the official reg then gets filled in when majority of children in and doors are locked rather then as they walked in which tied up a member of staff. This is for emergency purposes in particulary.At news time sometimes especially at the beginning of a term I do read out the children names it settles the children and they get to know everybodys names aswell as makinf them feel important as they answer 'Have you come to play today?' For many years now we see and parents tell us one of the things the children often mimic from pre-school is the reading of the register. :o Quick question I know the arrival and departure times are required by Ofsted are the childrens D.O.B.? We do have them at mo but new electonic format doesnt.

Andrea

Edited by Andreamay

we have and always have created our own ......fine by ofsted and easier for us to use

i have the names listed on there of the children that are in for that day, but what you must show is

core time of starting and finishing and therefore enter any times of arrivals or departures that are outside of those core times

who is the childs key person

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)