Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Submitting Sef - Lots Of Questions - Getting Fed Up

Have finally managed to get onto Ofsted online (security token not working etc)

The account is registered in my Chair's name so Ofsted won't help me with queries. However, it is me who has completed the SEF as Chair wouldn't have a clue.

Couple of questions:

The online form doesn't have the bit where you rate yourself so is that bit just for us and not for Ofsted to see?

Also online form says that my Chair has completed it as it's her name on the account but I've put in all the work.

Online form also doesn't have the bit at beginning of downloaded Word form that says completed by, name and role and date completed. Does Ofsted online form ask for this info once submitted?

As Ofsted will only speak to Chair and Chair is hard to get hold of and doesn't really want me baggering her with questions - can anyone help me?

ppp

This is where it falls down really, isn't it. what if 'chair' had died or emigrated - taking passwords etc with them! Silly system - I can see why it's necessary, but there should be a system whereby the manager can submit a completed SEF, even if the Chair hasn't done one. Mine did say 'completed by' and I'm pretty sure I rated myself too.

When we did ours on line, the chair phoned Ofsted and changed me to the 'nominated' person :o

They spoke to me over the phone, usual stuff DOB etc, they then sent me my own 'key'.

So am now able to change/ add bits when ever I need to xD

Good luck with it :(

Chicken

Hi everyone,

Just remember that the format changes in September. I had the bumph in the post from Ofsted yesterday so I'm waiting until next month to finally change my SEF from paper to online. The info also says it should be easier!

Sharky.

I had the same problem last week......

There is a form called EY2 declaration and consent that you can download from the ofsted website, this enables your details has a manger etc to be put on the system too!!!!!x

Just had a thought does the Sef change in Sept for Day nurseries aswell as schools??

Edited by Guest

Thanks everyone. I realise it's changing but I want to upload it anyway. What I'm more puzzled about is where you rate yourself for each section and add bits for improvement? Is this just for own benefit? Be good to hear from someone who has submitted theirs.

Thanks

ppp

Hi PPP - I think the ratings and improvements bits are to show where you feel you are now , but also to show what you plan to do next - kinda thing.

So really when you re -submit the next sef you will have acted on your improvements bit and maybe have new ones??!!

Ideally you should probably have some kind of action plan in place saying what your gonna do, how & by when - paperwork again !!!

I am almost ready to submit 2nd sef and when I did it this time I was really surprise how much we'd achieved so far.

I would say make your improvements bit managable and as specific as you can - so you can get them done!

BUT it is only my opinion and I could be COMPLETELY wrong

Carmen

Hi PPP, I'm a chair and can speak to Ofsted and so can my leader, they should presumably have both your details somewhere as you would be registered with them?

I am not planning to submit ours online. I spoke to them recently and they said there is absolutely no problem with simply posting it. I worry about putting such sensitive info online and also have heard lots of people who have had problems filling it in.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best, i.e. good old snail mail.

Thanks SuzieC8, my details are with Ofsted as I often speak to them but was told by someone in the SEF department that he could only direct me to the webpage as I was not the registered person. Chair is changing within the next month so the name has to be changed anyway so will ask for my details to be on there.

Thank you for your reply Carmen - just want to clarify by your reply that you mean that Ofsted don't need to see the areas for improvement or how you rate yourself which is why there is no section for it on the online form?

thanks

ppp

Hi PPP, I'm a chair and can speak to Ofsted and so can my leader, they should presumably have both your details somewhere as you would be registered with them?

I am not planning to submit ours online. I spoke to them recently and they said there is absolutely no problem with simply posting it. I worry about putting such sensitive info online and also have heard lots of people who have had problems filling it in.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best, i.e. good old snail mail.

Hmmm...that's my 'plan' too ...although I have now stopped working on mine....waiting to see/hear what these changes are - like the idea that it may be shorter - but not pleased that I have spent sooooo much time on it and am only halfway through :o

Don't worry sunnyday mine went to Portugal with me and stayed in the suitcase for 3 weeks. Still not finished but might send it in anyway so they can see how we've progressed. In fact lots of things have changed since I originally drafted it in about May/June time so I almost wish I'd sent it in then!

What happened to the summer SEF club?

Thanks SuzieC8, my details are with Ofsted as I often speak to them but was told by someone in the SEF department that he could only direct me to the webpage as I was not the registered person. Chair is changing within the next month so the name has to be changed anyway so will ask for my details to be on there.

Thank you for your reply Carmen - just want to clarify by your reply that you mean that Ofsted don't need to see the areas for improvement or how you rate yourself which is why there is no section for it on the online form?

thanks

ppp

Well unless the form has changed - there's a box after each 'evaluation ' bit that says ' on the basis of your evaluation, what are your priorities for improvements' , then a further box 'My Practice is: Outstanding , etc' where you rate yourself. Or is this not you mean at all? Sorry if its confusing - I might just be making it worse!

You can get your own password / security token so you can do the form in your own name...you need to get your chair to ring ofsted and ask that they send you one. I did that as i knew my chair wouldn't even be aware what the SEF was let alone want to fill it in! I have had my password for a year ..though have yet to use it!

Carmen - it's not on the ofsted online form when you submit it only the word document I downloaded

Hi I have just submitted mine, there was a space for future improvements/plans and also how you rate your current practice have your scrolled right down to the bottom of the page it should be there...... :o I say should be but you know OFSTED.....lol

Is that at at the end before you click submit? I've only filled in the first section.

ppp

It was on every area that you receive a judgement for.....

I'm sorry I just don't understand - I feel rather stupid.

I'll try and describe what I see:

Ofsted Online - I'm signed in up comes a page where you click 'select registration'.

Next page - up comes my setting and I click on the URN number. Under current saved form I click 'edit'. Then appears the page with each section to write in (tabs across the top: setting details, views of others, learning and development, welfare etc the last being submit). There is a box to put your evaluation in and that is all except buttons at the bottom: print, save, previous, next.

Thank you for your patience

ppp

I'm sorry I just don't understand - I feel rather stupid.

I'll try and describe what I see:

Ofsted Online - I'm signed in up comes a page where you click 'select registration'.

Next page - up comes my setting and I click on the URN number. Under current saved form I click 'edit'. Then appears the page with each section to write in (tabs across the top: setting details, views of others, learning and development, welfare etc the last being submit). There is a box to put your evaluation in and that is all except buttons at the bottom: print, save, previous, next.

Thank you for your patience

ppp

Hi PPP

No probs, I struggled with it the first time, I have just double checked online....

When you get to the heading for Learning and development (same for welfare etc..)at the bottom of the page is or should be a box that is headed My practice is....this offers options for grading your practice.....unsatisfactory, satisfactory etc...

Hope this is a bit clearer.

L

Edited by Guest

Thank you lalaloulou - it's there as you said however last week it wasn't!

Next step - get my own logging in details and then I can query Ofsted themselves.

Many many many thanks

ppp

Thank you lalaloulou - it's there as you said however last week it wasn't!

Next step - get my own logging in details and then I can query Ofsted themselves.

Many many many thanks

ppp

Glad to be of help!

Good luck with it... :o