Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Camping Trip

emmajess

I'm very excited (more than the children :o ) because we're going on our first ever family camping trip today! We're taking our 2 year old and 4 year old, so wondered if anyone had any top tips for making it extra fun / less stressful?

We're taking marshmallows to toast - what else can we do with our campfire?

How brilliant!!!

We used to go camping every year when our boys were young..........we always took bikes and fishing rods....but this was the New Forest so that was good for there....where are you going?

Have fun - hope the weather is klind to you - could research 'days out' online before you leave.

Sunnyday

A quick edit to say....I've come over all 'nostalgic' now!!!

Have remembered I used to pack a lot of washing up bowls - that's exciting isn't it!!!

Edited by sunnyday

Hope you have lots of fun, last time I went camping was when I was about 7 yrs old, many many moons ago. :(

I have this 'memory' (which may not be correct :o ) of an earwig crawling into my ear xD .

First thoughts, don't forget the lighter/matches or get very skilled in rubbing two sticks together. :(

Robust toys that are easy to carry and are used for outdoor play.

Insect repellant

Favourite cuddly toy.

Replacement batteries (unless there is access to a charger or you are going electronic free :( )

I can just imagine how wonderful a full english breakfast will taste cooked on an open fire (yum yum)

Plenty of baked beans!!??

Enjoy, let us know all about it on your return.

ooh, last thought, there is a website called RaisingKids, I would be surprised if they don't have any 'family camping tips' on their site.

Peggy

How brilliant!!!

We used to go camping every year when our boys were young..........we always took bikes and fishing rods....but this was the New Forest so that was good for there....where are you going?

As it's our first one (and there's always the possibility of complete hysteria in the middle of the night - children or adults!- and needing to give up and come home) we're only going quite locally, to a campsite called Wowo near Uckfield.

Have put washing up bowls on my list!!

As it's our first one (and there's always the possibility of complete hysteria in the middle of the night - children or adults!- and needing to give up and come home) we're only going quite locally, to a campsite called Wowo near Uckfield.

Have put washing up bowls on my list!!

Oh I've just had a look at their website....looks great...especially the 'Friday night sing song round the bonfire'! - Hope you are in good voice!!!

Plenty of games for the evening - no TV and you need to keep them entertained! We had lots of board games - but perhaps yours are a bit young for ludo, snakes and ladders?

Hope the weather improves!

How lovely...we have always camped and have just come back from our field (100 yards down the road!).

The children love camping out and we are short of money so we set up down the road and made a big fire...we wrapped small new potatoes in foil and put around the fire, myhusband made prongs from sticks to cook sausages on and we had toast done the same way....it was brilliant and the first time ever everyone cooked their own tea!

Have a great time...drawback is that you will all smell of campfire....I am in the shower queue at the moment...unfortunately I come last.... :o

Edited by Guest

Have a great time...drawback is that you will all smell of campfire....I am in the shower queue at the moment...unfortunately I come last.... xD

Oh I was wondering what the smell was!!! :(:o

Sounds brilliant to me shirel - those are the memories that you will look back on and laugh about when your children are all grown!

My sons have both taken their own families back to places that we visited when they were young! :(

Edited by sunnyday

my main things i used to take were kitchen roll/loo roll, games and a cool box with lots of ice packs (lots of campsites usually have a freezer to freeze them in for you) - so you can keep things cool.

have a lovely time - hope weather is good to you. :o

We had a lovely time - wish we'd booked for longer!! But good trial run. It was an amazing place with loads of places for children to explore, a stream to paddle in, trees to climb, rope swings.... It was great just watching loads of children running around all over the place, completely independent of their grown-ups, not reliant on CBeebies etc, just making up their own games, finding their own adventures. Absolutely brilliant. Here are some pictures!

post-11485-1250876532_thumb.jpg

post-11485-1250876638_thumb.jpg

post-11485-1250876772_thumb.jpg

post-11485-1250876900_thumb.jpg

I've not had much camping experience, but I'd definitely recommend this campsite!

Great photo's, and trust me to notice the can of Fosters in the arm rest of the chair. xD:(

Also if you look on the fourth picture, the tree just above your sons head, it looks like a 'spooky' face in the bark. :o

Peggy

Hi looks like you all had a great time. We camped near our home this weekend but was only for one night and the girls loved it apart from my older daughter having a nosebleed at 4am. Luckily because it was at a fundraising event there were first aiders on site and it stopped quite quickly.

Nicky Sussex :oxD