Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents That Won't Pay

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken a stance this week against bad paying parents. I have told one set of parents who owe me £2000 that they pay within 30 days or I take her through the Small Claims court, which I hope will work as he is a policeman and I don't think they can get into financial trouble. I have also suspended their place and after 30 days the place is revoked.

Done the same to a parent who owes me 2 months money -

From now on, I am not going to give any leaway. I try to be kind but always get the sand kicked in my face......

We suffer as many of you do with parents disapearing owing a lot of money.

I suggested to my Chair that parents are issued with a bill at the beginning of 1/2 term, given 2 weeks to pay, if they don't they are then given a reminder and if they still haven't paid after a week their place be suspended for a 2 week period and if they still haven't paid then their place be withdrawn. She thought that we wouldn't be able to do this, but surely if it was in your policies and part of your induction procedures you could.

I am not talking about parents who make some attempt to pay little bits here and there but the habitual non payers.

Any thoughts on this please would be gratefully recieved.

debbie

This is what we do, Debbie. If parents ask to pay in different installments we rewrite the fee letter and apply similar rules, say if they miss 2 weekly payments. We have been told that provided we make it clear what will happen we can do this as we are providing a service which is not being paid for otherwise. Obviously this does not affect funded children, so as far as I am aware we are not breaking any accessibility rules connected to this. It might be different if you offered more than the funded hours and the issues came from charges outside these but from children who could claim funding.

A lot of our non/late payers come from funded children who pay extra for lunch club. Perhaps we could say that we will only allow these people the current 2 1/2 hrs 'free' entitlement.

Debbie