Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Post Counting Ocd! Should I Be Worried?

Alison

ok now I know I am really sad and Im sure I have OCD and I think everyone who reads this post will either say

"Alison that is so sad get a life"

or something along the lines of

"OMG!!!! ME TOO! HELP :o " (please someone tell me Im not the only crazy person here xD )

I admit it I keep an eye on how many posts I have written and like to watch the counter go up slowly over time and spotting significant numbers like 800 the other day....... thats not so strange I hear you say?

but ...... (and theres always a but!) then a few days ago I noticed the number didnt change after a post was added I thought it was just slow but then I noticed posts dont always get added to the "last twenty post" I thought strange? so I checked my posts and according to my maths the post counter is about 10 posts out (now you can say "how sad!")

and this is the bit that I think is cazy behaviour

"why did it bother me that I had to check and add it up"???? what does it say about me as a person?

I think maybe there is a little summer boredom creeping in?

Posts in the Lounge don't show up in the last twenty posts, so that will explain why some of your posts are not there. We did have a bit of a hiccup with the Last Twenty Posts function as well last week, but it has been sorted out now. The Lounge posts do show up in the View New Posts or Today's Active Topics, so other people will still see them if they are members. The lounge is only available to members.

I'm not sure why your post count isn't always registering but I'm sure someone will come along who may be able to explain.

I think we all like to see our post count especially when it comes to milestone posts, so you are not at all unusual. I think we've all been there. xD I do like to think of quality not quantity in all things though :o so you've nothing to worry about there.

and this is the bit that I think is cazy behaviour

"why did it bother me that I had to check and add it up"???? what does it say about me as a person?

I think it says you are a person with an eye for detail, who likes to make sure every 'i' is dotted and every 't' is crossed. I'll bet if you did a Belbin test you'd be the completer/finisher in your team! You're probably the person who sees projects through to the end and keeps everyone else on task.

I have no idea about how the mechanics of post counting works, but I know my post counter clicks up at an alarming rate each day. That's probably because I like the sound of my own voice and can't help but get involved in whatever topic is under discussion. I think it was catma who said a while ago that if she didn't think she had anything useful to say about something then she would read but not post. I am trying to bear this in mind, especially when I am about to say something flippant which won't really move the debate on!

However JacquieL is right - its the quality of your contributions that we value and not the quantity so don't worry about this temporary obsession with post counting. I'm sure it will pass as the activity levels on here rise as people come back from their holidays and begin to think about work again. You'll be at your thousandth post before you know where you are, and without having given it another thought!

Maz

Someone else also raised the issue of their post count not going up with Steve recently I think. It is probably some sort of glitch in the system which I'm sure will be fixed once Steve has a spare moment to look into it!

In the meantime, as Maz says, it is the quality of your posts which is most important rather than the quantity. :o

Ah ha, it is pointed out at the end of the August newsletter, that posts in the lounge are not counting. Note to self.. I really must read through it thoroughly. If anyone wishes to read it or hasn't received it, it is in the Resources section under FS News on the right hand side of the page.

Ah ha, it is pointed out at the end of the August newsletter, that posts in the lounge are not counting. Note to self.. I really must read through it thoroughly. If anyone wishes to read it or hasn't received it, it is in the Resources section under FS News on the right hand side of the page.

Ah, the August newsletter. xD I was planning on reading it, honestly! :o

I was about to add that lounge posts don't count, but found that it had been noted .

I knew I had read it but could not have said where .. shows I did read newsletter, even if I forgot that I had!

and I take no notice of number of posts at all.. keep forgetting to note the milestone ones with a topic when I mean to

Inge

I think it says you are a person with an eye for detail, who likes to make sure every 'i' is dotted and every 't' is crossed. I'll bet if you did a Belbin test you'd be the completer/finisher in your team! You're probably the person who sees projects through to the end and keeps everyone else on task.

Maz

that sounds a very constructive way of explaining it!

I just wish I could be fussy about something that really matters like maybe housework or keeping ontop of paperwork instead im keeping track of petty little things like post counters (dont get me started about facebook applications!) I think they call it avoidance tactics

and please understand Im not that ocd about it just cannt understand my facination with something so trivial?

I just wish I could be fussy about something that really matters like maybe housework or keeping ontop of paperwork

Well I think I've found a kindred spirit here! However, I'll bet that when you do look at the dusting or the paperwork, you do it properly, don't you?

We don't really think you've got OCD either - I would imagine the Forum isn't the first place you'd go to seel that kind of diagnosis! :o

Maz

Well I think I've found a kindred spirit here! However, I'll bet that when you do look at the dusting or the paperwork, you do it properly, don't you?

We don't really think you've got OCD either - I would imagine the Forum isn't the first place you'd go to seel that kind of diagnosis! :o

Maz

Me too xD I think it is absolutely perfectely 'normal' to be perhaps obsessive about some things, we all have our little foibles after all. I was brought up to believe that 'a job worth doing is worth doing properly'!

As for OCD it's perhaps a bit of a sensitive issue for me at the moment - until earlier this year I knew little more than a vague awareness of this disorder but sadly I have, and still am, witnessing at first hand how horrific this disorder can be not only to the sufferer but for the family too. I have a very close friend, highly qualified within the field of early years whom I respect and like enormously whose life has been turned upside down and inside out by OCD. They have a medical diagnosis and are in receipt of superb medical support but it's a long, long road, not to 'recovery' as that won't happen but to get to the stage of being back to some sort of normality and maybe one day return to the job they love.

As for OCD it's perhaps a bit of a sensitive issue for me at the moment - until earlier this year I knew little more than a vague awareness of this disorder but sadly I have, and still am, witnessing at first hand how horrific this disorder can be not only to the sufferer but for the family too.

That is so sad. I think maybe lots of us have things we can be a bit obsessive about - but for the most part we can control it. Perhaps I should be a bit more careful about the terminology I use in such a flippant way?

Maz

That is so sad. I think maybe lots of us have things we can be a bit obsessive about - but for the most part we can control it. Perhaps I should be a bit more careful about the terminology I use in such a flippant way?

Maz

yeah Maz I was thinking that as I read geraldines post but what to call these "obsessive foibles"?

but at least now I can feel better knowing that my quirky ways are not that crazy I hope (is it appropriate that I use the term crazy?)

yeah Maz I was thinking that as I read geraldines post but what to call these "obsessive foibles"?

Well I like to think of my own obsessive foibles as schemas, Alison!

I wouldn't want to set myself up as the arbiter of good taste with regard to politically corrrect terminology Alison - but I think you're ok with crazy!

Maz

Maz

I think you are absolutely right that we all have things we are obsessive about but as you say we control it in that it doesn't 'take over' or have any real adverse impact on our daily lives or the lives of those around us.

I didn't think you were being flippant Maz and I didn't mean to be critical of anyones terminology :o I don't know that there is a name for all our individual little traits I think we all have our own little 'quirks' and that's what makes us who we are.

Apologies if I was being oversensitive, I must learn to think before I post xD

I think it raises a good point though, about terminology we use in everyday speak or flippantly against when it is used in its real sense. My dad has OCD. Sadly he wont take help which creates a whole new ball game. It is a completely devastating condition and effects all of us especially mum who lives with it daily. Just getting him out of the house can take hours, literally.

I think there's a little obsession in all of us really, although I have to say post counting has never been one of them for me! Maybe I missed out!

It's certainly very easy to think that we're really chatting on here. We feel like it's a real conversation and forget that what we could verbalise one way which would be part of a normal conversation can be taken a totally different way once it's written down and read.

Apologies if I was being oversensitive, I must learn to think before I post :o

I don't think you were being oversensitive at all - I think it was an interesting interjection. I wonder if there is any research into whether people with OCD showed repetitive patterns of behaviour all their lives?

So much research to do, so little time!

Maz

It's a very interesting theory. Does it start suddenly, or it is something that creeps up on people? I know I often go back into Preschool to check I've switched things off as I know I'll not relax properly when I get home unless I do. Is that the first signs - or will it get no worse - or is this 'normal'

It's a very interesting theory. Does it start suddenly, or it is something that creeps up on people? I know I often go back into Preschool to check I've switched things off as I know I'll not relax properly when I get home unless I do. Is that the first signs - or will it get no worse - or is this 'normal'

I am by no means any sort of expert and all cases of OCD are different even though they have similar traits. However, I think going back to preschool to check you have switched things off is perfectly within the realms of 'normality'. I do it too, I think we are so used to the daily routine things that we do them automatically without thinking - only later do we suddenly think 'oh did I..?' and the logical answer is to go back and check. But when you go back to preschool I bet you just nip back, pop in look to see whether whatever it is is switched off and then leave. It doesn't take you anything up to four hours to open the preschool door and you don't have to switch the 'thing' on and off 27 (or maybe 34, 92 or any other specific number) times and have to clean it with antibacterial wipes before you do so -

There are also 'levels' of OCD and some people can live and go about their daily lives without it having too much of an impact on them or others. Howver, (as in the case of my friend) others are so severely disabled ( and I don't use that term lightly) by OCD that life for them and their immediate family can be a living hell. My friend is perfectly sane, sensible, intelligent and highly qualified and she knows the OCD rituals she has to perform seem irrational to others and with her 'rational' head on she can see it too and we have had some seriously interesting discussions as I have tried to find ways (anything at all!) that I can do to help/support her. Yes she counts obsessively but only in relation to rituals she has to perform and it is heartbreaking to see. Hand washing is only one and may seem minor but it stems from a really deep rooted terror of being contaminated.

I personally think the difference between 'normal obsessive' and OCD is when the obsessions begin to impact on your quality of life and ability to function on a daily level. Going back to preschool on a particular day may be a nuiscance, perhaps you were on route somewhere else and suddenly remember not locking up/switching off at preschool so had to detour to go and check. That I see as just a 'usua' everyday kind of inconvenience we all face, the sort of 'what a pain in the neck but never mind'.

Of course I am just prattling and it's only my personal thoughts - others may have different stories/experiences/knowledge to share.

Of course I am just prattling and it's only my personal thoughts - others may have different stories/experiences/knowledge to share.

No - don't think that! It's really interesting, as well as being sad, that people become like this. For those of us who have no direct link with anyone who has it, we can only ever really just wonder. How debilitating it must be for the sufferer and their family we can only imagine.

No - don't think that! It's really interesting, as well as being sad, that people become like this. For those of us who have no direct link with anyone who has it, we can only ever really just wonder. How debilitating it must be for the sufferer and their family we can only imagine.

Thanks Cait

'Debilitating' is the word i was looking for!

I think perhaps it is hard for people around those who have OCD because though they witness the awful rituals they have to put themselves through and can see the physical damage (eg hands absolutely red raw and blleding but yet being washed and scrubbed for the umpteeth time) overall OCD isn't a physical disorder and understanding mental issues that drive sufferers to these rituals is soooo very hard :o It can be soul destroying, to see someone close who has tried and I mean really tried to get out of the house and gets up at silly o'clock to allow for rituals and yet 6 hours later admits defeat isn't dressed and doesn't go out, xD:( and yet so wants to!

I don't mean to cause concern, my friend has been diagnosed with extreme OCD and I am not suggested all sufferers are so debilitated by it

well funny as it is.... I havent been checking my post counter as much since I started this topic and it ws pointed out that not all posts count I think (without realising it) it was bugging me because I thought something was broke

funny I was reading Geraldines post about the specific number of times checking and it reminded me of the Jack Nicolas film "as good as it gets" (great film)

I think we are all alittle quirky about something if its not checking things it might be collecting stuff like all things with frogs on kittens pigs ladybirds....................or spending a freaky amount of time on internet forums

we're all unique in our own quirky ways