Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For Schema's

I have a observed a possible schematic interest in a little girl I look after (23mths) and was wondering if I could get some ideas of different things to provide to support.

She is constantly trying to fit/push objects inside things eg. filling up an owl babies puppet with toys, pushing things inside the train track tunnel

I'll get a variety of shape sorters out next time but if anybody has some creative ideas for resources, stories and songs to support they would be much appreciated :o

If she is developing her enclosure schema might she also be interested in building little dens and hiding in and under boxes, etc?

Bags to fill with 'shopping' or feely bag games.

Hiding and then finding small objects in playdough or sand.

Making discovery bottles.

The only story I can think of is Noah's Ark but there must be more than that surely?

Russian dolls, may be, the story My Cat likes boxes - I've never read it but it does appear on suitable lists of books and it sounds like it is a cat get into different boxes!! Graduated boxes that fit inside each other or build a tower. Do you have a marble run that she could put marbles in the top and watch them come down

Russian dolls,

Ikea!

Graduated boxes that fit inside each other or build a tower.

Ikea!

On a Sally Thomas training she talked about making your own 'shape sorter' which is basically a cardboard box with the top cut off, and then upended so the bottom is facing upwards. You cut several holes in the sides/top so that the child can poke whatever they want to into the box. Then you lift the box up to reveal all the things they've stuck inside, move the box to a different position and the game begins all over again!

For my EYP baby task I provided lots of bags, and purses, curtain rings and pine cones as well as some long cylinders (gift wrapping tubes), corks, small cardboard stacking boxes etc and one of the things the babies liked doing (apart from trying to get the things out of the purses) was putting the smaller items into the ends of the tubes and seeing where they went to. They seemed to find it immensely satisfying to keep putting a wooden block in one end, hearing it fall onto the floor, looking down the tube to see where it went, and then starting all over again. That may stray over to a trajectory schema I guess, but the interesting thing was watching them try to fit bigger items into the cylinder - a table tennis ball fitted but a wooden apple didn't!

Maz

I'm watching this thread with interest. I am going on schemas training in October time so that I can improve my knowledge and get them in to the planning :o

it's lovely to here the ideas... my baby son (14 months old) displays this schematic interest... keeping him occupied is easy with a cardboard box and various items but I do like to try something new so I will continue reading with interest :)

(charlie loves shape sorters, so the homemade one sounds great)

Thanks everybody for those great ideas

I love the idea of the cardboard box (thanks happymaz) and think she'll love it as it's the process of pushing something through something that she seems to be interested in (going through a boundary schema?) and is also discovering size and what fits and what doesnt, so would love the heuristic play items and tubes

She doesnt tend to go inside the den areas herself but i think she will really enjoy filling shopping bags and also she does wonderfully creative things with playdough - pushing lots of things inside so thought I would try clay next with chopsticks for making holes/tunnels for her to push things inside. (thanks alisonp)

She's quite 'heavyhanded' so I think russian dolls may be a little too challenging for her but will try the graduated boxes and I have the book 'cats like to hide in boxes' so will get that out too (thanks panders)

I love planning for schema's, I find it so interested and when you recognise and plan for a schema the children are often so engaged with what you've chosen and you can see the learning thats taking place so strikingly. it's fascinating to watch. I think you'll love the training samfrostie

this same lttle girl spent a long time a couple of weeks ago lifting the dolly highchair on to the sofa, climbing up and down herself to repeatedly push and fit a variety of randon items into the highchair and then balance cushions on top - it was fascinating and she's not even 2 yet. sadly when my daughters were young I probably would have prevented them doing things like that because "you can't play with the highchair on the sofa, you might fall off" and therefore would have stopped a learning opportunity from taking place

awww, charlie loves putting different textured ribbons into a steel bowl then mixing them with a whisk or his set of measuring spoons (they are joined together), he puts them in whisks... takes them out, puts them in again but developed this into imaginary tasting with the spoons and playing music. I've since given him a colander and wooden bowls with more textured strips of material, he can sit for half an hour adding his 'ingredients' and mixing.

so cool to watch and he's 14 months old.

Hi, I saw an article in Nursery World a while ago about treasure baskets planned around schema.

There was a basket on sale for children interested in enclosure. You could look at this to copy if it was too expensive to buy - can't remember how much it was! The site is called

www.earlyyearsplanning.co.uk Hope this is useful.

I don't know if you have seen this document before but we have it laminated on the wall and refer to it regularly for ideas:

Schemas

Edited by Guest
To remove attachment and add link

Thanks for sharing that LJW.......printing as I type......will be useful for staff......and will look good in my Planning File! :o

Understood from our EYAT that our LA were planning some training on schemas - but nothing on offer at the moment xD

disappointed about that........could clearly identify schematic play with all three of my grandchildren.......I find the subject fascinating......and would like to raise awareness with staff.

Thanks again

Sunnyday

Hi, I saw an article in Nursery World a while ago about treasure baskets planned around schema.

There was a basket on sale for children interested in enclosure. You could look at this to copy if it was too expensive to buy - can't remember how much it was! The site is called

www.earlyyearsplanning.co.uk Hope this is useful.

thanks very much gilldyson - will check that out

welcome to the forum :o

love that overview, emailing it out to the team as I type... exactly what a colleague and I were discussion prior to summer break. Thanks Carla

I don't know if you have seen this document before but we have it laminated on the wall and refer to it regularly for ideas:

thanks for that, looks great

That is really useful! Have had a read through as my son who is also 14 months has started showing a real interest in 'round and round'. Anything with wheels, particularly the buggy, he tries to upend and spin. My daughter lets him play with her toy buggies, and of course, he has cars, trains, boats all with wheels. He is also engrossed in the washing machine when it gets going, so will be interesting to introduce some different things and see where he goes with it.

We regularly copy the doc for our parents too, especially when they think their child is 'stuck' or they worry about repetitive behaviour. It's great for opening their eyes and giving them ideas on how to extend their children's learning at home.......... hmmm, can feel another parent workshop topic coming on!! It's good to share.

I too have a little one developing an interest for enclosure at the moment so this thread is really useful. thank you

also, thanks very much LJW, that document is really useful and I've emailed it over to work ready to print out in the morning.

Thank you!

LJW, thanks from me too for the overview. Yet another thing I have been intending to develop myself for a while but it was still on my long 'to do' list. It'll be on the wall of our baby room tomorrow morning as a reminder to staff when observing and planning.

Thank you

Gruffalo2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)