Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Case Study

has anyone got any tips on what to write supposed to submitting it shortly before starting the early years professional status validation process in september. any help given would be greatly received!

I'm a bit confused too!

I've never heard of a candidate needing to submit a child study before starting EYPS - is this a requirement of your provider?

Perhaps if you gave us the criteria we could offer a bit more specific advice!

Maz

hello my criteria is as follows

Child Study Guidance

The Child/Family Study is designed to enable candidates to develop an understanding of child development and should reflect the multi-agency approach within the 0-5 sector.

Candidates should decide upon a focus for the study and discuss this with the setting mentor* before embarking upon wider reading and internet research.

The child study should be regarded as a meaningful and valuable strategy for development.

Guidance

• Observe a chosen child in a wide range of and learning and social contexts (ensure permission is gained following setting procedures)

• The child must remain anonymous (refer throughout to ‘Child A’)

• Child A may have a special need (e.g. a physical disability or EAL), a special educational need (a learning difficulty) or may be Gifted or Talented, which could influence your research and the way in which you approach the study.

• Analyse the child’s needs and the setting’s meeting of those needs (this should not be a simplistic narrative of what the setting or child is doing)

• Include aspects such as SEN, EAL, parent/carer involvement and behaviour management (relate to the Standards)

• Identify specific Standards which are addressed through the child study (in the margin next to the relevant information in the text)

• Refer to literary sources where appropriate

Suggested Content

• Description of the child (age, position in family etc)

• Child’s special interests

• Outline of the child’s circumstances and needs

• Adults involved with the child

• Child’s interaction with different adults and his/her peers, within setting

• Implications for provision

• Setting provision to meet any specific needs and its rationale

• SEN policy

• Code of Practice (SEN/EAL/Special Need e.g. disability)

• The multi agency approach of work within the 0-5 sector

• Legal requirements (0-8 standards)

• Inclusion issues

• Your conclusions from your observations, supported by wider, relevant reading and research

• Literary source reference list

Word Count: 1500 – 3000 words

i feel a bit peeved that i have just completed a 2 year foundation degree topped up with a 1 year ba hons and none of this counts towards the eyps route!!! alot of my uni mates feel the same! thanks for any help given!

i feel a bit peeved that i have just completed a 2 year foundation degree topped up with a 1 year ba hons and none of this counts towards the eyps route!!! alot of my uni mates feel the same! thanks for any help given!

I can well understand that - who are you doing EYPS with? I think I would have felt quite insulted to have this additional hoop to go through before I even started on the pathway!

What kind of setting are you working in? Have you identified a child you can base your study on?

Maz

i have identified a child, the company is em direct based in grantham! to be honest after 3 years study i am losing the will to live and i need to focus. i work in a 8-6 nur sery term time. is it reallya necessary qualification to have as there isnt the pay incentive is there and no parity with qts status.

there isnt the pay incentive is there and no parity with qts status.

There may not be now but I think there are lots of us hoping that things may improve in the not too distant future (note that I said hoping, not expecting!).

You never know what may be around the corner and at least there is a good level of funding at the moment.

well i will be keeping my fingers crossed like you and hoping the government will wake up and take notice of the critical job that we do in the early years, unless the political landscape changes next year and then what happens hears to hoping that the funding continues to enable to be paid a little more than my colleagues at work!!!

You are welcome Justine I have had so much support from every one on here during my studies it's nice to return the favour. I did my EYPS with EM direct and act as a mentor for one of their long pathway students at the moment so hopefully will understand what they are looking for if you need anything else feel free to shout. Good luck

Edited by belle06

I did the short pathway with EM direct in Grantham! I had to do the child study but am surprised you have to do one if you are going straight to validation. I have been asked if my child study can be used as an example for new canditates in September, I'm hoping it is an example of a good child study and not one to show how not to do it, lol! I did find my child study fitted very nicely into one of my written tasks so although at the time I didn't feel there was much point in writing it, it was worth it in the end.

I'm now waiting to hear the results of my validation, probably late september. When they rang to see if they could use my child study my heart skipped a beat as I knew it was around this time I would be contacted if I had a shortfall!

If you need any help when you start, let me know!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)