Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Evacuation Procedure

Hello Everyone,

I need advise regarding fire drill and exit procedure. My nursery is not purpose built but converted house, we have the baby room U/S. Incase of fire starting U/S (God forbid) but it is better to be prepared, what sort of procedure should we have in place, all the door are fire doors. I would really appreciate sample procedure policy for those who have a similar type of nursery please :o I am due Ofsted and l know this might crop up. Thanks.

The best thing you can do it - have a fire drill and then make lots of notes about how it could be speeded up/improved, then do it again and see if it helps! You'll need to thnk about what you need to take out with you (contact details, phone) and who will be responsible for opening doors, lining children up, being last out having checked the building. You also need to consider where your 'safe place' will be - where you will congregate to wait for parents to collect the children in a real event.

Thanks for the reply. We have the procedure, the reason l am raising this topic is because Ofsted requested written information from a friend with a similar nursery as mine. They what her to write in, telling them in the event of fire starting u/s, how would the children be evacuated safely from the nursery. I am thinking the Fire Brigade will use their ladder to get staff and children down. :o

Does your local Fire Brigade offer visits to give advice about fire safety? Perhaps it would be worth getting them in to advise you on an escape plan.

I guess with babies upstairs you have an added problem: those baby evacuation cots are great but they don't cope with stairs very well do they?

Hopefully someone with an upstairs baby room will come up with some advice for you, Toro!

Maz

Does your local Fire Brigade offer visits to give advice about fire safety? Perhaps it would be worth getting them in to advise you on an escape plan.

I guess with babies upstairs you have an added problem: those baby evacuation cots are great but they don't cope with stairs very well do they?

Hopefully someone with an upstairs baby room will come up with some advice for you, Toro!

Maz

l called them, but no help there. All they can do is send in a guideline for general evacuation from a house :o

I'm a childminder and have children sleeping upstairs.

When I had my first ofsted inspection the inspecter suggested that I would throw mattresses out of the window and then put the children in duvet covers, tied together with sheets etc to make them longer and then let them out of the window in the duvet cuvers made into a sling.

I'm sure if this will help you but that will be my answer to ofsted if they ask me!

Obviously you may not have sheets and duvets so I guess you may have to keep some to hand if you are going down this route.

Good luck, let us know if you come up with anything else.

Jennie

I'm a childminder and have children sleeping upstairs.

When I had my first ofsted inspection the inspecter suggested that I would throw mattresses out of the window and then put the children in duvet covers, tied together with sheets etc to make them longer and then let them out of the window in the duvet cuvers made into a sling.

I'm just wondering how long that would take?

Edited by Cait

Hello Everyone,

I need advise regarding fire drill and exit procedure. My nursery is not purpose built but converted house, we have the baby room U/S. Incase of fire starting U/S (God forbid) but it is better to be prepared, what sort of procedure should we have in place, all the door are fire doors. I would really appreciate sample procedure policy for those who have a similar type of nursery please :o I am due Ofsted and l know this might crop up. Thanks.

That's tricky isn't it.......

We are on the first floor - but have 'concrete' stairs - usual stairs and fire escape stairs directly out of our room.

Your local borough council may have a 'fire safety officer' - ours does........

Have you asked your 'advisory team' for help?

Good luck

Sunnyday

Hmmmmm I have to say I'd not thought about the length of time cait. Because the inspector suggested it I took it that that's what I should do! I guess tho I'm different to Toro because I would only have a max of two children upstairs at anytime so wouldn't take as long. Plus I'd "buy a bit of time" by putting towels along the bottom of the door to keep the fire in a bit longer.

But let's be honest, if you're upstairs and the fire is blocking the stairs, unless you have a purpose built evacutaion staircase built there is not much else you can do short of getting the children out of the windows.

You can get rope ladders that you can hang out but with babies I'm wondering how practical that will be as you'd have to climb down the ladder with the babies which wont be easy and you could probably only do one at a time.

It has got me thinking though, as someone working alone what would I do if the children are upstairs sleeping and a fire breaks out on the landing so I can't get to them? Or if I'm upstairs with sleeping children (putting them down or getting them up from a sleep) leaving the other children downstairs. What would I do in the unlikely event that I get trapped up there with them, how would the other children get out?

Jennie

Now - you are only going to give yourself nightmares! Get lots of smoke detectors, don't put anything on the stairs - including pictures on the walls - and you'll buy yourself loads of time when a detector goes off. Change the batteries routinely, every term if you want - or better still get the electric ones - and do tests - I do mine on Monday mornings.

Don't panic about it! Be prepared is the Guiding motto, and if you are prepared then you are sorted!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)