Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rain Rain Go Away!

I am sitting here after taking my boys out today, cold, wet and feeling fed up with the miserable weather. Local roads are flooding and driving conditions are awful. Hard to believe it's the end of July! It's so much more expensive when the children are on holiday and the weather is bad.

Making pizzas for tea this afternoon - not reliant on good weather just yummy toppings!

I know JUST how you're feeling! xD

We've sought comfort in the kitchen, too - just waiting for the banana cake to cool so we can eat it :o

Nona

but - shouldn't we be out in all weathers? I've been trying to construct a rainproof den!

Actually fibbing - the sun's shining and I've just got the second washload out - jeans dry from this morning's load - but we had almost 3cms in the night!

Edited by Cait

Lucky you Cait! We had an almost rain free day yesterday but it didnt come with sunshine, just grey and windy. Did manage to get all washing dried though.While I dont mind being out in the rain, it would be nice to have a bit of sunshine occasionally.

I bought my boys a camoflage tarpaulin to use to make a den in the garden. Its on my 'to do' list which seems to be growing daily.

On the up side, the rain has certainly made everything grow so well in the garden - my veg patch is brimming with goodies. Trouble is its too wet to get out there and enjoy it. :o

It has been raining here non stop all day and although we need rain - I am quite fed up, I've closed my curtains now! It's so cold too, I put my fire on earlier for a bit!

Nevermind, it's supposed to be dry tomorrow and then off on my hols on Friday.

ppp

we have been baking too chocolate cakes and jam tarts. Bad weather going to make us all fat. spent the last 3 years wet and cold in the tent in this lovely country. Took the plunge and going to south of france on sunday for two weeks. dont want to make you jealous but it is 30 degrees and sunny. Mind you with our luck that could all change. First time i have been anywhere hot.

Off to Beamish tomorrow so I hope it's still fine!

Have a lovely day! Bring me back a stick of rock please!

Now.....am I imagining this......when I was a 'girl' (OK I know that's a long time ago) ...I'm sure that the school holidays were just wall to wall sunshine.......

Have a lovely day! Bring me back a stick of rock please!

Now.....am I imagining this......when I was a 'girl' (OK I know that's a long time ago) ...I'm sure that the school holidays were just wall to wall sunshine.......

Zebedee agrees with you!

Well you never know - he's from 'dahn sarf' originally you know!

Oooooohhh! :o

Just 'popped back' with a quick edit!!! Now......I've been thinking about this......I have never met anyone called Zebedee....how could I forget that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by sunnyday

Ahh Cait I had to read back through this thread to get the stick of rock reference. What was Beamish like - only ever seen it on the t.v. before, looks fascinating, did you go on the trams etc. Could you buy anything in the shops are they really museum pieces only.

Recognised the handwriting straight away - spent some time 'feeling' the envelope...does anyone else do that? Thought - goodness Cait has sent me a stick of dynamite..........she knows that is the only way to get me started on that SEF!!! :(:oxD

Ahh Cait I had to read back through this thread to get the stick of rock reference. What was Beamish like - only ever seen it on the t.v. before, looks fascinating, did you go on the trams etc. Could you buy anything in the shops are they really museum pieces only.

I got a stick of rock na na na na - you didn't na na na na na........ :o

Edited by sunnyday

Recognised the handwriting straight away - spent some time 'feeling' the envelope...does anyone else do that? Thought - goodness Cait has sent me a stick of dynamite..........she knows that is the only way to get me started on that SEF!!! :(:oxD

Now that's a thought - didn't see any for sale though ....

You need at least 4 hours to get round, and even then you might not see everything - it's a large site! There's a shop that sells modern goods, cuddly toys, mugs, sweeties and some pseudo old stuff - past times type of stuff.

There's a mine that you can go down into - with a hard hat, obviously, an old school building with the old desks, slates, etc and you can copy some work off the board or sit and do 'tables'. There's an old methodist chapel and an old street of houses with outside privvies. There's a railway yard by the mine, with wagons and hoppers and stuff and an engineering shed for the loco maintenance etc. Then there's 'home farm' with animals you can feed and touch etc, and then round to the railway station, a short stretch of track (no trains running though) with a nice footbridge, station building sheds and signal box. There's a town with an old Co-op shop, a sweetie shop - where they make stuff and you can watch and sample, and lots of other offices and stuff you can wander round. Further round there's Pockerley Manor with a small farm too and then there's a stretch of railway line you can ride along pulled by a replica of the original 'Puffing Billy'. Trams do a circuit both ways, every 20 mins and there's an old charabanc - type bus that goes between the mining village and the town.

All the old buildings are genuine, shops, houses, chapel, school etc, all dismantled from their original sites and rebuilt, and you can go into houses and shops and offices and have a good nosey. There's a lot of walking, so if you have a poorly ankle I'd leave it for a bit! :o

It's worthwhile, we enjoyed it.

Edited by Cait

Sounds like a great day out. I would love mooching about this sort of place. We have an open coal fire and when I go to the office to buy coal, it's like stepping back in a time machine. Only to the 40/50's but there is absolutely no consession to the current times, even the office has no computer etc. just an old manual typewriter. It is family run and I suppose there really is no need to up date anything.

Recently when Sainsbury's were celebrating their centenary there were lots of photographs up in our local store and I was reminded of how much I liked going in to our small Sainsburys as a child and watching the shop assistants patting the butter with wooden butter pats, weighing it and then wrapping it in greaseproof paper by eck, those were the days...

haha yeah! well sounds like this would be right up your street! lots of bars of carbolic soap ..........

quick edit to say that that wasn't intended as any sort of 'dig' - just that the smell of carbolic soap brings back floods of memories!

beamish website

Edited by Cait