Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Australia

Our Foundation topic for next term is 'Australia' Does anyone have any great ideas or suggestions for links etc?

I've noticed the around the world topic on FSF but none relate to Australia. I've thought of the obvious ones such as Aboriginasl art, animals, comparing our climate to Australia. I also thought in the sand area could create Ayres Rock using orange sand. Any other suggestion wiould be much appreciated.

Thanks you guys xx

Not sure if I'm misremembering from when I used this book a few years ago, but isn't The Wide-Mouthed Frog set in Australia?

When we looked at Australia we looked at Aboriginal cave paintings of hands - kind of stencilled - and other traditional aboriginal art. Also the story of What Made Tiddalik Laugh is set in Australia.

I'm going in September :o sorry to be picky but it is called Ularu now not Ayers Rock.

making boomerangs and digeredoo's?

I found, although I can't say where, some lovely examples of pictograms used by aborigines. I printed and laminated them for our mark making are so the children could see that writing wasn't always letters. Some of them "recognised" their names in them almost immediately. Will have a look and see if I can find them on the computer but you could try Google as that's probably how I found them originally.

But there's our Preschool's favourite song - to the tune of Frere Jacques

Cuddly Koalas, Cuddly Koalas (hug self)

Possums too, possums too (make 'goggles' with fingers - binocular-wise)

Wallabies and wombats, wallabies and wombats (stroke down back of right hand with left and then left with right)

Kangaroos, kangaroos (hands up to chest like 'bunny' and use either whole body to 'hop' or just upper part)

Wow you guys are quick with your great suggestions. Thanks loads for all the great ideas. Will be using them all. Glad you put me right aswell, with the new name for Ayres Rock.

Cheers guys x

Hi Holly35,

just tried googling for the pictograms, it sounds like a great idea in the mark making area, Googles proving to be difficult and not finding them. I'll keep searching...if you come across them I'll be really grateful if yoiu coiuld forward me the link.

Cheers Cait for the story suggestions aswell and that great song!!! We'll be loving that at school.

Forgot who wanted to know but i will be running the foundation unit, so this will be for Nursery and Reception

xx

Hi there,

We did Australia as part of our Geography week. We did paintings based on aboriginal art - the children did hand and footprints on a piece of A3 paper and then did finger painting spots around them. We also did this on the paint package as part of ICT. The children decorated their own boomerangs and didgeridoos whilst listening to some didergidoo music. We read Diary of a Wombat (then thought about the things we were good at, looked at Australian wildlife. As I was only teaching for half a day will see what else I can find from our planning. I know I incorporated food into the rest of the week but can't remember if there was some for Australia.

As part of the week, we also looked at North and South America, Europe and Asia too. Another school I worked in used explorers as a way into different countries and continents.

Good luck

Lx

I will have a search on my computer and send them to you later if I can find them. Can someone let me know if it is ok to post them as a resource if I can't find a reference to where I found them? Don't want to breach any rules!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)