Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feisty Old Lady

sunnyday

My mum is 87 and lives in 'sheltered accommodation'.....she is very happy there and has a far better social life than me! :o

She has just been telling me about tonights planned event - a 'quiz night' - I said "oh thats good mum you enjoy those",

Yes says mum but they haven't let us choose our own teams and now me and Vera have got to put up with Queenie and Daisy.

Oh, I say -what's the problem with that then?

Well says mum........Queenie is deaf and Daisy is thick!!!

MUM I said you shouldn't call people thick! Oh I don't care, she says, she is thick and we want to win this quiz that won't be happening with those two on the team, if I could do that 'texting thing' I could ask you some of the questions........

This really made me laugh - so I thought I would share it with you! xD

I hope that if I ever make 87 I have some of my mum's spirit!!!

Sunnyday

why can't she do the texting thing? My mum does, she's only 76 admittedly, but my Churchwarden often texts me and she's 88! Has she even got a mobile? Haha can just picture her tho with phone under the table and thick Daisy saying out loud 'Who is it you are texting now dear?'

xD:(:( Yes she has got a mobile! That's another story! :(

We really couldn't work out WHY she wanted one....she isn't 'mobile'.....she can't really 'get anywhere' without one of us to help her! Anyway she wanted a mobile so we got her one...to my knowledge she has never used it! Perhaps I should teach how to text......hmmm.....she rings me at least 3 times a day...can I cope with text messages too!!! :o :wacko:

I count my blessings daily...I still have her.....and she's still got all of her 'marbles'! ;)

Bless her - I'll let you know how the 'quiz night' goes!!! (Hope she's not too rude to Daisy!) xD :rolleyes: :unsure:

if she doesn't use it, she'll lose her credit - my mum found that out when my Dad died. She put his in the drawer for emergencies and when she went to use it it was 'closed'. She got a new sim and I managed to swap the £27 credit to new sim, thanks to O2

Mine too ,bless her she is 95, deaf as a post and talks loudly about family members who are sitting in the other room to us and can hear every word she says! She had a party recently and organised it with my help of course and insisted on paying for it all herself. I am one of 14 , she has 29 grandchildren, 17 great grand children who all attended with partners. She insisted on going around and speaking to everyone . My Mums speech " Without me none of you would be here!" She is right. I love her dearly.

smiles

Edited by Smiles

HAHAHA my Nan became deafish and thought that her, shall we say 'lower gas emissions' were silent - she couldn't hear them so assumed we couldn't either - a real scream, for our children who were then 6 and 9!

I count my blessings daily...I still have her.....and she's still got all of her 'marbles'! :o

Quite right, sunnyday - I've bored everyone to death on the subject of how I lost my mum in my teens, but my Dad was 78 last week. Although he's happy enough in himself, he suffered a sudden virus in his brain a couple of years ago and much of my old dad went with it. This affected his frontal lobes where the brain is responsible for planning and the control of impulse/urges.

So this is the cue for lots of inappropriate comments about the opposite sex - he seems to have turned into a Benny-Hill type dirty old man! If he were more agile, I swear he'd be chasing his elderly neighbours about! Mind you, he seems to relish this new reputation for being a bit of a cad - he reminds me a bit of that poem "when I am old I shall wear purple".

I hope when I'm in my 80s I'm having fun - and winning a few quizzes too!

Maz

Ageing is certainly no fun. My Dad got Parkinson's and 'disappeared' bit by bit. He wouldn't do his speech therapy so it became harder and harder to understand him - it tore me apart

So sorry to hear your dad has Parkinsons Cait. :(

My mum is 80 at the end of August, she is in warden assisted accomodation but fully self sufficient. She says she doesn't like using the 'shared lounge' because it's full of 'old' people.

I thought I might arrange a tandam sky dive for her 80th but then thought maybe not. :o (only because she doesn't like flying xD )

Last year I bought her an Ann Summers 'toy' for her birthday, she thought it was hilarious and embarrased my brother telling him about it. :(

My mum is great and still 'babysits' for us so me and hubby can get a 'night off' now and again. I laughed out loud when a few months ago our fostering agency said that she should really have an enhanced CRB. :(

Peggy

Thought you might like to know the latest........

My mum has ordered her Christmas Cards!!!

When I said to her "but mum, it's July"

She said "well I might not be here by Christmas"

Follow the logic in that! :oxD:(

BTW - quiz result 'not good'! :(

Sunnyday