Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Well Done Everyone!

JacquieL

As the year comes to an end for many of us it is a time when we feel exhausted, emotional and very sad to say goodbye to the children we love. Many of us are moving on as well, and have ambivalent feelings about that. Saying 'good-bye' is really hard, especially when we have had a happy time and made good relationships. Who knows what the future will bring? So let's think really positively here, and think of one wonderful thing you have done or achieved in the last year, give yourself a pat on the back and then go smiling on into the summer. :o

My Reception children sang "So Long, Farewell" of "The Sound of Music" to their younger friends at our school. They had mixed feelings, sadness because they had to leave my class, but joy to move forward to Grade 1... especially since I constantly told them how proud I felt of them. Two days before, they had a visit of 1 hr to the G1 teacher and her classroom. A couple of weeks before, I had asked them what would they like to do on that special hour with their next year's teacher and we wrote down a list. Then I gave it to her and she worked it out with them. They mutually loved it :o. Those who had any nostalgia of leaving my class, came back with a big smile and full of confidence that they will do well.

Oh, yes, when the parents came to get the reports, one of them told me that her child had loved it in my class and that I was "one of like one of the girls, one of their friends". My heart got so warm! Then another girl came in with a flower pot and her mum was speaking with her son's G3 teacher. My little one was holding her breath and blowing, not daring to look at me. I thought she was just a bit impatient, wanting to give the flower pot to me... but it was because she was holding up her tears! Oh! I had to hold myself and not start crying as well. I told her we would keep seeing each other next year and we would keep in touch. Days before, the parents had made a special collection to give me a basket full of presents, thanking me for such a great year. Then I was not strong enough and some tears escaped. It was a very special group.

Edited by SmileyPR

The most difficultly behaved girl I've ever had who has challenged me daily for 2 years burst into tears with 20 minutes to go because 'love you so much I don't want to leave you' :o she was one I was breathing a sigh of relief about passing on. A mother brought flowers at the end of the day 'these flowers are from me specifically for the support you gave me when things were tough' (child was distressed for a few weeks leaving mum making herself sick)

We had a trainning day on friday and the first 'task' was to list the successess of the year. It was great as a school to look back at the full year and remember successess we had forgotten.

I'm still in the yippee phase at finishing and looking forward to relaxing away with the family next week. I know from experince about August 20th the batteries will be recharged and I will be bursting to go again. September will mark 30 years so i keep shaking my head-where did it all go?

Edited by Guest

Hum... cannot edit my post. I meant "when the parents came to get the reports, one of them told me that her child had loved it in my class and that her daughter had said that I was "one of like one of the girls, one of their friends".

As a 'parent' this year (and not owner of a preschool setting) I wanted to show my appreciation to my 11 yr olds teacher;

1/ Because she included him in her class (an out of his yr group class)

2/ Because he's moving on to 'secondary' Special school

I searched the internet for a suitable poem for my 'home made' card and found this Creation of the Teacher, I'm not particularly religious but I found it really sums up how special teachers are, at the end I added that I had 'tears of pride' for the progress my son has made especially in confidence and self esteem. :(

The school has been exceptional in terms of inclusive practice and really bent over backwards to include my son in the Yr 6 leavers celebrations even though he's been in a yr 3 class all year. During the year the school even enabled him to go into Reception once a week to give him opportunities to explore the 'foundations of learning' which he had missed in his formative years. :(

I also gave each TA a little present and a home made card with the Unity poem in it.

A bunch of flowers for the headteacher and for my daughters teacher (who she will have again next year) I asked her 'flowers or alcohol? the grin said it all :o , so she got a bottle of wine and a CD of her doing 'folk dancing' with the class in their end of term show. xD

I wasn't very involved in my own sons schooling (he's 27 now) because I was busy forging my career in early years, so he and I missed out a lot. It's good to have the opportunity to be involved this time around with my Foster children. :(

Peggy

Hum... cannot edit my post. I meant "when the parents came to get the reports, one of them told me that her child had loved it in my class and that her daughter had said that I was "one of like one of the girls, one of their friends".

You should be able to edit your posts SmileyR, it needs to be done within 10 mins (I think) of posting. :o

Peggy

You can edit your post for up to an hour after you have posted it. If you want to make any changes after this time you can always contact one of the moderators who will be able to do it for you. :o

I searched the internet for a suitable poem for my 'home made' card and found this Creation of the Teacher, I'm not particularly religious but I found it really sums up how special teachers are, at the end I added that I had 'tears of pride' for the progress my son has made especially in confidence and self esteem. :o

golly that's quite powerful, isn't it