Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Question For All Eyfs Users!

Hi everyone, this is my first post, but i have to say that i have really enjoyed reading all comments posted on the forum. Some things have made me evalute my practice as a result.

The question is part of the dissertation i am currently struggling through.

Do you think that the implementation of the EYFS has raised the quality of your settings? If yes, please say why.

I look forward to your replies as i know there are some strong feelings out there!

I believe that the new style self evaluation has raised some improvement points at my setting, and at least provides me with a time frame (eg annually) to really think about the quality of the provision. However, I must say that we always delivered our service in a way that was very compatible with the EYFS, and hence it hasn't really raised standards in my setting. I think it would be interesting for Ofsted to consider publishing data on %'s of settings recieving inadequate, satisfactory, good and outstanding resulte pre and post EYFS to show if there have been any changes. My fear is that bad settings will continue to perform poorly under EYFS, and I would love to see Ofsted being tougher in closing poor provisions. You only have to read a number of inspection reports to see how many are breaching regulations, and the ongoing monitoring visits often show pretty poor improvement.

I think it is definitely raising standards in our setting.

The whole play based child initiated approach is quite different to what had been going on before, although I still have some reservations about the EYFS overall.

The free flow thing (which someone said is not actually in the EYFS anyway!) has been a big and positive change for us.

I do however think there are ridiculous demands on such a poorly paid workforce.

I also suspect they are doing a 'test run' just as in the early days of the national curriculum and we will see substantial changes over the next few years.

Yes. The EYFS has improved our setting by the plans being made individual for each child, we have gone full circle and the child is the center of PLAY based learning that interests them.

Hi

welcome to the forum

I believe that the eyfs has raised my standards in my setting , this was proved also in my last inspection back in march

ziller

Thanks to everyone for those replies.

Research has shown me that there appears to be real opposition from teachers at Steiner schools, who believe that children should explore shapes, colours etc with their own imagination and not with any direction from an adult and those who worry parents might think their child has to be using punctuation at 5!

Its interesting to collect all these thoughts a year on!

Does anyone think that the amount of paperwork has increased? If so, is that only through observations, as in my practice, or other?

Looking forward to your responses.

Actually I'd say it has dramatically decreased! I'm not spending all my holidays writing and printing out copious reams of planning etc. Observation paperwork remains the same - or possibly less as our observation-obsessed lady has toned it down considerably this year since I gave her some guidelines (a sticker on her notebook helped too!)

label attached if anyone's interested

i_want_to_record_this.doc

Welcome from me! Great thread, more ideas for Steve and his conference??

ps Does the sticker enable people to consider what and why they are observing then Cait?

That's the idea - it certainly made my member of staff think before sitting down to write pages of worthless stuff!

Hi Nichola,

Definately less paperwork with the way of planning, now it happens when it happens.

Don't think it has had much of an impact in the classroom, except for following the childrens interest more.

Jackie.

That's the idea - it certainly made my member of staff think before sitting down to write pages of worthless stuff!

You could incorporate it into your observation forms too! Love it Cait!

Maz

EYFS has definately raised standards of play and learning in our setting. We now have designated 'areas'

divided by partitions. The main hall stays quite tidy now with children knowing where different resources

should be kept. They move from 'area' to 'area' at their own free will which has greatly reduced them

running around the hall. As previously mentioned, paper work has decreased considerably as I don't have to

spend hours planning activity sheets over the weekend as key workers plan for individual children. The learning journeys

are also a pleasure to use and informative to both staff and parents.

dottyp :o

• 2 weeks later...
You could incorporate it into your observation forms too! Love it Cait!

Maz

brill, I'm printing it and taking it to staff meeting tommorow!!

thanks for those Cait, they are brilliant and already printed for my paper mountain of things to share with the setting when I start....they are going to love me aren't they lol :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)