Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet Issues

Guest heleng

Guest heleng

I work in Reception and we share a class space with Nursery too. Basically between Nursery and Reception we have several children with toileting issues.

For example, we have one who just goes wherever he feels like it, one that holds it and holds it so much that she 'leaks' all day, one who if you don't tell him every ten minutes to go just wets himself again and again and then several who also poo themselves as again they just don't bother to go to the toilet.

We have talked with each of them to find out if they are scared of anything- they all say no, we have put up posters and colourful pictures the children have made, we remind them to go at the start of every carpet session (every hour and a half) and before lunch/ play/ assembly/ snack etc, we have pictures of toilets around the classroom and we remind specific children when we see them but none of it seems to have made a difference. The last month has been particularly bad with one member of staff being tied up in the toilet with changing wet and/ or soiled children.

I know we only have a few days left but the same children will be returning next term apart from one who will actually be in Year 1. We will be getting in touch with the school nurse the first week back if it continues but had anyone got any ideas?

Visit this site: www.eric.org.uk for very useful advice on toileting problems.

Try a wonderful book called 'Everybody Poos' by I think Taro Gomi.

Devise some kind of rewards system to encourage them.

Hope that helps,

Sue.

I assume you have already spoken to the parents to find out how they are with toiletting at home.

We often find a sticker-type reward charts works quite well and these could always go between school and home if they are having the same problems at home.

Hi

One of our parents is a child psychologist. On some feedback she has suggested that we have some type of object that a child can give to an adult if they need help in the toilet but are too shy to ask.

I thought I might just have a photo of the toilet laminated with 'please help me' on it. (another job for the holidays). This may help but lets hope things improve in the holidays for these children.

Thanks

Staff member "I'm afraid we are all out of spare clothes today, could you bring back the ones we have already given to you and can you please bring in some spare clothes from home"

Parent "Yes of course, you know she has been toilet trained for a long time at home"

Staff member then comes to me to tell me that they over heard Dad telling the child that they would put her nappy on as they were not going straight home!!!! The staff then tell me that the child says she sometimes has her nappy but usually has the potty in the living room and doesnt ever use the toilet!!!

I say good luck to the nursery class that this child is going to in September, we have written a plan for home and us, she will be going to a nursery in a school and I don't hink it will go down very well! But when parents don't share what can you do?? We have mentioned this in our transition report but parents havent signed and retuned it!

Staff member "I'm afraid we are all out of spare clothes today, could you bring back the ones we have already given to you and can you please bring in some spare clothes from home"

Parent "Yes of course, you know she has been toilet trained for a long time at home"

Staff member then comes to me to tell me that they over heard Dad telling the child that they would put her nappy on as they were not going straight home!!!! The staff then tell me that the child says she sometimes has her nappy but usually has the potty in the living room and doesnt ever use the toilet!!!

I say good luck to the nursery class that this child is going to in September, we have written a plan for home and us, she will be going to a nursery in a school and I don't hink it will go down very well! But when parents don't share what can you do?? We have mentioned this in our transition report but parents havent signed and retuned it!

An option, for a future occasion, is that they have to sign it in front of you before they can take the report home.

I appreciate that this is really frustrating for practitioners, but please be aware that some children have incontinence problems that are not to do with toilet training issues. I know some parents are just being lazy about it, but that is not always the cause.

Please do have a look at the eric website, it's easy to dismiss this as the parents fault but that isn't always the full picture.

Hi Suzie,

Thanks for the link you gave up here. Indeed, not all cases are because of laziness, and those tips will be useful. I found a page, there, which had pamphlets one can download for free.

Anyway, it is good that in cases like Wendles to keep prove that something has been spoken about, that parents need to be honest about what is happening outside of school. Only then can parents and school members can work like a team in benefit of the child :o

An option, for a future occasion, is that they have to sign it in front of you before they can take the report home.

I quite agree but I left it to a senior member of staff and that was the result, however I must accept this as I can't do everything myself! They weren't even meant to take it home it is to be sent to school as it is a transition record.

I also agree that there are many reasons for children not to be toilet trained but I would rather the parents were honest about this as it makes it easier on everyone especially the child who has to be changed 5 times a day, we have the facilities to change nappies and are quite happy to accept children to pre-school who are not toilet trained, I don't think her nursery school will be quite so happy

I can't help with the questions asked, but thought I would share. I am sending 2 children from preschool to Primary School still in nappies, it has never happened before!!! :o

I have one boy going to school from our pre-school, but this is odd - he wears pull ups, he has never had a problem using our potties or toilets and we have never had to assist him I do hope his parents put him in pants when he goes to school!

Guest heleng

Thank you for the replies so far. I will look at the site over the summer that has been mentioned. We do realise that there can be underlying issues and we aren't blaming the parents but it does tie up a member of staff for quite a significant period of time every session and we are also in the position where we have to keep asking for clothes to be bought back as we have no spare clothes left. It also means we have wet patches around the class that have to be sanitised and in this hot waether it smells terribly.

We have tried reward systems and some of the children have the same issues at home- we have talked to all the parents and some are honest, open and supportive but others don't appear to be willing to take any responsibility or to want to help. A couple of the parents say they are dry/ clean at home but the children tell us differently. It would be a lot easier if the parents were honest about it and then we could all work together to help the children.

I have worked in early years for over 35 years and I have seen a huge change in toilet training issues. I am fully aware that some (very few) have medical reasons but for what it's worth I feel that disposable nappies are part of the cause. Parents are told, by the manufacturers, about these fantastic nappies which keep their baby/toddler dry for hours. Fantastic but if a child never feels wet and uncomfortable in their nappy what is the point of using the toilet. Both nappies and pullups allow the toddler to enjoy everything without having to break off and answer a call of nature.

Both my boys were dry day and night by the age of 15 months. No battles, tantrums or tears just very happy little boys delighted to wear pants.

Working in a variety of settings I find it amazing that some children (age 4) are put in nappies,by their parents, just to poo.

Off my soapbox now! :o

ok, just coming in for a few comments here...

must agree about the nappies today, if a child never feels wet they do not realise what they are doing.. I have had a few parents who put their child in underpants under the nappy so they felt wet !

second - to remove the smell of puddles in carpets would recommend looking in a pet shop for a smell neutraliser used when puppies do the same on carpet... I know doesn't sound good, but is does work on any urine not just dogs, and does not cost much. we used it with great effect...

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)