Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Facebook, Staff Comments

HI,

well stupidly i added some of my staff to my friends on facebook, so i can see their profile and they can see mine... sometimes i bloody hate it....

so far i have seen boobs that i did not want to see, drunken photos (okay okay, i know most of them are young and what they do in their own time is up to them, but seeing my senior staff members boobs makes me cringe)...

anyhow tonight one of the staff has put a comment up that is clearly related to her day at work and affects another staff member (who happens to be my sister) , comment along the lines of "what a day, can't do right for doing wrong". to which others from work have added comments, i feel when Claire (my sister reads it) she will feel like rubbish because the gist of the conversations insinuate it is all Claire's fault... i do not know who's fault it is, but indeed both staff in the room are adults and should not sort their differences via facebook....

hmmmm, can i ban them from using it LOL.... or maybe i should just remove them all from my friends list so i can't read their comments any more..

Dawn

I have this with parents and staff, I created a separate list so they can only see minimal stuff of mine! Have come across someone from another setting who put things up they should not have - naughty - they seem to forget anyone can see what they write - doh!

personally don't think you could ban something if it is their own time..

that said.. could it be seen as breach of confidentiality, or unprofessional conduct, where perhaps they need to be reminded of their status as a professional and that anyone can read it

I too have different lists and can only see what I want to see... or else remove those who offend me...

on another view , now you know how they feel/ what they think..

Inge

We have an internet policy which makes our stand clear. We also require staff to remove friends who subsequently become parents, or not to make parents friends while their child(ren) attend the setting. Recently I have had to remove a friend (which we have expected from all staff who had her as a friend) who used to be a colleague when her child started at the nursery, although I did explain why.

I agree, though, you can't ban them from using Facebook - just remind them of professionalism. However, if you keep them as friends you are aware of anything that may be a breach of confidentiality and can do something about that.

Sue

Everything I hear about facebook makes me hate it. I do have staff members that use it and I cringe when I hear them talking about it - as I have never seen the darn thing I can't really pass comment other than it seems to upset a lot of people and causes trouble.

Everything I hear about facebook makes me hate it. I do have staff members that use it and I cringe when I hear them talking about it - as I have never seen the darn thing I can't really pass comment other than it seems to upset a lot of people and causes trouble.

Maybe it's just me but not any of our parents have asked me to be friends : ( but staff have, I have declined nad said I didnt think it was appropriate at the moment, when they leave and we want to keep in touch then that is different. I am however friends with my boss and she pulled me up for moaning about my day when anyone could see it, so now I just need to be be clever when I moan!!! A friend of mine who is manager says she is friends so she can keep an eye on her staff but I dont need to knwo what my staff get up to in their personal life as long as it doesnt affect their work.

Edited by Guest

I'll second that Panders! :o

I had a very similar situation recently when a member of staff put something in her status related to work for all to see, and those in the know (parents/otehr staff) would and did know what and who she was referring to. I pulle dher up on it on the basis of not acting professionally in the wider community as per her job description. She has now blocked me so I won't know if she does it again.

facebook just causes agro all the time,lots of comments from people who would never say them to their face!!!!! as you can tell i hate it.

I had a colleague who, sadly enough, would keep track of all the staff and then go gossiping about these things. She would criticise something and then end up doing the same! So, to get the stress off of being 'watched' by someone with that attitude, I just deleted everyone from school. I have never added parents nor actual students. I do have 2 students that are now in the university :o. Time passes by so fast!

I think that there are serious issues with staff making derogatory comments on Facebook etc. about their workplace, colleagues, children or parents. Anything which brings a setting into disrepute is out of order, and perhaps that is something that needs to be spelt out to all staff. Nothing published on the web is truly private is it? I know that people who have made comments on sites like the TES forums have been 'found out' and subject to disciplinary action, and in one case the member of staff was dismissed.

My family generated a family facebook years ago, I dont put anything on it. I do log on occasionally and giggle at the photos,of my grown up children and their friends! Oh and once found out my son was contemplating a tattoo!! Luckily it didn't happen.

Whilst at uni we were advised on correct protocol and told to report any student discussing staff. My daughter wants me to use it more but I steer clear, this forum is soo much better!! :o

I think that there are serious issues with staff making derogatory comments on Facebook etc. about their workplace, colleagues, children or parents. Anything which brings a setting into disrepute is out of order, and perhaps that is something that needs to be spelt out to all staff. Nothing published on the web is truly private is it? I know that people who have made comments on sites like the TES forums have been 'found out' and subject to disciplinary action, and in one case the member of staff was dismissed.

I totally agree with you! Even if no one from my school would have access to my page, it would not be nice of me ventilating professional things that might even be a matter of a hot moment.

My husband has a cousin that works with the Belgian state and it is PROHIBITED for them to use Facebook or any other social networks, especially to be tagged in any photos or videos.

• 1 month later...

I have a facebook account, and most of my staff and some parents (who are old school friends) are on there. we have taken all staff to one side at induction and explained that parents must not be added as friends unless they are actually friends outside of work and that confidentiality extends to discussing anything about their job in or outside of work, which includes other staff. and that they must be very careful that their moans and rants do not conclude in comments which may be perceived as bullying if the other persons involved take offence.

I suppose its the same as in school, schools are responsible for the behaviour of their pupils towards each other when out of school if they are in uniform, so i think we have a responsibility to remind staff that their conduct is on public display on facebook/bebo etc. and if they choose to bring their working day into it, then we have a responsibility to look into it.

My staff have been excellent, they may have their differences and bad days, but they have respected whats been asked of them in this way.

Ali :o

i have a facebook and only if i ad you as a fiend can you get anymore info than my name because its so handy to keep in touch with all my friends and family around the world, however i use it every few weeks becase i am so hooked on this forum, i find myself thinking oooo wonder what the new hot topic is today!