Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Very Sad

Jo jo

Just been watching the news! I am saddened and shocked by the number of soliders we have lost this week in Afganistan! My thoughts are with their friends and families. What a sad day for Britain. We owe so much to our service men and women!

Actually its something I can't bear to think about in too much detail. We ask far too much of our armed forces, for too little reward and what's worse is that we can't even seem to resource their work properly.

Maz

I don't read papers or watch the news so don't know current news details but certainly agree that our armed forces deserve so much more than they are getting, and that the lack of this support and resources is costing lives. I dread the day (if it hasn't come already) that these lives just become statistics. My heart goes out to the families and to the soldiers who have to carry on following the loss of comrades.

I am selfishly thankful that my son returned home from the war, safe and sound at the beginning of June.

Peggy

it is very sad and brings it home to you - especially as i heard last night that the one poor chap from the 4th battalion of rifles was a friend of my best friend!!!!!! - he had only been sent out there 3 weeks ago and only joined up 6 months ago! devestating!

Very sad indeed. I remember when my nephew was involved in recent conflict, your heart did a little lurch everytime there was news of a soldier being killed, thankfully my nephew came home.

Tragic loss of life.

I agree Jo Jo, this week has been devastating for so many families. I don't watch the news often but have a couple of times this week and heard reports about the fight in Afghanistan. I cannot imagine walking mile after mile not knowing if your next step is going to trigger a land mine or explosive device. These men and women are so brave and deserve so much more than they get. mrsW.

One of the news channels showed pictures of all 184 of the soldiers who have died. So young and so beautiful. Its dreadful. xD

Someone on the news last week said its not even about Afghanistan, everyone knows that Pakistan is where the danger spots are, the religious schools breeding extremism and training these people to fight.

I do question why they are there but never, as the media used to suggest, would I not support the troops out there.

So glad for you Peggy that your son is safe :o

I agree it's terribly sad and my heart goes out to the families involved.

I would also like to say how wonderful I think the people of wooton bassett are. I was reading today how the armed forces notify the local British Legion when those killed in action are due to be flown home. The Legion in turn contacts locals so they know in advance when hearses will be passing through. The church bells are rung and everyone stops what they are doing to pay their respects.

How sad it is that having stood to pay respects to a fleet of hearses yesterday they are already planning to do so again next week :oxD:(:(:(

Guest MaryEMac

I agree with all the above statements. One of my 'old boys' is there at the moment and I dread it when the young people are named in case it is him.

Mary

Yes the people of Wootten Bassett are wonderful for the respect they show the fallen when they come home. I work at the hospital they bring the bodies to and the local legion here turn out in force, there were 200 yesterday. I asked the legion secretary to phone me when they are due, they do and I go and pay my own respects. It's all very sad; our troops are wonderful and I speak from experience (WRAF for 9 years and military wife for 25 years!)

I too have forces links from the past, and feel for them , thankful that we are all together safely, friends of ours are always there in Wootten Bassett, thankful they too returned safely from previous conflicts.

Peggy , good to know he is back safely..

Inge

Thank you Rea and Inge.

As well as the families my thoughts are also with all the soldiers who come home having lost comrades, they can go through immense emotional trauma and grief, often questioning of themselves whether they could have prevented the loss, when of course they couldn't.

Peggy

Tragic for all the families and friends of our brave servicemen and women.

I'm sure this post has tugged at the hearts of those with loved ones on active service and lots of others, too.

I hope our thoughts and good wishes can be passed on to them - so often they say in interviews that they feel forgotten. We took our 14 year old daughter to the National Memorial Arboreteum in May. The Armed Forces Memorial is AWESOME, we all shed tears and she talked about it to everyone she met for weeks afterwards and has asked to go back during the summer holidays.

If ever you get the chance to visit please do - it's such an important thing for our young people to learn about.

Nona

There are 8 being brought home tomorrow, 3 of which, I think were only 18; same age as my son. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it