Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Portrait Ideas

Hi everyone,

In preparation for September, the children have to create a self portrait of themselves to go on display in their new classrooms. Does anyone have any exciting/creative ways of doing this rather than just using paint, oil pastels etc.? I am totally stuck!!!

Tinky x

Collage???

Tissue paper in skin tone colours - torn into small pieces - wool or raffia or something similar for hair - could still use paint for facial features.........

Probably no help at all - but I tried! :o

Sunnyday

my daughter painted hers when she was at school but what I thought was a fab idea was they gave them a mirror so they could see themselves while they painted! the results were amazing!

my daughter wears glasses and she forgot about them when she was painting and her teacher came over and asked if she was happy with her portrait or if there was anything she had forgotten or wanted to change and she looked in the mirror and said "oh i forgot about my glasses!!!"

xx

Of course Tinky it depends on how you are going to display these portraits - you might be able to 3d them by children traditionally painting themselves on one sheet of paper and then have a backing piece of paper stuck or stapled to the portrait and stuff the pocket it makes with newspaper.

We have used whole sheets of tissue paper stuck to paper plates before, it gives quite a nice even texture/look to the finished product and then collaged features on top of that.

How about using photographs of the children's faces - which you then enlarge on photocopier to proper size they could cut them into say, 5 or 6 pieces and when sticking them down on to paper slightly set the pieces apart so it looks like an explosion. Or, use the photocopies of their heads and then get them to paint on their bodies - sort of slightly cartoon like or as something they would like to be when they grow up.

Hi there

I've made paper mache self portraits of the class before using paper mache moulded around ballons. The children them painted their faces on & added wool for hair, they worked really well. I used garden wire to display them

I do have a photo but can get it ti attache at the mo' I'll try later.

Nicky

My son did a great one using bits torn from magazines - we still have it somewhere - he found eyes same colour as his and some brown which he tore up for hair and a nose, lips etc and made a collage/montage which looks really good. It doesn't look really like him - in fact if I'm honest I'd have to say there's more of a resemblance to Tony Blair, but a painting sometimes doesn't look much like them either!

I have used textured wall paper before in various shaeds of colour

Tissue paper works as does felt in past years

HTH

Vicky

An alternative mirror portrait is to give the children a mirror tile and they paint over their reflection. They print off the mirror and the results are spectacular. Although it is using paint the children who oftern avoided painting activities, were very keen to participate and extremely proud of the end result. :o

An alternative mirror portrait is to give the children a mirror tile and they paint over their reflection. They print off the mirror and the results are spectacular. Although it is using paint the children who oftern avoided painting activities, were very keen to participate and extremely proud of the end result. :o

Oh ...that sounds like fun!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)