Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Storing Photos

I am sorting photos of outdoor environments - they dont have children on them!

I have never copied photos from my computer to a cd before and just need to ask a question.

I have copied them all and then a balloon came up on comp saying I had files that needed to be written onto cd. When I clicked on to write them it said there isnt enough space. I have re inserted the disc and checked if my photos are there - they are so why do i need to write them and why is there not enough room? Thanks

why do i need to write them and why is there not enough room? Thanks

Sounds like a query for our resident technical support department! Over to you, Cait!

Maz

I am no techno whizz but the balloon does sometims come up to prompt you/ remind you that you have files that you copied to put onto a disc.

I think the copying happens first and then if you go to write them to disc and it says there isn't enough space, maybe there isn't!!

Photos take up large amounts of space nowadays because they are quite large files.

If you highlight all the photos it usually says at the bottom of the screen how many items there are and how many MB/ GB of space they need.

However if they have indeed already written to disc.......... because you said you put the disc in and they are there........... just forget it!!!!!!!!!

Or turn the computer off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Thats my answer to all computer probs!!)

It does sound as if you've managed it. The balloon comes up to warn you that you have files waiting to be written automatically and they need to be 'set' so that they can be read in other computers sometimes.

It may be that not all of the pictures have been transferred to disk, but as computers use a totally random sorting method, it won't be easy to spot which you have got, and which you haven't. It's possible to see if you've got them all by looking at the total file size against the original, but it doesn't help to identify the missing ones.

I very rarely put pictures onto CDs these days. I use pendrives and external hard drives to back things up. Having said that, I suppose I'll be doing it this week, when I do the photo disks for 'leavers' parents!

I use NTI CD and DVD maker these days anyway, as you can see before you burn the CD if the files will all fit

Thanks for all your help. I have previously had them all on a pen drive but we have now told not to use them anymore because of problems with viruses. We have now been told its a disciplinary matter if anyone if found using their pen drive. This is difficult to sort out my life without a pen drive.

Hiya,

Firstly I am not Sarah_S I am her husband - but I am a computer programmer, and I was just browsing the forum looking for ideas for programs to write when I saw this topic. Enough background - the answer...

The CD probably will not be big enough to store all your photos; your pendrive may be 16Gigabytes and a CD will probably be less than 1/16th of that (800 Megabytes roughly).

When you drag and drop or copy the photos to your CD drive Windows will try to put them all on the disk, but when it looks at the CD it realises there's not enough space but will fit as many as it can on anyway.

Once it has written all it can, then it will "close" the disk, and depending on the set up of your machine may ask you to put another CD in to finish the job.

It sounds like some (most?) of your photos were written to the CD, but just be careful that you don't delete the originals until you are sure that they have all been stored on the CD.

If you open Windows explorer (press and hold the windows key on the keyboard (between the Ctrl and Alt button at the bottom left) and press "E" once - or open "my computer" from the Start menu) you will see your CD drive listed. Click on it, and it will show you all the files ready to be written to your CD. Click the right mouse button on the white space between the photos and the menu that pops up will give you the option to write the files or delete the temporary files.

Deleting the temporary files will mean you will no longer get the reminder that there are files waiting to be written to CD - which can become annoying after a while! Deleting the temporary files DOES NOT mean that the original photos will be deleted.

Hope that helps in some way - post back with any more questions or if it's not clear.

Sorry to be quite so verbose!

Matt

PS anyone want a program writing? - just looking for ideas.... :o

PS anyone want a program writing? - just looking for ideas.... xD

yes please: can you write me some software to insert into my brain that will get my to do list finished and will anticipate all my future to do lists and get the jobs done before I realise they need doing? :o

Maz

yes please: can you write me some software to insert into my brain that will get my to do list finished and will anticipate all my future to do lists and get the jobs done before I realise they need doing? :o

Maz

Oh yes I would pay good money for one of those too! xD

Sunnyday

Maz

The software isn't simple and would you trust me with the brain surgery?

Thanks Matt - just another question - why do you have to write them onto the CD. I have put cd bak in computer and photos are still on - is it if I want to put them onto tv through dvd or put cd in another computer that will only be able to access photos if they written. Sorry if this is a very basic question.

Thanks Matt - just another question - why do you have to write them onto the CD. I have put cd bak in computer and photos are still on - is it if I want to put them onto tv through dvd or put cd in another computer that will only be able to access photos if they written. Sorry if this is a very basic question.

It's main;y because you may be looking at them on other computers in the future - it makes them more readable for a variety of formats that's all

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)