Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Im So Gutted!

well after hearing the news yesterday at 330 pm that our nursery is losing business ie with no children coming in and 12 preschoolers leaving that our hours were cut.well today found out at 530 i was to be made redunant obviously being in pre-school with less staff needed.i got old today was my last day.cant believe never got to say goodbye to the children.i get one weeks pay.monday i had no clue,bad times were hitting and now im sat here redundant guna miss the children soooooooooo much!!!im gutted!!!what can i do though!!!!

I am so sorry to hear your news.

I thought there were laws re notice about redundancy.

Are you in a union?

If not speak to your local CRB.

I can't believe that this is allowed.

Don't give up too soon. Look into it. You may not get your job back but perhaps they can pay you the 12 weeks notice I thought you had to be given to be made redundant!

Sorry to hear your news :o

I know how awful it feels to be made redundent! I got made redundent from my first job as they had lost a big contract and I was surplus to requirements.

While its hard to get your head around it, think about how you can overcome it and try to do something positive. This is what my parents done for me and by Monday I was in the job centre looking for work and also putting my CV into places where I would be happy to work. Fortunately for me, I had a new job within 2 weeks. I appreciate that this may not happen these days because of the current financial climate.

It is a pity that you did not get the chance to say goodbye to the children, but you should feel proud and hopefully comforted by the fact that you supported them in their various stages of development.

The only thing I would question is - how long have you been employed at this setting? It has been quite some time since I worked in PAYE and administration, but from what I remember every employee has rights, of which certain conditions must be met once the employee has been on the payroll over a certain period of time e.g. a year. I'm sure someone will come along who can give you more detail regarding this.

gosh, so sorry to hear of your terrible news.

can they give you such short notice?

Unfortunately I think they still can! Its called pay in leiu of notice, its what I got all those years ago! I was the last one in, so the first one out. I remember meeting my then boss's private secretary a short time afterwards. She told me the reason why I got paid in leiu of notice was because my then boss couldnt bear the thought of seeing his staff upset or resentful. He felt bad enough having to pay people off without having to watch them dragging themselves into a job they knew they would lose at the end of the week!

Quick Edit - I have just spoken to my hubby who is usually very informed on these kinds of things. He says that it is usually 1 weeks redudancy for each year worked. Feel free to correct me (or hubby) if I am wrong.

Edited by Guest

I'm so sorry to hear that Maria. But I just had a quick look on the web ( On this site ) and I found this

How much notice must I be given?

If the employment contract specifies a particular period of notice, then you must be given that period of notice.

If the contract doesn’t deal with notice, then you must be given a "reasonable" period of notice. What is reasonable will depend on the particular circumstances.

So I'd check your contract if I were you.

And I think there are many factors that come under your circumstances. For you personally, you're suddenly out of a job, no money etc.

But also it affects the children - they haven't been prepared for your leaving, and that could potentially be quite tricky for children who are especially close to you.

You should definately look into it, good luck

Mrs Weasley x

Mummyspud - you're only entitled to Redundancy pay if you've been working constantly for more than 2 years.[/quote

Thank you Mrs Weasley. I could have sworn I had typed something about that.

Edited by Guest

thanks guys!! yeh i prob dont have any rights as i was only there 9 months!!just was so gutting not to say goodbye to the kids.i only started at 1pm today n they all ran up saying they missed me and all going to miss them but will have to get on the jobsearch again.is just so gutting but life goes on!!

Awful shock for you, so sorry to hear about this. I cannot imagine not being able to say goodbye to the children. My husband has been made redundant twice, so I can empathise. The first time it affected our accommodation too as we were living in tied accommodation on a farm, this is rather unsettling!

Once you are over the shock, I hope you can pick yourself up and be pro-active in getting another job very soon. I hope you will be able to look back on this eventually as a positive thing, I know we did.

Good luck.

its ok it d kids i feel sorry 4 like losing 2 full time members of staff obviously me and 2 weeks ago lost the other 2 baby room!!the other girl just off maternity and a trainee from another room so they have been attached to me over last few months but i know life goes on im sure they will do fantastically i wil miss them but im going to think of the good times i have had over the past 9 months.i hate being jobless i mite go and volunteer in a nursery or school 4 a bit to keep my hand in thankyou guys!!!x

Very sorry to hear your news. Just wanted to wish you luck in the search for another job.

Good for you to want to volunteer in another setting or school until you get a job.....very positive attitude to take.

Hope you don't have to wait too long! :o

yes got to stop feeling sorry and look 2 the future!!so will go on volunteering!! doi just ring up i know locsal schools close soon though thanks for support hope 2 find something soon even if agency!!!

Hi sorry to hear yours news, i would be gutted to not being able say proper goodbye ,i feel working with children you should be able to .Good luck with getting new job.

Yes volunteering at local schools is a good idea - get in touch with some now and you'll be in place by september! Also it might be worth ringing some all-year-round nurseries to see if they need additional staff over the summer break as they may have staff who want time off to be with their own children

Wishing you all the best and good luck from me too. I would recommend popping into your local settings with your CV, my daughter got summer work through the hols like Cait suggested. Leave on good terms, and ask for a reference to take with you.

hang in there

well im a lot more positive today so thanks!!!was so sad just the shock of it and not knowing i was like saying to the children as they went home see you tomorrow!!then to be told at 530 i wouldnt be there the next day.but yes im going to sort my Cv out and think of this as a positive thing!!!

Guest MaryEMac

Sorry to hear your news. It's good that you are feeling positive. Hope that a job turns up soon.

Mary

thanks.ben told they sent a letter out to the parents about my redundancy.apparently they were very upset and a few were almost crying which although upsets me gives me faith that i did a good job.now into the future the job centre today grrrrrrr

does anyone no where the sun went he s/he was here the other day lol!!