Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Taking The Register

Hi all

I'm new to this forum and would just like to ask how you do the register?

At present my Reception children self-register by taking their name from the door and pegging onto a washing line when they arrive at school. They then go outside until the bell rings for the start of school and then come in and I take the register formally! I've just realised what a waste of time this is and really the children only need to self-register and I can input the data on the computer.

However, I do quite like doing the register. We have learnt how to answer in sign language and we sing our "Good Mornings". In the afternoon session we do it in different languages. It is also an opportunity for the children to share their news.

What do you do?

Carrots x

We are in the nursery, the children have tags on their pegs which they post as they come into class, we are always at the door so we know who has arrived and can do a quick check by looking at the tags left in the cloakroom, then we fill the register in as the children play. We sometimes do the singing when we gather on the carpet but that isnt until 11.15. Some of our children now like to have their own 'register' so they sit with us as we fill ours in, they even go over to the secretary and have theirs signed by her! In reception the children come in and they do the register together in their class groups ( 2 classes and 2 class teachers in one large classroom).

Cath

Our children self-register when they first come in and then get busy with activities which gives me chance to see any parents that want to talk or settle in any child that might have a problem for example. About 10 to 15 minutes later I give a signal (a shake of a tambourine) and they all come to the carpet. We then do the dinner register, let children show anything they have brought in and then, as long as we haven't been sitting too long, we have a 'literacy' or phonics session for 10 minutes. After this the children can either return to their original activities or go to new ones, most CI. This has worked very well all year.

My class self register when they come in but then I do the register formally at 9.05.

To be honest as a safe guarding issue I like to do a formal register, just in case anyone has 'helpfully' picked up another child's name card etc Obviously I'm watching who is coming in and doing head counts, but for me the formal register makes sure I know exactly who is in, and who isn't. To make it educational the children answer telling me the something beginning with d or a colour etc.

We are a private pre-school setting. The children are marked into the register at the door as they arrive and the time they arrive is also recorded. The children then register themselves as they enter the hall with their own names and put them into a box before going off to choose which ever activity they want to do.

Obviously you must take the register and I wouldn't rely upon the children self-registering as some often forget or some put the wrong names in etc. I would have thought that registration time on the carpet in most reception classes is a lovely time to gather the children together and sign and talk and pass on news to each other.

Personally, I like the formal reception registration time and found it difficult to sort myself into any other sort of routine but it may well depend on the school and the ethos as to what happens and how.

Although the children self-register, I also fill in the formal register when I do the dinner register. All children have to answer the dinner register so I know who is present through that but we don't have to go through answering all their names twice!

My children self-register and then the register is completed by me or my TA by looking around the room and checking who we can see. In the past I have found formal register time each day to take up a quite substantial amount of time in terms of small children maintaining attention and sitting on the carpet. Although there is some learning, I felt the learning wasn't particularly progressive across the year and the time, which I've found to be the best slot of the day, when the children's powers of concentration are at their best, was better spent in a different way. Both myself and my TA say good morning individually to the children when they come in and we have a whole class, makaton good morning song so we still have that whol class welcome - just much more quickly.

Our children put their name on the magnet board and can write it on the whiteboard alongside if they want to. The older children in the group take a verbal register using a list on the clipboard at about 10 past 9. This gives them good practice recognising each other's names and speaking out in the group. (and is the list we grab if we do a fire dill.

At some point during the session I complete the one on the computer too.

Thank you for all your speedy replies! I was worried that taking the register formally was not the done thing anymore. I think I will continue as I am - like many of you have said, it gives me the opportunity to see exactly who is there. I like the idea of a welcome song Emmajess. I do a 'Wake and Shake' song to get us all moving. What welcome song do you do?

I have reception and at the beginning of the year the children had butterflies with their names on which theyt transfered from one large piece of card to another which said 'we are in school today' The children left were on the card saying 'we are not in school today'. Since Easter I now supply the children we 2 large sheets of paper (A2/ A1) and coloured felt pens for them to sign their names on. Then they find a book to look at on the carpet. My children come into school at 8.40 so while all this is going on I can mark the formal register too. My TA does the dinner register when the bell goes for start of school at 9 am. I have found it quite amazing how their writing has improved since I started this with them and they love using different colours or types of pens. I has really encouraged the strugglers to write their names independently and I have an instant record for assessment. I have to say, I feel much happier once the register is filled in and I know who is here for the day!!

Hi

My full time Foundation class self register by adding a card showing their name to a chart saying 'Who's Here Today?' They also add a picture card saying whether they are having a packed or school lunch or going home at lunch time. We then complete the school register from that. In the afternoons we take the register formally and use different greetings, sign language and things then.

Doing two different things during the day seems to work well - we don't interupt the flow of their play/interaction with each other in the morning to formally register them, but in the afternoon we do get them used to the who registration thing for when they move up.

Like you say we've not got enough time to do stuff just for the sake of it! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)